Octopussy Lip-Sync Question

Watching Octopussy tonight close up on my computer I noticed that after 007 diffuses the bomb Maud Adams asks Magda where Khamal is going and she says "Back to India" but her lips don't look like she says "India" it looks like it was overdubbed.

Anyone else notice this?

Comments

• heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Watching Octopussy tonight close up on my computer I noticed that after 007 diffuses the bomb Maud Adams asks Magda where Khamal is going and she says "Back to India" but her lips don't look like she says "India" it looks like it was overdubbed.

Anyone else notice this?

I have always noticed that, and when i watch it with ppl they notice it too.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    This has always been an irritation to me. I think - though I am no lip reader - that Magda was saying something like, "Home of course". I presume the filmmakers were worried that the audience would not realise that meant India.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,454Chief of Staff
    Wasn't Magda dubbed throughout the movie?
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I doubt it. Lip syncing had gone out of fashion around that time.

Also, the actress who plays her not only speaks Enlgish well, but has a voice that sounds very similar to that. It was probably just some bad dubbing done in post production.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    This has always been an irritation to me. I think - though I am no lip reader - that Magda was saying something like, "Home of course". I presume the filmmakers were worried that the audience would not realise that meant India.

That makes sense. Magda kind of shrugs in that scene, though, like she's saying "I dunno"...and if you think about it, why would Magda know anymore than Octopussy? We do see Kahn and Magda together a fair amount for the first half of the film, but it's later revealed that she seems to be more Octopussy's proxy than Kahn's associate.

Words were obviously stuffed in her mouth to set the stage for the coming scene. Clumsy, yet effective.
  • rennervisionrennervision Posts: 106MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Wasn't Magda dubbed throughout the movie?

That's what I always thought. And so I always assumed the "Back to India." line was a case of poor dubbing. But now that I think about it, it is completely feasible she actually said something else.