Replace Dame Judi?

2»

Comments

• heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:
    Which would leave us where? With a fresh vital new series, or a Star Trek-like winding-down of the whole thing with constant 'I'm getting too old for this ****' lines? The series has somewhere to go now, CR as a last hurrah for Pierce or an old Bond would have taken us nowhere. And it's not as interesting, to be honest.
    Tee Hee wrote:
    You're right that we are not following Bond on his journey through life, but he does follow our world's timeline. He's been through the Cold War and now he's part of the post 9/11 world. But since he has been an established agent pre 9/11 he should remain so post 9/11.

So which world events did we see Bond effected by? 911? He was in a jail during that and was conspicuously outdated as soon as he stepped out. And no-one even mentioned it. At least in CR it's dealt with, is a factor behind the plot.
    The only real-world event we saw Bond affected by was the wall coming down; so this precious continuity gave us neither a personal journey nor a historical one. So why not throw it out? The proof's in CR- hardly anything has been changed.

Finally someone to agree with.

Why are people so afraid of change? The feeling I had when I left CR was finnaly something fresh, it reminded me of the SC era and what James Bond should be.
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    Don't you just love when topics gets personal?

Ok, Dench's M... i'm in the group i don't like the idea but my mind changed with the execution (even if it isn't 100% book alike)

regarding anything... Book Bond always worked with the same M since his first assignment, but a new M will bring him some troubles (or awkward situations)

The problem in CR was to cast a New Bond, a New M a new moneypenny and a new Qbut that is very hard.. lets recap:

The three first Bonds shared almost everything, so no big deal.

Brown came in a "world" with the same Bond, Q, and moneypenny... this is the day nobody know if he wa Messervy or an ascended Almirant Havergraves. But he worked with Bond in a good way. Not the best but not so wrong.

Dalton brought a new moneypenny and not the "penelope swallow (?)" that Lois Maxwel tried to train... she did two movies and probably everybody hate her... as well as Dalton, i mean their relation might be superb but there is no comparative line.

Brosnan, Samatha Bond, Dench... almost everybody loved them.

there you have my point.

The questions are:

-When the new M comes to town? bond 22, after Craig?, with Craig?
    -Is a she or a he? is Sir Miles Messervy or Dame Margareth Messervy? or somebody else?
    -Why a new M (probably won't be explained), no kidnap, no ransom, no resignation, no story whatsoever.

i can't think anything else....
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    Why are people so afraid of change? The feeling I had when I left CR was finnaly something fresh, it reminded me of the SC era and what James Bond should be.
    It's not about fear of change. But, hey, you're right, change is indeed a good thing. Which is why I would assume that you would not have a problem with Craig's replacement being a gay black female. :p :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters

So, to get back on topic, replacing Dench as M would be a good thing, right? ;)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    I can't help but be reminded of the novel The Man with Golden Gun when, after surviving Bond's assassination attempt, M looks at the chair in his office and says, "My predecessor died in that chair..."

An obscure literary precedent, to be sure, but I remain convinced that the best way to take Dame Judi out of the role---whenever the time comes, whether it's in #22, #23 or #24, bearing in mind that she's 72 now and not getting any younger---is to take her out :v

What better revenge for the (as yet) unnamed "organization behind Le Chiffre" to take agains MI6---other than the killing of Bond, and we know that won't happen...what better way to propel the story forward with irrestible momentum?
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Whoa! Easy there, big guy! We were just talking about replacing Dench...not rubbing her out! :o
    darenhat wrote:
    Whoa! Easy there, big guy! We were just talking about replacing Dench...not rubbing her out! :o

:))

Well...I've recently been engrossed in the HBO show 'Rome,' so perhaps I'm projecting a bit :v :D Still, when Brutus and the Senate decided it was time for a change, they didn't just re-cast...

All I'm saying is---when it is time to re-cast, why not do something truly unprecedented in Bond history, and kill her? {[]

Long life and good health to Dame Judi herself, of course...
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Well...I've recently been engrossed in the HBO show 'Rome,' so perhaps I'm projecting a bit :v :D Still, when Brutus and the Senate decided it was time for a change, they didn't just re-cast...

All I'm saying is---when it is time to re-cast, why not do something truly unprecedented in Bond history, and kill her? {[]

Et tu, Loeff? :p
    Hilly...you old devil!
    "I come to bury Dench's M, not to praise her..."

:D
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    "I come to bury Dench's M, not to praise her..."

:D

You know the killing won't stop with Dench's M. They say the first one is always the hardest. :v
    "Not to worry. The second is---"

[phut! phut!]
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Yes, considerably. :007)
    Shorthand, between the enlightened, is a beautiful thing {[]
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    My congratulations, gentleman, on a terrific and very entertaining conversation. :D After a less than ideal day, it has really brightened up my mood. -{
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    Posted elsewhere, but if they're not going to to use any Fleming plots ofr the next one, having M assassinated would be an interesting jumping off point, and as I also said elsewhere, I'd love to see the new M seem as if he could have BEEN Bond 30 years ago. Terence Stamp, Ian McShane - a guy who's less of a priss, but a former hardass who's been forced by age into a desk job. And he's not happy about it.