"how is he going to get out of this?" moments

Watching the Bonds, there can be occasions when he gets into such a predicament, you really start to wonder how he's ever going to get out ofit.

OK, you know the man will never die, but there were moments in the series where it was impossible to think of a plausible way he could escape, only for him to do so!

I remember being in the cinema foe GoldenEye, a new Bond after 6 years away, and when he goes over the edge on the motorbike and plunges downwards, I was shocked, maybe he'll die and the rest of the film and sequels will be prequels to this moment??? No. When it became obvious he was going to fall into the plane and fly it to safety, I swear everyone in the cinema let out the loudest collective groan ever!!

Personally, my number 1 "how is he going to get out of this?" moment would have to be the coffin sequence in DAF, truly terriying and clearly no escape! A bit of letdown how he actually escapes, really.

Comments

• A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    Just watching the DAF coffin scene makes me claustrophobic, never mind filming in one.
  • Smoke_13Smoke_13 Kitchener Ont CanadaPosts: 285MI6 Agent
    That's funny. DAF was my first Connery Bond film. I had seen TSWLM and FYEO prior to that moment. I was around 12 years old at the time and I thought Bond was incapable of being bested ever.

I can remember seeing Bond trapped in the coffin and wondering how he was going to escape. When he was not able to escape on his own my 12 year old brain immediately passed judgement on Connery as a pathetic Bond. I told my friends at school the next day, "Someone had to let him out, that's so stupid!" At age 12 seeing Bond in a predicament that he couldnt get out of using his own merits or a at least some kind of gadget was very shocking to me.

I will close this post by saying that seeing Bond get lucky with the odd escape now isn't so bad. It actually adds a sense of realism to the films. No man in Bond's line of work would be able to survive that long without some lucky experiences here or there. As a post-post note, Connery is my Bond of choice today regardless of how I felt erm...those 26 years ago.:o
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    For me, it's when he's on the crocodile island in LALD. Still my favorite Bond escape, all these films later.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    I do not pay much attention to those, because I know it is a movie.

Oh, and also you are right Smoke 13, the first time I saw the coffin scene in DAF, I was very dissapointed by the outcome.
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    For me it's that classic scene in From Russia With Love set on the Orient Express as it thunders through the night while the gun wielding psychopath Red Grant has an unarmed Bond on his knees."The great James Bond",Grant sneers as he aims his automatic at 007's forehead.

Of course I knew that Bond would find a way to outwit and overpower his adversary(he's the film's hero,after all),but Bond sure looked like he was really in danger.I've seen all of the movies but I can't recall another moment to equal this one in terms of Bond being depicted in credible jeopardy.It's a moment that's brilliantly written,staged,directed acted and filmed--and for an instant it looks like Bond's number is up...
  • Pierce_BrosnanPierce_Brosnan Posts: 329MI6 Agent
    For me it's that classic scene in From Russia With Love set on the Orient Express as it thunders through the night while the gun wielding psychopath Red Grant has an unarmed Bond on his knees."The great James Bond",Grant sneers as he aims his automatic at 007's forehead.

Of course I knew that Bond would find a way to outwit and overpower his adversary(he's the film's hero,after all),but Bond sure looked like he was really in danger.I've seen all of the movies but I can't recall another moment to equal this one in terms of Bond being depicted in credible jeopardy.It's a moment that's brilliantly written,staged,directed acted and filmed--and for an instant it looks like Bond's number is up...

The scene you have described is one of my favorite scenes of any movie. Bond's face and dialogue were very memorable.
  • jbfreakjbfreak Posts: 144MI6 Agent
    I always wondered about the torture chair in TWINE. First of all I'm not so sure that the bullet from Zukovskies walking stick would have done what it did. Second, I doubt he could have aimed it that good. ANd last but not least, what if he would have missed!! Then Bond would have been stuck there.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I distinctly remember being on the edge of my seat while watching Licence to Kill in the theatre during the the underwater fight sequence. Bond was surrounded by three or four goons, pummeling him and cutting his air supply. I recall asking myself that very question: "How is he going to get out of this one?" I was delightfully surprised by the resolution, particularly by the concept that not only did Bond escape the clutches of the goons, but made out with millions of dollars. Pure Bond, IMO.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Scaling the cliff to reach the Monastery in FYEO.

There's no doubt in my 007 mind, that scene always places me on the edge of the seat. It's amongst some of the most suspenseful of Moore's tenure. (along with defusing the OP bomb and escaping the crocs)
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    The centrifuge scene in MR still has me on the edge of my seat even though I know Bond is going to save himself with the dart gun. Seeing him in such visible distress as the G forces severely contort his face really grips me every time. He's frantically pressing the "chicken" button and nothing's happening.

As for Bond's greatest escape. For me, that is stepping on the crocodiles backs in LALD. Classic Bond moment.
  • HankHank Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    After DC got his testicles beat to a pulp in CR, I was pretty sure he wasn't getting up and running away from that one.
  • ChelaChela Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    "I remember being in the cinema foe GoldenEye, a new Bond after 6 years away, and when he goes over the edge on the motorbike and plunges downwards, I was shocked, maybe he'll die and the rest of the film and sequels will be prequels to this moment??? No. When it became obvious he was going to fall into the plane and fly it to safety, I swear everyone in the cinema let out the loudest collective groan ever!!"

What is truly funny/wonderful about this particular scene is that it was lifted wholesale frome an episode of Flash Gordon from the 30s or 40s. After seeing the film, I was watching tv early one morning and got hooked into the serial...I kid you not, Flash did the exact same thing!

As much as I love PB, it's sad that everything old truly is NEW again (remember the coach scene Raiders? Another lift, this time from a western).

Ah well, that's flicks for ya!

Che
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited January 2007
    My brother and I really loved the climax of the GE PTS---Brozzer chasing the plane off the edge of the cliff on the motorcyle---was it OTT? Of course. But it was also very ballsy, and it quite effectively defined the Brosnan Bond for the duration of his tenure, IMRO. The fact that the rear-projection was a bit poor, and his 'free-fall' looked as if it was aided by wires ;) only slightly mitigated a great 'Bond Moment.'

I have to go along with MNL on Bond's escape across the back of the crocodiles in LALD---also a debut film for a new Bond actor---it was a defining and 'ultra-cool' Bond moment, made moreso by the outtake footage of the stunt man's scary injury on the DVD extras :o And the centrifuge from MR is absolutely one of Moore's finest moments in the role :007)

For Craigger's debut, it simply has to be the splendid torture sequence. The fact that Bond was saved by a deus ex machina---as he was in the novel---does not diminish the moment at all, as far as I'm concerned, since it's the character with which Bond was prepared to meet his fate that was the real hook...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    The Golden Gate Bridge in AVTAK, when anyone moved too far off the beam after watching it years after the fact, I was on the edge of my seat!