Mathis returns in QoS

2»

Comments

• s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Out of curiosity, wasn't it always meant to be November '08?

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/730/730250p1.html
  • 3rbrown3rbrown MI6 Top Secret - Scotland, GlaPosts: 100MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    Wasn't Mathis shot in the back after giving Bond the drink of water and salt (If salt was what it was)
    Thanks I forgot what M said
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    3rbrown wrote:
    Wasn't Mathis shot in the back after giving Bond the drink of water and salt (If salt that was what it was)
    He was shot with a stun gun. There is no evidence that he is dead. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,885Chief of Staff
    Dan Same wrote:
    3rbrown wrote:
    Wasn't Mathis shot in the back after giving Bond the drink of water and salt (If salt that was what it was)
    He was shot with a stun gun. There is no evidence that he is dead. ;)

Not only that, but in the phone conversation Bond has with M toward the end of the film, M says that Mathis wasn't involved and Bond insists she keep sweating him. You can't get blood from a turnip; neither can you get info from a dead man!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • CatarinitaCatarinita Posts: 25MI6 Agent
    Uep, and seems like he will return - then LE Chiffre was bluffing when he said that "Mathis was his friend"=) I actually like the character in the books - is said to be Bond's friend ;)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    edited February 2007
    Catarinita wrote:
    Uep, and seems like he will return - then LE Chiffre was bluffing when he said that "Mathis was his friend"=) I actually like the character in the books - is said to be Bond's friend ;)

Indeed, Catarinita...Mathis truly is one of Bond's best friends in the novels...in Dr. No, we learn that Mathis saved Bond's life after 007 was struck by Rosa Klebb's poison shoe-tip at the end of FRWL...

Welcome to AJB, by the way {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • CatarinitaCatarinita Posts: 25MI6 Agent
    Mathis truly is one of Bond's best friends in the novels...in Dr. No, we learn that Mathis saved Bond's life after 007 was struck by Rosa Klebb's poison shoe-tip at the end of FRWL...

Welcome to AJB, by the way {[]

That's actually what I meant)))) Just chose the wrong word for it=)))) Soz=)

And thanx - nice to be here))) -{
  • scottmu65scottmu65 Carlisle, Cumbria, UKPosts: 402MI6 Agent
    I think Mathis should return for Bond 22, also the reason for Le Chiffre regarding Mathis as "His Friend" was because Mathis was a double agent, working on both sides
    http://www.classicbondforums.tk - Please support our community.
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    the only friends that Bond has in the Novels are Mathis and Felix Leiter. hopefully we can see the development of both these relationships in future films.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Happy to have Mathis back, wish Green wasn't coming back. Would prefer someone a little more visually interesting. Hopefully it will be mostly brief flashbacks. As for Jeffrey Wright, he was given so little to do in CR I don't think it matters if he is back or not.
    Happy to have Mathis back, wish Green wasn't coming back. Would prefer someone a little more visually interesting. Hopefully it will be mostly brief flashbacks. As for Jeffrey Wright, he was given so little to do in CR I don't think it matters if he is back or not.

Don't worry, Barry, I'm sure Vesper's cameo will be suitably brief :p And I'm looking forward to a more fleshed-out friendship between Bond and Leiter...
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    I kinda get the impression, Leiter was only introduced in CR, amd will play a much greater role in the future of this current Bond arc. Patience, grasshopper.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:
    I kinda get the impression, Leiter was only introduced in CR, amd will play a much greater role in the future of this current Bond arc. Patience, grasshopper.

I hope they don't revert to using a different Felix for every film. I'd like to see Jeffrey Wright brought back and given more to do.
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    Does anyone know why it was a different Felix for every film in the first place?
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,472Chief of Staff
    Solaris wrote:
    Does anyone know why it was a different Felix for every film in the first place?

Well, here's some info...

In pre-production of GF, Jack Lord (Felix in DN) said he'd play Felix again for equal salary and billing with Sean Connery. This being clearly a non-starter, the part was recast.
    Before filming on TB, Rik van Nutter was a dinner guest of the Broccoli family and made enough of an impression to be cast as Felix.
    David Hedison was a personal friend of Roger Moore's, who from time to time would suggest casting a friend in his movies (eg Robert Brown). Due to the increased importance of Felix to the plot of LTK, it only made sense to bring back someone who'd played the part before.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I think because they hired someone as well known as Wright as Leiter they must have already decided to make him a returning character/actor.

Jeffery Wright was one of the few actors I had heard of when the cast was annouced.
    taity wrote:
    I think because they hired someone as well known as Wright as Leiter they must have already decided to make him a returning character/actor.

Jeffery Wright was one of the few actors I had heard of when the cast was annouced.

I think it's great that Jeffrey Wright and Giancarlo Giannini are both reprising their roles in this one...the direct continuity between CR and QoS is historic, and IMO will greatly enhance Craig's arc in the role of Bond.
  • cbdouble07cbdouble07 Posts: 132MI6 Agent
    taity wrote:

I think it's great that Jeffrey Wright and Giancarlo Giannini are both reprising their roles in this one...the direct continuity between CR and QoS is historic, and IMO will greatly enhance Craig's arc in the role of Bond.

Definitely. I've always felt like the switching around of actors for various roles such as Felix Leiter and Blofeld hurt the films a bit. I think that direct continuity in the roles is necessary, especially in a film like QoS that follows directly on the heels of CR. The producers seem to be doing everything right at this point to bring a new golden age to the series. B-)
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I take it cbdouble07 that you objected to the various recasting of Blofeld.

It is such a shame that they couldnt get just oen actor and leave him there. Especially for DAF - I think seeing the same actor that had murdered Tracy as the villian would have blown people away. Such a shame
  • cbdouble07cbdouble07 Posts: 132MI6 Agent
    taity wrote:
    I take it cbdouble07 that you objected to the various recasting of Blofeld.

It is such a shame that they couldnt get just oen actor and leave him there. Especially for DAF - I think seeing the same actor that had murdered Tracy as the villian would have blown people away. Such a shame

I definitely objected to the various recasting of Blofeld. The switch between YOLT and OHMSS actually didn't bother me that much because I felt that each actor fit well in the film that he was placed, though I would have preferred the producers to find just one guy and stick with him. The switch in DAF is what really irks me. It's like they were trying to put as much distance as they could between DAF and OHMSS. Everything is so different including the tone of the film and a completely different Blofeld. Not only is he a different actor but he looks NOTHING like Blofeld. Not having Telly Savalas back for a story of revenge was a mistake in my mind. But this is partly the fault of the order the producers made the films. If they had stayed true to the novels we'd have YOLT following OHMSS and this would have made more sense in the grand scheme of things. Instead we have DAF, the Fleming novel unrelated to Blofeld/SPECTRE, and it was like the writers just had no idea what to do. So they shove the getting revenge for Tracy stuff to the side in the teaser and then get on with a light-hearted romp that clashes with the tone of the prior film.