OHMSS Schiltzhorn/Piz Gloria/Murren Cam Photograph.

kees007kees007 Posts: 88MI6 Agent
edited January 2007 in The James Bond Films
Hi, this is pretty neat. Especially if you're a huge fan of OHMSS. This is a
very interesting Bond location and I'd highly recommend if you are able to
visit this one. It's perhaps the coolest (in more ways than one!) Bond place
on the planet.

The restaurant on top has 007 on it every other window or so. And below the
"helicopter" deck, they'll have an OHMSS special film that is playing in a
small theater. The trip to the location is expensive, but you can get a
pretty good meal at a fairly decent price on top of the mountain, about
$20.00 or so, which isn't bad for Switzerland at all. You can also see the
crest of Blofeld, which is hanging next to a public telephone and you can
also see the stairs leading to the restaurant with the golden round rings motive
in it. The one that Tracy pulled one of SPECTRE's men through.

Anyways, here is the link to the CAM:

The OHMSS Piz Gloria Schiltzhorn Link

Best Regards,

Kees

P.S. the price I was refering to was based on my visit in 1994

Comments

• Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    edited January 2007
    I am going to Switzerland in March to the Lauterbrunnen area for nine days, and I hope to visit Murren and Piz Gloria. When you say the trip to the location is expensive, do you mean the cable-car ride is expensive? Any idea how much?? The trouble is that I'll be on a tight budget on this trip.
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Think he means ski holidays in Switzerland are expensive. I can't believe a trip up the cable-car is that much.
  • kees007kees007 Posts: 88MI6 Agent
    Back in the mid nineties, when I took that trip, I stayed in Interlachen. I took a 1/2 hour traintrip to Murren and then a lift up and down the mountain and back to Znterlachen. That trip cost me about $90. I thought that was expensive. The average dinner in Interlachen was about $40-$50 in a restaurant. We ended up eating at McDonalds for %12.00 for a hamburger/fries and a coke. I thought all of this was quite expensive, compared to the USA. (You'd probably get the same meal for about $4.00 back then).

Having said that, the meal on top of the Mountain, i.e. in Blofeld's hide out, was only $18.00 back then, which for Switzerland, I thought was very inexpensive.

This is a picture of yours truly on Piz Gloria.

me_ohmss.jpg

Kees
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    Kees, did you manage to go to the place where they filmed the train station where Bond and Bunt meet?
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,308MI6 Agent
    That is Lauterbrunnen station, so he probably did...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited January 2007
    Kees, did you manage to go to the place where they filmed the train station where Bond and Bunt meet?

Yes, I did. I also spoke with several of the locals there. Some of them remembered when the film was made. I don't remember that much of it.

This is the story that I wrote afterwards and that was published in the Ian Fleming Foundations' Newsletter:

A visit to Piz Gloria

Ernst Stavro Blofeld's allergy treatment is not only therapeutic, it's also the least expensive meal in Switzerland. The catch involves the $65.00 you'll need to pay to reach Piz Gloria's peak, but what else would you expect from SPECTRE?

My name is Boer. Kees Boer. Last March I returned to my country of origin, Holland, to visit my parents and travel Europe with my friend and fellow Bondian, Dominic Marrone. An avid Bond fan, I dared not miss the opportunity to see "the Piz." Of course, this site is not to be confused with that wonderfully amusing statue of the little boy in Brussels, but was Blofeld's headquarters, constructed for the film "On Her Majesty's Secret Service." So, Dom (under the code name Perignon) and I packed our bags for the train to Interlaken.

The first thing we noticed about Switzerland was the price. A quick dinner at McDonald's runs between ten and fifteen American dollars. The same meal here in the States might be a grandiose $3.00. Swiss dining at more Bondian restaurants was at least $30.00. For that much money, I'd rather buy some Bond memorabilia.

After paying $65.00 each for tickets, we took a couple of trains from Interlaken to Murren. From there a cable train lifted us to Piz Gloria via Birg, the large blue building that can be seen in OHMSS. This is where the guards refused to let Sir Hillary's "friend" visit the clinic.

The cable train brought us to the peak of Shiltzhorn, the mountaintop where Piz Gloria is now a full-service restaurant. Although the helicopter landing pad is now square instead of round, the restaurant is the same inside as during location shooting. Now I know that curiosity killed the cat, but we were no sooner inside, than I opened a door closed to the general public. The door swung wide to reveal...a gigantic poster of The Living Daylights!

Piz Gloria revolves once around every hour, giving its patrons a gorgeous view of the Alps. That sight alone is worth the trip, especially since the windows have "007" emblazoned on them. The food in the restaurant was great. I downed a hot cup of "007 Infernal Kaffee" with a chicken dinner, and finished with the world famous "007 dessert". The menu had 007 printed on it, and George Lazenby and Diana Rigg stared up at us from the zeros.

Speaking of "Mrs. James Bond", the gold-colored wall divider, that she pulled Blofeld's henchman in the movie through, is still there to be seen. Several of the circular openings are now stuffed with rocks that were local archeological finds. I guess they look more appetizing then SPECTRE heads!

As we left the restaurant by the staircase, we entered a hallway that had movie still blowups from OHMSS strung from the ceiling in giant glass frames. Following the hallway, we came to a theatre, located directly underneath the heliport. In this small cinema, brief excerpts from OHMSS are shown continually. It was an eerie feeling to watch the film and be on its location at the same time.

Reluctantly, we made our way down the mountain, and I noticed a rock outcropping that seemed familiar. Suddenly, I recognized it as the spot where Bond threw a SPECTRE skier off the cliff to his death. I made a quick decision to stay safely aboard the cable train.
    Dominic and I had a great time in Europe. I brought back as many awesome Bond souvenirs as I could through customs. I would love to trade some of them for other Bond items and can be reached at (904) 335-0142. When I arrived home, the first Bond film I watched was OHMSS. It was exciting to see it again, and remember all the sights.

(The phonenumber is no longer valid and I've traded most of the stuff of the trip already. I've got a closet full of Bond stuff that I need to sell or trade. The problem with finding it, is that it is not very organized and thus it will take me a while to find. I will say this on the cost. If you decide to go, you can offset some of the cost, by picking up some memorabilia and selling/trading it. For instance, I picked up a stack of Bond Napkins that the waiter gave me. I was able to trade them quite well here in the US. This is what they look like:

pizglorianapkin.jpg

Also this is the crest of Blofeld.

ohmsscrest.jpg
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    kees007 wrote:

me_ohmss.jpg

Kees

Kees, did you have a pistol handy for this photo?
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    edited January 2007
    superado wrote:
    kees007 wrote:

me_ohmss.jpg

Kees

Kees, did you have a pistol handy for this photo?

Actually, I had just bought that James Bond Toy Gun in Interlaken, the day before. It was made by a company named "Wicke" and it has some LTK stuff on the box. I still have it. I bought four at the time. Gave one to Matt Sherman as a gift and the other two, I traded somewhere.

It's plastic and totally black, but if you look very carefully on the picture, it says 007 on the gun in small golden letters. (It's right above my the tip of my index finger) If someone painted over the small golden letters, it would look real!

Kees
    edited March 2007
    I have just returned from Switzerland fresh from a weeks skiing and fantastic weather. I paid a visit to the Schilthorn and visited the famous Piz Gloria restaurant. It was a great experience, enhanced by the fact that the weather was so clear and the view from the Schilthorn was amazing. It was a fantastic experience and I can recommend it to anyone, Bond fan or not.

mattpizgloria.jpg
    A pic of myself at Piz Gloria.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Golrush007 wrote:
    I am going to Switzerland in March to the Lauterbrunnen area for nine days, and I hope to visit Murren and Piz Gloria. When you say the trip to the location is expensive, do you mean the cable-car ride is expensive? Any idea how much?? The trouble is that I'll be on a tight budget on this trip.

I have been there the last time around 7 years ago. The fare to the top is has been around US$ 40,-- each person, but if you are there before 9:00 o'clock you may save some money.

Greetings and enjoy Lauterbrunnen, Bond and Bunt met at Lauterbrunnen main station, you can't miss it!

Markus
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Bondtoys wrote:
    I have been there the last time around 7 years ago. The fare to the top is has been around US$ 40,-- each person, but if you are there before 9:00 o'clock you may save some money.

Greetings and enjoy Lauterbrunnen, Bond and Bunt met at Lauterbrunnen main station, you can't miss it!

Markus

I discovered when I was there that if you have a ski pass (the pass which gives you access to the ski lifts etc. also gives you access to the cable car up to Schilthorn so I didn't have to pay any extra to get up there which was great. Had to take the cable car down though, as I wasn't good enough to ski the black run down from the top of Schilthorn!!
    Golrush007 wrote:
    I have just returned from Switzerland fresh from a weeks skiing and fantastic weather. I paid a visit to the Schilthorn and visited the famous Piz Gloria restaurant. It was a great experience, enhanced by the fact that the weather was so clear and the view from the Schilthorn was amazing. It was a fantastic experience and I can recommend it to anyone, Bond fan or not.

mattpizgloria.jpg
    A pic of myself at Piz Gloria.

That's a great picture of you at Piz Gloria. That's an amazing place, isn't it? I'm glad that you had such clear weather. When I was there, it was totally overcast, so I really couldn't see much of the outside. The next day, it was clear, oh... well. Did they still have the crest hanging there of Blofeld and the 007 napkins and the the 007 on the windows?

Kees
    Hi kees.

I certainly didn't see any 007 on the windows (I did look out for that), nor did I see any 007 napkins. The Blofeld crest was still there, as was the short OHMSS compilation clip. There were also nice paintings of Lazenby, Savalas and Rigg in the souvenir shop.

I went to the revolving restaurant but I'm afraid I only had a bowl of french fries (Fleming would not approve!!)
  • down2000down2000 Santa Monica, CAPosts: 75MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    Does anyone know how far this location is from Lake Lucerne?
    Golrush007 wrote:
    Hi kees.

I certainly didn't see any 007 on the windows (I did look out for that), nor did I see any 007 napkins. The Blofeld crest was still there, as was the short OHMSS compilation clip. There were also nice paintings of Lazenby, Savalas and Rigg in the souvenir shop.

I went to the revolving restaurant but I'm afraid I only had a bowl of french fries (Fleming would not approve!!)

I don't know if they took it from the windows, but there were gold letters on the windows, saying 007 on it and they had 007 napkins. This is a scan of one:

ohmssnapkin.jpg

I have a photograph of the 007 on the windows, but it's not readily available.

But with all this, I have to say that I visited it in 1994, so that's already 13 years ago. Boy, time flies. (I guess Billy Ray Cyrus was right)

Kees
    Just if anybody is interested I have added some photos from my trip to Piz Gloria to an article on my blog. I originally wrote the article back in April, but upon looking through my photos today, I felt that I should add them.

Hope you enjoy them, it's certainly a great place to visit!