Fun or Annoying Imperfections

Here are some imperfections in the series, one per film, some more annoying than others:

DN: Don't worry, the spider's on the other side of the glass.

FRWL: I need to see this one again – I can’t think of any!

GF: A tad inefficient way to get the gold back from Mr. Solo…

TB: I know the underwater scenes are slow but, really, super scuba gear?

YOLT: No one notices when you hide a launching pad in a volcano.

OHMSS: We have the best Bond Girl and the best Blofeld but something’s missing…

DAF: Blofeld, what a drag!

LALD: Don’t be so scared, Rosie. You’ll be killed off soon.

TMWTGG: A Goodnight leads to a poor film.

TSWLM: Hamlisch loved his synthesizer – too bad I don’t.

MR: His name is Jaws – he used to kill people.

FYEO: When I said I’d like to see Maggie get the bird, that’s not what I meant.

OP: “Sounds like a load of bull” – I’ll say!

AVTAK: Roberts. Tanya Roberts.

TLD: I’ll bet you’re glad you went back for that cello now.

LTK: Newton. Wayne Newton.

GE: Xenia Onatopp - not as much fun as it sounds!

TND: I had expected more for a Pryce like that.

TWINE: When do we get to the opening credits?

DAD: Diamonds are forever. Or at least that same old plot is.

CR: Scratch his what?

Comments

• PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent

Ignoring whether or not we agree with the rest, I don't even understand why this, er, comes up? How is this scene an "annoying imperfection"?
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I find it annoying how Kara's Strad sounds exactly the same with a bullet hole. How exactly does that work?
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    I find it annoying how Judy Dench is seemingly playing a different M in a reboot, yet still insists on giving Bond a psychological lecture that is similar to the one she gave him in GE. :#
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Dan007Dan007 Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    edited December 2006
    I find it so annoying when Bond (in DAD) or any other professional picks up a hand gun and does'nt realize immediatley the magazine/bullets have been removed.The difference in weight is very substantial.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Dan007 wrote:
    I find it so annoying when Bond (in DAD) or any other professional picks up a hand gun and does'nt realize immediatley the magazine/bullets have been removed.The difference in weight is very substantial.

I know next-to-nothing about guns, but what you're saying sounds like the proverbial "famous last words" to me. I thought a person should always check to see if a gun is loaded when they pick it up. Especially the chamber. A single bullet there wouldn't seem to make much of a weight difference. I would think it would be second nature for a professional to check.
  • Dan007Dan007 Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    Dan007 wrote:

I know next-to-nothing about guns, but what you're saying sounds like the proverbial "famous last words" to me. I thought a person should always check to see if a gun is loaded when they pick it up. Especially the chamber. A single bullet there wouldn't seem to make much of a weight difference. I would think it would be second nature for a professional to check.

True,but I was refering to the fact they never notice when the whole clip is removed.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Dan007 wrote:

In the novelisation, Miranda bent the firing pin to stop it from firing. While there is nothing in the final movie to support this, there is also nothing to say that she simply removed the bullets. All we know is that the gun didnt fire when he wanted it to.
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Read some of the ones people post on imdb, their ridiculous. Some people have way too much time on there hands.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    In Licence To Kill, when Bond drags Pam into the pool, there is a tiny spot on the back of her dress that doesn't get wet straight away, and stays dry.

No matter how many times I see this film, that is always what catches my eye, and it drives me mad every time...
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • HankHank Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    How about the "fetch my shoes" in DN? Nothing like some early 60's racism.
  • GoldenBoyGoldenBoy Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    In Licence To Kill, when Bond drags Pam into the pool, there is a tiny spot on the back of her dress that doesn't get wet straight away, and stays dry.

No matter how many times I see this film, that is always what catches my eye, and it drives me mad every time...

Hahaha now I'm gonna notice that. Thanks
    TLD: I’ll bet you’re glad you went back for that cello now.

Awww. I thought the cello scene was clever. Sure there's no way it could play afterwards...
  • jbfreakjbfreak Posts: 144MI6 Agent
    Here are some imperfections in the series, one per film, some more annoying than others:

I thought they changed that and had a stuntman do it...
    And what about the impossible camera shots?
    OHMSS: We have the best Bond Girl and the best Blofeld but something’s missing…
    The only thing that bugs me in this movie is how fast all the action sequences are, fast as in the way they look on the film.

TSWLM: The way that Annya acts like she knows more than Bond.X-(

MR: How space flight suddenly became a reality.

OP: Kamal Kahn

AVTAK: Mayday, and her thong.
    Youre gonna whine of 2 lousy minutes

DAD: The whole movie
    Still havent figured out why thats annoying
    [/quote]
  • Double 0 ZeroDouble 0 Zero Posts: 30MI6 Agent
    jbfreak wrote:

I thought they changed that and had a stuntman do it...

The last time I watched it, I could see the skin on Connery's shoulder flattening against the other side of the glass plate the spider was crawling on.
    And what about the impossible camera shots?

Yes, they're even worse!

The PTS was much longer than 2 minutes.

I had a hard time thinking of anything really annoying in CR. <shrug>
    Youre gonna whine of 2 lousy minutes[/quote]

:))
    I didn't mean the PTS was ONLY 2 minutes, I meant that it was only about 2 minutes longer...being 12 minutes instead of the usuall 10 minutes. ;)
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    jbfreak wrote:

:))
    I didn't mean the PTS was ONLY 2 minutes, I meant that it was only about 2 minutes longer...being 12 minutes instead of the usuall 10 minutes. ;)[/quote]

And its one of the best,

the PTS was originally supposed to end at the banker scene, but wasnt exciting enough.

Listen to the best ever commentary by Michael Apted.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    the PTS was originally supposed to end at the banker scene, but wasnt exciting enough.

Haha, its sort of like the whole movie then, isnt it. But he did shorten the boat chase. As much as I like the boat chase, I feel that if it had been longer it would have seemed too long and overdone.
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    taity wrote:

Haha, its sort of like the whole movie then, isnt it. But he did shorten the boat chase. As much as I like the boat chase, I feel that if it had been longer it would have seemed too long and overdone.

Yea I would agree with what you said about the chase but the movie is fantastic :s
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • Harry PalmerHarry Palmer Somewhere in the past ...Posts: 325MI6 Agent
    I thought the Cello scene on TLD was fun, and credible enough. Less fun is the fact that a priceless object like that isn't restored at the first opportunity, and that she goes on to perform with it, bullet-hole and all.

Still, what most annoys me about TLD (which is a film I love despite its imperfections) is how Bond conveniently manages to find a ready-to-use bomb in the middle of the Afghan desert.
    1. Cr, 2. Ltk, 3. Tld, 4. Qs, 5. Ohmss, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Frwl, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Avtak, 20. Sp, 21. Fyeo, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg
  • Double-0-SevenDouble-0-Seven Posts: 6MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    The thing that makes me nuts about most action movies (not just Bond) is those amazing One-Punch Knockouts! Boy, do they come in handy!

The one that always stands out for me is at the end of Diamonds Are Forever when Blofeld is trying to escape in his pod, Bond runs over to the crane operator and just pulls him out of the crane and throws him on the ground and that's it! He's out of commission... Whew! That was lucky!!!
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    I'm fascinated with the way Ferrara says this.

"Smuggling operation."

No matter how many times I've seen FYEO, plus he says it several times. :p
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    My new favourite imperfection is a line from TSWLM, as Anya is describing the Siberian camp she attended. When Bond asks for specific hints, she explains (and I paraphrase): "Food is also important". DUUUH! If you don't eat, you die!
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    One of my long time favorites is Bond strolling up to the airline receptionist in LTK and there's no line whatsover.

007 doesn't wait in lines.

Then of course there's this helpful information.

"There's a dangerous criminal loose somewhere on the premises, oh, is that smoking or non? Enjoy your flight!" :p
  • Double 0 ZeroDouble 0 Zero Posts: 30MI6 Agent
    The thing that makes me nuts about most action movies (not just Bond) is those amazing One-Punch Knockouts! Boy, do they come in handy!

A related tactic is the old "bonk-someone-on-top-of-his-head-and-he's-out-cold" move. There was an action movie parody from the early '80s called High Risk, I think. In one scene, some mercenaries are trying to sneak quietly into this fortress. They konk a sentry over the head to knock him out but instead he yells out in pain from being hit, alerting the whole camp. Hilarious!
    Still, what most annoys me about TLD (which is a film I love despite its imperfections) is how Bond conveniently manages to find a ready-to-use bomb in the middle of the Afghan desert.

Well I thought that Kamrhan Shah gave him the bomb. Now where he got it is the question. But what I think is more annoying than that is Bond losing the bomb, finding it just in the nick of time, then timing it just right to blow up just as the trucks were crossin over the bridge.