Brosnan's new film trailer- Seraphim Falls

John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
The trailer for 'Seraphim Falls' is up on Youtube. It looks quite good. Up there on my list of must-see films for 2007, with 'Rocky Balboa,' 'The Good Shepherd,' and 'Arrivederci Amore, Ciao.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGFl82-lBs8

Comments

• Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    Looks like an OKAY movie. Thanks for the trailer.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Thanks, JD. I'd read where Brosnan was filming a Western. I'm a fan of the genre, so I'll check it out. It looks good. With Liam Neeson as a bonus.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    I agree that it it looks good. I'm a huge fan of westerns, and of course I like Brosnan (as well as Neeson) so I'll definitely see it. My problem, however, is that here in Australia we still haven't gotten The Matador. :#
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    {quote=High Hopes} Thanks, JD. I'd read where Brosnan was filming a Western. I'm a fan of the genre, so I'll check it out. It looks good. With Liam Neeson as a bonus.

Cheers. I like a good Western myself, although I prefer Leone and Peckinpah, to the classic John Ford style movie. I think 'Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid,' might be my all time favourite Western.
    Dan Same wrote:
    I agree that it it looks good. I'm a huge fan of westerns, and of course I like Brosnan (as well as Neeson) so I'll definitely see it. My problem, however, is that here in Australia we still haven't gotten The Matador. :#

Might be worth getting 'The Matador,' on import DVD. It's well worth a look. -{
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:
    Might be worth getting 'The Matador,' on import DVD. It's well worth a look. -{
    Thankyou. :) I might just do that. I guess I'm just hoping against hope that it come to the cinemas eventually. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    I had to import Seraphim Falls on DVD from the States as it didn’t look like it was heading for the UK any time soon. It’s not a bad film by any means, but it is utterly predictable. It deals with weighty themes like sin, and redemption, but does so in a way that is heavy-handed and obvious. Liam Neeson hunts down Brosnan’s former army colonel who is indirectly responsible for the deaths of his family, but the script lacks the courage of its convictions and practically absolves Brosnan from any of the blame. It feels like a cop-out. Especially coming after the Australian-made The Proposition which put its characters on a path towards an inevitable violent showdown, but left you wondering who, if anybody, would escape unscathed. Seraphim Falls seems tame in comparison.

That said, Brosnan continues to impress after his superb turn in The Matador. I was surprised by how well the fight scenes were handled between Brosnan and Neeson. Prior to seeing the film, I didn’t think Brosnan looked capable of physically troubling a heavyweight like Neeson, but he’s very convincing. I hope he can continue to find projects that test him like this.
  • XeniaXenia 2nd star to the right, straighPosts: 28MI6 Agent
    I bought this movie first day it was available in May. Was waiting for months and months to hit the theatres here in Canada, but Sony didn't even release it, just went straight to DVD. You've got no idea of how disappointed I was of that, I mean Brosnan in a Western? How great was that?

After watching the film, it seemed unique, can't find another word for it. And since I've only watched it once, (father in law borrowed and hasn't returned it yet!!) I thought this one is going to be a guilty pleasure movie. I think there should have been an extra or extended scenes for some parts, but the whole handling of the back and forth timelines were appropriately placed. I do think that Neeson did shine in this movie, he was perfect for that part. So hurt, so determined, so singleminded in his pursuit. And I felt bad for Brosnan's character, he just wanted to forget his past but it haunted him, not a night went by when he didn't have nightmares of what happened. The one thing that I thought was weird, was the woman in the dessert. Over all, this pic is 8 out 10. (and a pretty decent film for a western. The snow scenes were, like whoa, poor chap.)
    Seraphim Falls finally has a UK release date. It reaches these shores on August 3rd. Though I feel that Evan Almighty will take most of that weekend's box-office.
    As a fan of Westerns who would love to see them make a comeback, this one was on my list. Unfortunately, it didn't last long in theaters here (no ninjas, I guess). I'll have to rent the DVD.

One of the reasons I want to see Seraphim Falls is to see two non-Americans do their roles (I'm hoping they didn't feel they had to play natives). I've always thought Westerns were ripe for all kinds of foreign-born actors and accents, since the West was full of the same in real life. I loved Richard Harris as the gunfighter in Unforgiven.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Highhopes -

Your dead on pardner! Even though "Silverado" was in many ways a "slock" but fun western, the best charecter in it was John Cleese, the Sheriif from "not around these parts". We need more film charecters like him!

Since most of the people headed West in the old days were from Europe, I've always wondered where all the accents went.

Of course John Ford used the Irish alot and the ocassional German.
    highhopes wrote:
    As a fan of Westerns who would love to see them make a comeback, this one was on my list. Unfortunately, it didn't last long in theaters here (no ninjas, I guess). I'll have to rent the DVD.

It's worth a look HH. It's definitely an interesting film. I must recommend the Australian-made The Proposition as well. And a Western with ninjas in it would be a great idea. :)) Start writing that screenplay! [/quote]

One of the reasons I want to see Seraphim Falls is to see two non-Americans do their roles (I'm hoping they didn't feel they had to play natives). I've always thought Westerns were ripe for all kinds of foreign-born actors and accents, since the West was full of the same in real life. I loved Richard Harris as the gunfighter in Unforgiven.

Both Brosnan and Neeson use American accents. Personally I would have preferred Neeson to use his native Irish brogue, but I don't know enough about the history. Neeson is playing a Southern Colonel, while Brosnan is the Northern equivalent. Would an Irishman have fought for the South? Also Brosnan uses a strong American accent, although his own accent away from film, seems to be a mixture of Londoner and Irishman, with a touch of posh and a hint of American. I much prefer to hear actors talk as they normally talk. Although I quite liked Daniel Day-Lewis's accent in The Last of the Mohicans where he seemed to mix and match.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Would an Irishman fight for the South?"

Please refer to "Gone with the Wind" Scarlett's father, Gerald O'Hara was as Irish as Irish can be - after all that's where Scarlett's salvation - her "love of the land" comes into play - It's her Irish heritage.

If PB and Neeson are talking "American" I'll put the flick down a few steps on my "must see" list.
    edited July 2007
    7289 wrote:
    Would an Irishman fight for the South?"

Please refer to "Gone with the Wind" Scarlett's father, Gerald O'Hara was as Irish as Irish can be - after all that's where Scarlett's salvation - her "love of the land" comes into play - It's her Irish heritage.

Absolutely correct

There were a great many Irish in the first wave of immigration that settled in the antebellum South. A great many in the North as well, especially later, and they didn't necessarily sympathize with the Northern cause. In fact, the New York draft riots during the Civil War -- which you may recall from Gangs of New York -- were largely Irish. Many at that time were already competing with free blacks for jobs in the North and viewed freed slaves as a threat.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Well this thread has sold me: I really need to see The Proposition. ;) Guy Pearce is still my favorite alternate universe Bond actor, just think he would have nailed the character similar to what Craig did.