The most thrilling car chases in movie history

RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
Like most guys, I love a good car chase. IMO, they're few and far between nowadays. I was having a discussion with co-workers that swelled to about half of the office as to which car sequence was the coolest for your buck. At the bottom are a few of the films that were brought up for consideration as King Of Crash. If I have forgotten any please do not hesitate to add. ;)

BULLITT
According to me and my grandmother(God rest her soul) Steve McQueen was the epitome of cool so it was easy to mount an arguement for this being the BEST EVER sequence for a chase. It's done the old school way and despite the sensationalism of technology today, this still stands the test of time in my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTvMwNl2fEI

RONIN

Simply one of the best scenes that I have laid eyes upon in quite awhile..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQa-RSSRrVM

MATRIX RELOADED

Some of the younger guys favored this over all the others mentioned. Clearly a generational thing although I did like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87L829hjp2A

THE SEVEN-UPS

The other car chase scene that I could closely compare to BULLITT was this one. Some circles think that it's the best. Again, done the old school way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMYtPnFaGVY
Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
-Batman: The Brave & The Bold -

Comments

• Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Thanks, Rogue. Before I even read your post, the topic title had me thinking "Bullitt and Ronin" to myself. Then I saw them at the top of your list. Great minds...B-)
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    There are a couple that come to mind:

The Blues Brothers has a couple of pretty memorable car chases, especially the one at the end where half of Chicago is seemingly after Jake and Elwood.

The car (or rather truck) chase at the end of The Road Warrior (a/k/a Mad Max 2) is a really memorable one. In fact all three Mad Max movies are chock full of great chases.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    It may not be car chasing car, more like car chasing overhead train. It's definitely thrilling, and it's an absolute classic.

The French Connection car chase

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqRaLUN98aY
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Thanks, Rogue. Before I even read your post, the topic title had me thinking "Bullitt and Ronin" to myself. Then I saw them at the top of your list. Great minds...B-)

Yeah, Hilly, exactly what happened to me when the discussion was brought up and in that order. I love BULLIT so much that I want to own my own dark green '68 Mustang one day, put on a turtleneck and floor it on the highway. :D
    TonyDP wrote:
    The car (or rather truck) chase at the end of The Road Warrior (a/k/a Mad Max 2) is a really memorable one. In fact all three Mad Max movies are chock full of great chases.

How did I ever forget the climax to that one. Superb. I hear many film schools use this picture for their classes.
    It may not be car chasing car, more like car chasing overhead train. It's definitely thrilling, and it's an absolute classic.

The French Connection car chase

I'll take it. I will agree that it was intense. You have to wonder what's going through the hitman's head when he sees Doyle at the bottom of the stairs especially since he thought he had lost him. :))

• John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    William Friedkin's 'To Live and Die in LA,' with its anti-hero cop going the wrong way on a freeway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i52cJRLlgQ

Also, I quite like this, from Luc Besson's 'Subway,' with Christopher Lambert escaping from some gangsters.

There's a link here, but every time I tried to follow it to make sure it worked Youtube claimed it was no longer available. It is there though. Just type in, Subway 1985 Car Chase, if the link doesn't work for you either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1J7ghAzZGE
  • Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    Some great suggestions here, and many thanks to those of you who've posted the Seven Ups and LADILA clips - two I've always wanted to see.

The obvious best ones have already been mentioned, so I'll chip in with Against All Odds - fantastic and realistic chase through traffic with a Ferrari 308 and a 911 Cabriolet. Couldn't find it on YouTube, sorry.

And Fear is the Key is one that's often overlooked. That was on YouTube, but seems to have been removed.

Finally, the original Gone in Sixty Seconds (74). 40 minute car chase, all featuring the same stunt car. Great stuff.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,725MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    BULLITT
    According to me and my grandmother(God rest her soul) Steve McQueen was the epitome of cool so it was easy to mount an arguement for this being the BEST EVER sequence for a chase. It's done the old school way and despite the sensationalism of technology today, this still stands the test of time in my eyes.

Very good (and one with Mk. II Jags in Peter Yates previous London-set film is pretty cracking too) but a major problem with this is that it has absolutely nothing to do with the plot. So there's very little drama to it, which robs excitement. I was quite disappointed. It's like comparing the ski chases from OHMSS and FYEO- the FYEO is probably better, but the OHMSS is more exciting because we know Bond has got to get away- we feel the danger and importance.
    And the cars are a bit too powerful to make it exciting in a way. It's too easy for Steve.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RONIN

Simply one of the best scenes that I have laid eyes upon in quite awhile..

They're both crackers in that film, but I think they've been outdone by the Taxi chase in The Bourne Supremacy. Hugely exciting, important to the plot, very dangerous-feeling and full of proper high speed risk-taking. The driving-the-wrong-way bit in the Ronin chase looks very staged next to the Bourne chases. If someone's driving towards you the wrong way you swerve- you don't just flash your lights and drive slowly straight ahead.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,725MI6 Agent
    RogueAgent wrote:
    THE SEVEN-UPS

The other car chase scene that I could closely compare to BULLITT was this one. Some circles think that it's the best. Again, done the old school way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMYtPnFaGVY

Ooh lovely- thanks for sharing!
    edited January 2007
    John Drake wrote:
    William Friedkin's 'To Live and Die in LA,' with its anti-hero cop going the wrong way on a freeway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i52cJRLlgQ

Also, I quite like this, from Luc Besson's 'Subway,' with Christopher Lambert escaping from some gangsters.

There's a link here, but every time I tried to follow it to make sure it worked Youtube claimed it was no longer available. It is there though. Just type in, Subway 1985 Car Chase, if the link doesn't work for you either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1J7ghAzZGE

Thanks for posting those, John Drake. I may be one of the few that hasn't seen TLADILA in its entirety but I've heard good things about it. It's something about big and boxey cars in high speed chases that seems so cool. :)

I've never seen the Lambert film; is it a crime comedy? I sort of got that vibe from it.

emtiem wrote:
    Ooh lovely- thanks for sharing!

Glad you enjoyed it, Em. Seven-Ups' chase scene a closet favorite of mine and a great cop movie. ;)

• BestBondSeanBestBondSean A Bavarian in CornwallPosts: 108MI6 Agent
    Best ones have been mentioned, one i want to add is the BMW commercial shortfilm(s) with Clive Owen as 'The Driver' called 'THE Hire'.
    Used to be available for download or on DVD apparently not any more, i'd look on ebay for a decent DVD version.
    link to all 8 shorts on imdb
    http://www.imdb.com/keyword/the-hire/
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    My favorite is from Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, the entire film is a car chase. From the opening supermarket heist to the jaw dropping climax. Susan George and Peter Fonda in a 69 Dodge Charger R/T with a 440 cubic inch V-8 engine, pursued by Vic Morrow and the entire state? Sign me up!

(warning extreme spoilers)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Mary,_Crazy_Larry
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    [quote=RogueAgent
    I've never seen the Lambert film; is it a crime comedy? I sort of got that vibe from it. quote.

It's sort of a quirky mixture of thriller/comedy with a love story thrown in. Lambert's an impetuous safecracker, hiding in the Paris Metro from gangsters working for the man he robbed. Not that he's a bad guy though, he just wants to makes sure the man's rather attractive wife, Isabelle Adjani, agrees to see him again. It's worth a look. Although it's VERY 1980's, which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on how old you are. And Lambert's brilliant. Funny that, he's made so many dodgy films, but with the right material he's a striking presence.
    John Drake wrote:
    [quote=RogueAgent
    I've never seen the Lambert film; is it a crime comedy? I sort of got that vibe from it. quote.

It's sort of a quirky mixture of thriller/comedy with a love story thrown in. Lambert's an impetuous safecracker, hiding in the Paris Metro from gangsters working for the man he robbed. Not that he's a bad guy though, he just wants to makes sure the man's rather attractive wife, Isabelle Adjani, agrees to see him again. It's worth a look. Although it's VERY 1980's, which is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on how old you are. And Lambert's brilliant. Funny that, he's made so many dodgy films, but with the right material he's a striking presence.

Thanks, John. I will try and check it out. ;)

• s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Bullitt always wins the "Best car chase" question. There was a tv show about it recently where it won. I would also add The Italian Job
  • chris Walkenchris Walken Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    Im not sure about none Bond movies so i will post this link to the best Bond car chases http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crtQZUGmfO0
  • Bullitt68Bullitt68 Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    Many good choices but I'll have to go with Bullitt being #1.
    Bullitt68 wrote:
    Many good choices but I'll have to go with Bullitt being #1.

{[]

C'mon now, Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo blows this entire list away. And what's up with all these weak muscle cars? The sheep dog van in Dumb and Dumber, now there's a real vehicle. You guys need to get with it.
    Alex wrote:
    C'mon now, Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo blows this entire list away. And what's up with all these weak muscle cars? The sheep dog van in Dumb and Dumber, now there's a real vehicle. You guys need to get with it.

Can you somehow do a YouTube version of Herbie and The French Connection together? :))

RogueAgent wrote:
    Alex wrote:

Can you somehow do a YouTube version of Herbie and The French Connection together? :))
    Why, to compare how Don Knotts and the Love Bug are both superior? :D

Just kidding, this one's for you, RA.

rcc-44b4cbf46ec81burninrubber4.jpg
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,289MI6 Agent
    Just pitching in... how about The Bourne Supremacy. Catch it tonight on ITV1, UK viewers!

Or just watch it here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCHzmKplMi0
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    There are faster, more visually spectacular chases, but for my money, Popeye Doyle racing the El train station-to-station inThe French Connection is still the biggest nail-biter on four wheels. It's different than all the others in that it's not Doyle's safety you worry about. It's the civilians. It seems so real; and the reason, from what I understand, is that Friedkin 'forgot' to tell city officials that he was going to film the scene. Except for a few well-timed effects, much of the traffic Doyle was dodging was real. Friedkin's lucky no one got hurt.
    Alex wrote:
    Just kidding, this one's for you, RA.

rcc-44b4cbf46ec81burninrubber4.jpg

Thanks alot, Alex. Yes, tops in movie history! {[]

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin' ;)