07 Number Plates

Disco VolanteDisco Volante Surrey, EnglandPosts: 543MI6 Agent
Isn't it funny that now the 07 plates are out to buy, people are buying them and trying to make a few quid out of us Bond fans.

Have you seen there's one on eBay for £50K :o

Some people really are stupid :#

Comments

• s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    It's like the people who buy loads of xbox's/Wi's/PS3's and sell them on ebay. If there are gullible idiots out there who will spend well over the odds. Good for them. If everyone had half a brain none of these scammers would make money.
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,200MI6 Agent
    s96024 wrote:
    It's like the people who buy loads of xbox's/Wi's/PS3's and sell them on ebay. If there are gullible idiots out there who will spend well over the odds. Good for them. If everyone had half a brain none of these scammers would make money.

EBay has begun putting controls in place on certain commodities like xBoxes and Tickle Me Elmos.

Modertately off-topic, but can someone give me some idea how the number plate system works in the UK? These various posts (and the auctions, for that matter) suggest you more or less own the number and can do what you want with it. In the US, while if varies some from state-to-state, the number more or less stays with car, transfering from owner to owner. You can retain "vanity" plates, of course, but I don't think you could sell them separately from a vehicle (at least not in California).
    I'm pretty sure any plate can be transfered to another car. But with the 007 plates. i.e the ones produced for cars which are made in the beginning of 2007 can't be put on an older car. So therefore you need a brand spanking new car to use it. These type of plates are quite recent. You can get the other plates like J B0ND or other very specified plates. Difference is the O07 plates are actually natural occurences in the number plate system. therefore the plates are actually O07 rather than 007. They begin with 2 letters then the first number is the time of year it was made beginning is 0, end is 5. Second number is year it is made 2007 is 7. Then 3 more letters. Therefore these 007 plates will only occur at the beginning of next year. But because the DVLA are greedy gits they auction of any plates which could be worth money to anyone. Therefore if you buy a new car in beginning of 2007 you won't get a 007 plate, unless you buy it seperateley.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited December 2006
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    Modertately off-topic, but can someone give me some idea how the number plate system works in the UK?
    A registration number stays with the car, wherever it moves to UK-wide, unless you buy the registration.

Basically, you can buy a private registration (vanity plate) and transfer it from car to car. But that's got to fit into the strict registration regulations that the UK has. You can't just request any old word or combination of numbers, it has to fit either the current or previous formats. And if the plate has an age identifier (post 1963) then the car cannot be older than the plate suggests.

In other words, to have an 07 private plate on your car, it has to be an 07 register or newer.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Steve Rush DI5 AgentSteve Rush DI5 Agent Oxfordshire, Great BritainPosts: 59MI6 Agent
    DVLA aren't exactly slow off the mark themselves. Check out their website to see the premium rates they are selling the "007" plates for.

The one I would have gone for, if I were in the position to want one, is still available... for £999!

SR
  • DEFIANT 74205DEFIANT 74205 Perth, AustraliaPosts: 1,881MI6 Agent
    The UK registration number system sounds rather confusing, but I suppose it is good to have a set system by which you can look at the plate and identify how old the car is. There is no such restriction in Western Australia - it is a simple progression of one number, three letters and three numbers, and even the oldest licensed vehicle can carry a brand new registration number.

I'm curious though, if that is the current system, then what does the old system look like? I guess I'm semi familiar with them, being on other boards with UK members, they talk about their cars being P-reg, N-reg etc etc ... Can someone please shed some light on the matter?
    "Watch the birdie, you bastard!"
    They used to be 1 letter 3 numbers 3 letters i believe. With the first letter changing to denote the year made, so you could use this system to work out the cars age it's just easier the new way. So it would go through the letters A-Z missing out letters which could be confused with numbers, for example O.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,767MI6 Agent
    My boos bought himself an Aston Martin this year; but he made sure he didn't get an 07 plate- he didn't want to look like a Bnd wannabe! :)