Why CR makes my head ache.

13»

Comments

• lavabubblelavabubble Posts: 229MI6 Agent
    Lazenby880 wrote:
    As regards Dame Judi, I can understand fully the motivation of the producers in keeping her on. She is a big name, a highly respected actress and a woman of calibre; it is hardly surprising that they decided to maintain that element of class.

She is??? All I know her from is the Bond films (and some TV show she was in with Admiral Roebuck from TND that airs on PBS now and then). I guess she's a big name in the UK, but I don't think she's a big star here in the US (correct me if I'm wrong).

Maybe for us in the US keeping her on doesn't have the impact that it would in the UK.

She is indeed a fine and well respected actress. The reason that she may not be such a household name overseas is probably down to the calibre and type of film role she generally takes, I'm not sure they are generally the sorts of films that gross well in the mainstream (and please be assured I am not trying to sound aloof here, I prefer Waynes World to Shakespeare In Love :)) ). If I may post these links, the first of which is a list of her major award wins and the latter is her imdb profile, the list of films being a clear indication that she has done much more than be in a shonky sitcom ;)

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/contributor/1800011678/awards

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001132/
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Judi's a hell of a Dame!
    I like the fact that Bond -- a notorious mysognist -- has a female boss. There's a touch of poetic justice that he takes orders from a member of a sex that he doesn't quite trust driving a car. I wonder if Ian Fleming would have gone that route at some point, had he lived to write more novels? And if M is going to be a she, Judi's a great choice. I wish we knew a little more about her. We knew Sir Miles was a naval officer, but we don't know much about her (perhaps her background was touched upon in the Brosnan films but I missed it)
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited December 2006
    I don't have a problem with Bond having a female boss (although I don't like that she psychoanalyzes him all the time) however I wish that Judy Dench hadn't been cast. I know that some members would roll their eyes at the mention of the dreaded continuity :D, but considering that CR was a reboot, *I would have preferred for someone other than Dame Judy to have been cast as M.

*I actually think that she was quite good. I would have just preferred someone else. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • delliott101delliott101 Posts: 115MI6 Agent
    Thanks for all the info on old Judi...