PLEASE HELP- A level media students, representation of Bond Girls

We are avid Bond Fans and are studying for our A levels, we have decided to base our Critical Research on Bond Girls. Our question is "Has the portrayal of women in Bond films changed with time?" I was wondering if anyone had any opinion, idea, quotes, sourses or anything it would be much appriciated.
Tim and Alex

Comments

• Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited January 2007
    There's an excellent book that could help you.It's called Bond Girls Are Forever-The Women of James Bond.The authors are Maryam d'Abo and John Cork.This is a detailed history of the Bond Girls from Dr.No up to and including Die Another Day.Every one of the Bond actresses is profiled, and all of those who were alive at the time the book was published were interviewed.There's also a companion documentary on DVD with the same name hosted by Maryam d'Abo.

By the way,none of the actresses ever said that they disliked appearing in a James Bond film or felt that their roles were somehow demeaning.Their individual opinions are all quite interesting,however.

A good university library should have this book in it's collection.If it's not available in your school,you might consider requesting it via an interlibrary loan.

Good luck on the paper.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Timmers09 wrote:
    We are avid Bond Fans and are studying for our A levels, we have decided to base our Critical Research on Bond Girls.

Ahhh yes. Those grueling hours spent slaving away in the lab ...

*Sigh* How I miss my college years.
  • Timmers09Timmers09 Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    Cheers mate, just ordereed it off amazon 7.59 bargin! x
    Yep thats us! have you got any information on it then!?
  • GrishenkoGrishenko Posts: 45MI6 Agent
    I don't know if they've changed. I think everyone wants to say they've changed over the years, because for some reason it makes people feel good to do so.

In reality, though, many of Ian Fleming's female characters (the original Bond girls) are notable for their lack of... I don't know... "feminine subordination?"

Honey Rider seemed socially inexperienced, and yet she was literally an encyclopedia of knowledge. Domino stands out for her brash attitude. Vivienne Michel is extraordinarily adventurous, if a bit romantic. Many of the literary Bond girls are described as "driving like men," Fleming's 1950s way of saying they broke free from the subordinate feminine mold.

People get really excited about characters like Jinx, who supposedly show how far Bond girls have come by having one who's also an agent - "Bond's equal." I believe these people overlook the fact that the very first Bond girl, Vesper, worked for the government herself.

I don't want to demean the underlying cause. I think, generally, the traditional role of women in the 50s and 60s needed to change; equality was a necessary but difficult fight. I believe we stand in a better place today than we did when the Bond novels were written, and when the first films were made. The CONTEXT of the stories has changed drastically, but I don't think the women have become any stronger or occupied any more valuable a role in the stories, especially in relation to the social context.

In most of the Bond stories, the Bond girl plays some real role in the plot/action. Even Tatiana Romanova, whose job was to look beautiful to lure Bond into the trap, is (literally) given a shot to seriously affect the storyline at the end of the movie.

Finally, who can forget those strongest of characters who, incidentally, are classified as "Bond Girls." May Day, Xenia, Octopussy, Pussy Galore and, especially, Tracy. Sure, they're nice to look at, but so is Bond (from what I'm told)...
    thank u that was of much help! ive put that all in my essay!
    what is ure opinion of Judi Dench's role as M? Many thanks tim
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    I think the only real change reguarding bond girls is the fact that in the more recent films, Broasnan films especially, the Bond Girls have been made Bond's "equals" and I put the expression in quote marks, because I don't believe it myself. they have all become strong willed Allied Agents, inderpedant girls. this is most likely to to try and persuade Women that the james Bond fanchise does not discriminate women.
    Thank you for all your help, has anyone else got any opinions?
    Hi, my exam is comming up and i just need some final opinions from anyone? men or women? girls boys? comments.

Anything to do with the representation of bond girls?
    If its changed within time?
    Favourite Bond Girl and why?

PLEASEEE!
    Many thanks
    Tim
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,520Chief of Staff
    Superficially, the fashions for clothing have certainly changed with the times. There's been a slight move away from displaying lots of flesh- with the exception of Halle Berry's introduction in the (in)famous bikini in DAD, which was deliberately designed to draw direct comparison with Ursula Andress in DN, none of the more recent leading ladies have worn such outfits although certainly many of the supporting actresses have.
    Cheers thats really helpful, what does everyone think about that they are called Bond Girls? and not Bond women? plus the begining titles;the women are always seen or implied dancing nakid or something similar to this.