are hardcore bond fans lame?

yaybondyaybond Posts: 8MI6 Agent
edited January 2007 in General James Bond Chat
This doesn't apply to everyone and sorry to those that it doesn't, but why is it that the crazy Bond fans who collect EVERYTHING that is James Bond always seem to be the complete opposite of Bond?

The extreme fans I've encountered have no social skils, NEVER get any dates, don't even know how to talk to women let alone have a conversation that isn't weird and awkward, have trouble holding jobs, live at home while not working or going to school until mid to late 20's, etc etc

yet they're obsessed with Bond. They can rattle off stats of how much money each film generated, exactly what awards each film won or was nominated for, what year each movie was made, etc etc - lots of trivial knowledge.

I mean, bond is ok and all - decent action movies and all, but that's about it. I typically enjoy them, but that's where it stops. I've been equating the huge fans to be somewhat akin to dungeons and dragons sorta people only they lack the sharp intelligence some of them have.

So it's my standing theory that all the hardcore bond fanatics want to be just like Bond - smooth, perfect, knows everything, great with getting hot women in bed, blows stuff up.

The Bond fanatics I know always talk up a big thing how they just started talking to this really hot girl online who after 1 small email stops talking with them. They're into guns just like bond. When they turn 21 they suddenly think drinking alcohol is such a refreshingly great thing and become picky about their drinks - just like bond.

It's just strange to me that someone can spend all their free time obsessing over their fake role model hero and let their life drift away into nothingness while other people their age are out educating themselves on things that actually do matter, learning to talk to girls and getting girlfriends, getting a worthwhile career going, buying an actual nice sports car - not some slow thing that mom and dad bought them

again I'm sorry. I'm just frusturated that I have a family member who spends his days at home watching the same bond movies over and over again while learning and memorizing every fact and figure about them instead of becoming his own reincarnation of James Bond

Comments

• Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    Perhaps his/her obsessive qualities stem from something other than an enjoyment of Bond. There are a lot of people in our society with awkward social skills or autistic or obsessive-compulsive traits, and many people who are "normal" are mistreated by others because they don't look or dress the way the people who mistreat them want people to. BTW, though I wouldn't call myself a "hardcore" fan in the way you describe, I can rattle off a fair amount of trivia about Bond. Of course, part of my job as an educator is to be able to do that, but the rest comes from simply being interested in something the same way, say, a sports fan might be. I'm told I've got good social skills, which is likely as all of my jobs have required them, and my love of Bond has in no way kept me from earning an above-average living, making friends, or having girlfriends. I'm pretty selective about the friends I make, though, and it's probably true that I don't hang around people who aren't bright and creative. Would that make me in the eyes of some people odd? Perhaps.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    I would be frustrated, too, in your situation. In fact, I have been in a similar one with a family member over video games. But the kind of fans you're talking are few and far between, and I don't think James Bond attracts anymore of that type than any other subject or activity. I think most of the people on this site are simply fans, whose keep their appreciation for the Bond character in the proper perspective. It's no more stifling to their lives than baseball fandom, or any other kind you can name. Assuming they're old enough to hold one, most people on this site appear to have jobs. They also seem to have a healthy interest in getting hot members of the opposite sex (sometimes the same sex) into bed -- in many cases those people happen to be their spouses or boyfriends/girlfriends :)) .

There have been a couple people who post here who seem to take it all just a little too seriously, but Bond fandom is the symptom of what ails them, not the cause, IMO. On a couple of occasions, the moderators have asked them to stop posting because they were just too weird.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    highhopes wrote:
    On a couple of occasions, the moderators have asked them to stop posting because they were just too weird.

...And yet I'm still here B-)

:v

:))
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    yaybond wrote:
    This doesn't apply to everyone and sorry to those that it doesn't, but why is it that the crazy Bond fans who collect EVERYTHING that is James Bond always seem to be the complete opposite of Bond?

The extreme fans I've encountered have no social skils, NEVER get any dates, don't even know how to talk to women let alone have a conversation that isn't weird and awkward, have trouble holding jobs, live at home while not working or going to school until mid to late 20's, etc etc

yet they're obsessed with Bond. They can rattle off stats of how much money each film generated, exactly what awards each film won or was nominated for, what year each movie was made, etc etc - lots of trivial knowledge.

I mean, bond is ok and all - decent action movies and all, but that's about it. I typically enjoy them, but that's where it stops. I've been equating the huge fans to be somewhat akin to dungeons and dragons sorta people only they lack the sharp intelligence some of them have.

So it's my standing theory that all the hardcore bond fanatics want to be just like Bond - smooth, perfect, knows everything, great with getting hot women in bed, blows stuff up.

The Bond fanatics I know always talk up a big thing how they just started talking to this really hot girl online who after 1 small email stops talking with them. They're into guns just like bond. When they turn 21 they suddenly think drinking alcohol is such a refreshingly great thing and become picky about their drinks - just like bond.

It's just strange to me that someone can spend all their free time obsessing over their fake role model hero and let their life drift away into nothingness while other people their age are out educating themselves on things that actually do matter, learning to talk to girls and getting girlfriends, getting a worthwhile career going, buying an actual nice sports car - not some slow thing that mom and dad bought them

again I'm sorry. I'm just frusturated that I have a family member who spends his days at home watching the same bond movies over and over again while learning and memorizing every fact and figure about them instead of becoming his own reincarnation of James Bond

Most people are not like that. Also, you do not have to be like James Bond to really like the sereis, I am very law-abiding, but my favorite movies(other than James Bond)are The Godfather series.
  • Smoke_13Smoke_13 Kitchener Ont CanadaPosts: 285MI6 Agent
    Are hardcore Bond fans lame?

Hmmm, I dont know. Are hardcore sports fans lame? Are hardcore workoholics lame? Are hardcore video game players lame? I would think that if you become so obsessed with anything in life that it completely absorbs all facets of your being that yes, it is pretty lame.

I consider myself to be a big Bond fan. I also have many non Bond related hobbies as I'm sure the rest of the board does too. For example, I love skiing downhill as people shoot bullets at me. I love chasing after gorgeous women that have strange names. I love driving fast cars that shoot oil slicks out the back. And last but not least, I love drinking martinis and flying around with my jet pack.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    People who are hardcore like that can be crazy over anything - be it Bond, Star Wars, Simpsons. Whatever they know alot about seems to be filling a void in their lives.

Is it just me, or can other people picture the comic book guy. Like the time he bought a 1000 buritoes and said "yes, this should supply addequete sustinance for the Dr Who marathon"
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Smoke_13 wrote:
    And last but not least, I love drinking martinis and flying around with my jet pack.

Hopefully you stick to a one martini limit when doing that, i sounds like a good way to cause an accident.
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    First: i'm not a James Bond Hardcore fan... i couldn't even if i want to, over here is a hell of expensive to have ALL the bond stuff that you can get (and isn't a lot).
    I like it because it doesn't matter how much i'll try i'll never be Bond (not as tall, as strong or British enough) but hey, i prefer a date to see a movie on tv.

Every fan has his/her right to like something, but there is a little thing called real life, and no matter how hard (or boring) it gets, we have to live it.

But all extremes are dangerous, i always hated the hardcore fans but i always associated them to the obvious themes (LOTR, Star Wars D&D) i haven't met a Bond hardcore (for the reasons above)

If they exist, you're right, they should be like that, if they don't behave as you say they really haven't got the "Bond's way of living".
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    I dont think that JB attracts 'Comic Book guy from the Simpsons' type of Bond Fans, they are Bond fans mainly would have a few posters and the VHS/DVD's.

I wouldnt say I am a huge bond maniac, but i know every year, crew etc etc. I dont think that James Bond attracts weirdo's to their Fan Base because its not a series that like Star Wars seems to attract people that like space and computers. Compared to JB fans that want to be part of that class and sophistication.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Based on observations at the local comic and toy conventions I regularly visit, I think that it's easy to formulate the generalizations made in the 1st post just about any popular hobby or interest. However, what makes this issue more sensational for Bond fandom is the unique paradox and contrast, as stated, to the object of the following.

Would it be less tragic if a fandom afflicted family member was obsessing over Napoleon Dynamite? It's the same deal, but without the paradox to easily sensationalize.

Or maybe, if a Bond fanatic multiplies his energies, he'll eventually reach a point of "self-Bond realization," recognize his geekness for what it is, to finally evolve into the true sophisticate that he's become...have faith :p
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    benskelly wrote:
    I can't believe all you people answered this guy's idiotic post... Which I'm guessing was a joke. Someone coming on here to see if he can insult Bond fans and get them to AGREE with him! His little bit at the end about someone at home being obsessed with Bond reads like complete bullsh-t. Yeah, so then he seeks out a Bond fansite to "ask" this oh so "sincere" question? Give me a break. He's winding you up.

Here's MY response: If Bond fans are losers, then how sad a loser are YOU for expending so much time and energy talking about us?

Oh yeah... You sound like you have a THRIVING social life. LOL.

Lots and lots of women...

:)) 8-) :))

Oh come on... it seems like a good question, i mean Bond is easier (expensive but easier) to IMITATE (without needed to be a 24/7 GEEK) to be rather than a fantasy guy. I mean, people would think to dye his hair (if they love Craig) or simply to get Blue/grey Contacts... but i don't think anyone would go to have a permanent "elf or spock" ears...

I haven't feel offended myself (because i kinda know me), but if there is a Bond fan like he defines his brother, is not a "fan" thing, is more like a "personal behaviour". i think there is no need for an excuse to be sitting in your living room and not have a life... i can do that only zapping.
  • ToshTogoToshTogo Rep. of South AfricaPosts: 103MI6 Agent
    I recently quit masturbating, playing chess, macrame' and wearing nappies, because I was scared that it might be lame hahahahahha
  • yaybondyaybond Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    I can't believe all you people answered this guy's idiotic post... Which I'm guessing was a joke. Someone coming on here to see if he can insult Bond fans and get them to AGREE with him! His little bit at the end about someone at home being obsessed with Bond reads like complete bullsh-t. Yeah, so then he seeks out a Bond fansite to "ask" this oh so "sincere" question? Give me a break. He's winding you up.

Here's MY response: If Bond fans are losers, then how sad a loser are YOU for expending so much time and energy talking about us?

too bad for you I'm married

I'm just irritated that instead of getting his life together, getting out there working, and going to college, and making something out of himself - which is something girls tend to go for, he spends all his time watching movies at home and memorizing Bond stats.

What's sadder is it's completely worthless. You can't do anything with that knowledge. I mean, at least some hobbies and interests can be made into a career or open a store. WTF is he going to do? Open a James Bond store? You think that'd go over really well? There's nothing to show for it and nothing anyone does can motivate him.

sorry if you think I'm posting a bunch of BS, I suppose it might look that way huh? Cause how could Bond obsession ever become a negative thing?
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    yaybond wrote:

too bad for you I'm married

I'm just irritated that instead of getting his life together, getting out there working, and going to college, and making something out of himself - which is something girls tend to go for, he spends all his time watching movies at home and memorizing Bond stats.

What's sadder is it's completely worthless. You can't do anything with that knowledge. I mean, at least some hobbies and interests can be made into a career or open a store. WTF is he going to do? Open a James Bond store? You think that'd go over really well? There's nothing to show for it and nothing anyone does can motivate him.

sorry if you think I'm posting a bunch of BS, I suppose it might look that way huh? Cause how could Bond obsession ever become a negative thing?

James Bond is merely the subject matter. Therefore, tracing the cause for lameness to Bond ("are hardcore bond fans lame?") is an invalid argument to make. Your relative's problem has more to do with general attitudes and behaviors. As I mentioned, it's easier for you to affront this person because of the contrast between the "suave" subject matter and this person's actual lifestyle, at the risk of diverting attention from the real issue, if that is any business of yours in the first place.

BTW, lest you think I'm not qualified to speak, I am a geek of many interests, though Bond is a main one. However, I know better to keep my interests in place and rest assured that I am fully engaged in my life's more important activities, such as career, marriage and parenthood.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    edited January 2007
    benskelly wrote:
    Riiiiiiiight.

I'm so worried about your "brother". (wink wink)

Your second post under the name "YayBond" has really sold me on the authenticity of your statements here.

I have a message for you and your wife of many years: You write like a 13-year-old.

must've hit a nerve...

why are you stooping to name calling? I never insulted you or even James Bond. You sound incredibly defensive when I'm just explaining my situation. I'm sure the same could be said for all sorts of hardcore additions to antisocial hobbies. He goes to movies by himself frequently and otherwise stays home watching movies or reading about them online. With James Bond being the primary series he watches

As far as my screen name, well you'd understand if your brother has spent the last 10 years rambling off James Bond stats to you all the time while wasting their life away. I used to like James Bond just fine until it was constantly in your face to the point that I can't ever think about James Bond without thinking about my brother's situation.

benskelly,

I'd email you or private message you if this site allows a link to another site having nothing to do with James Bone where I started a thread about my brother's situation and in 1 day has accumulated 97 posts...I'd just rather not post it publicly because it reveals too much information about me. For all I know my brother is on this site
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    yaybond,

Your real question shouldn't be generalized to hardcore fans of Bond or anything else.

In describing himself, superado also describes me (and, I suspect, many others here). If "lame" means I can recite Bond films verbatim, discuss half-second voice dubbings, earnestly debate which of 20 different gunbarrel sequences is best, and read and write endless paragraphs on the subject of James Bond...I am guilty as charged. However, I have three children, a wife of 17 years, a steady well-paying job, numerous other interests and a vibrant social life.

If your brother truly behaves as you claim, he may have a serious disorder...or he may simply be content to live his life in a way you find irritating but he finds comfortable. If you are really serious about changing his behavior, I suggest you stop wasting time posting to this website and figure out how to help him. What good are you doing him here?

You should also take a writing course -- adults tend not to say things like "this really hot girl online" and "not some slow thing that mom and dad bought them".
    Hilly...you old devil!
    edited January 2007
    Sir Hillary Bray

you're right. I have hobbies that I'm very knowledgable with too. But I don't let them ruin me.

I was being a bit sarcastic and actually somewhat quoting my brother when I said those things you pointed out. And BTW there's no comparing his car to mine, different leagues. Viper vs a tiburon...he brags about his tiburon being fast - nuff said. And he didn't even buy his
  • HankHank Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    We are probably all a bunch of losers and don't even know it.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    First of all, everyone, calm down. There is no reason to call people out on the legitimacy of their posts and ESPECIALLY to indulge in name-calling. Keep it civil or posts will be removed or the topic will get shut. (Geeze, I hate sounding like the Dad who says, "If you kids don't stop, I'll turn this car around RIGHT NOW!")

Second, yaybond, I don't think it's fair to blame BOND for your family member's lack of a life. You could say that I'm a hardcore fan in that I watch the movies, can quote them, know the novels, and have a modest collection; but I also have a job, responsibilities, and a very busy life. Posting to AJB every day is usually the extent to which Bond affects me. Also, a lot of the fans who collect "everything" do so because they can AFFORD to do it. We don't look at men who collect vintage cars as weirdos, so why should we think that way about someone who has an enormous Bond collection? If your family member is incapable of holding of job, has no social skills, and spends all his time watching Bond movies, then 007 is just a symptom and not the problem itself.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Hardyboy wrote:
    If your family member is incapable of holding of job, has no social skills, and spends all his time watching Bond movies, then 007 is just a symptom and not the problem itself.

Gee thanks, HB. Take away all my excuses, why don't you! sheesh! 8-)
    :))
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    First of all, everyone, calm down. There is no reason to call people out on the legitimacy of their posts and ESPECIALLY to indulge in name-calling. Keep it civil or posts will be removed or the topic will get shut. (Geeze, I hate sounding like the Dad who says, "If you kids don't stop, I'll turn this car around RIGHT NOW!")

Second, yaybond, I don't think it's fair to blame BOND for your family member's lack of a life. You could say that I'm a hardcore fan in that I watch the movies, can quote them, know the novels, and have a modest collection; but I also have a job, responsibilities, and a very busy life. Posting to AJB every day is usually the extent to which Bond affects me. Also, a lot of the fans who collect "everything" do so because they can AFFORD to do it. We don't look at men who collect vintage cars as weirdos, so why should we think that way about someone who has an enormous Bond collection? If your family member is incapable of holding of job, has no social skills, and spends all his time watching Bond movies, then 007 is just a symptom and not the problem itself.

I agree, and I think that this has gone off hand.
    yeah you guys are right, I was just frustrated and used this forum to vent it.

I know James Bond didn't cause things to go as they did. He has some issues and it's just easy to latch onto Bond as a target. But really there's bigger problems at work

I didn't mean to offend anyone
    edited January 2007
    changed it cause I realized it was wrong 8-) - old habbit
    I moved to Colorado springs about 3 weeks ago near the airport. I didn't even know you lived here until you mentioned it...

whatever
    benskelly are you back yet???

I know you can't resist my thread...come back please
    edited January 2007
    benskelly wrote:

WE moved. Don't forget your wife.

Yeah she thought she'd come along too B-)

hold on, I gotta edit this post just to annoy you

ahhh there
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Isn't this what PMs are for? Get a room, guys.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I believe this topic has reached it's final destination. In the future, if one feels a need to address the legitimacy of another member's posts, (and vice versa), do please PM that said member to your heart's delight. This forum wasn't made for your personal arguments. We don't want to hear it. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.