Ultimate edition singles

Just saw 7 Ultimate Editions at Wal-Mart here in the States. They were priced under $10 but the bonus features are practically non-existent. You get the restored movie and a commentary and that's it. Just wondering if anyone has purchased them? Will there be more releases with ALL the bonus features included?

Comments

• Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    That's probably something specialy made for Wal-Mart. I know that Wal-Mart likes to edit the movies down some to make them more family-friendly. I also know they like to sell stuff cheap. It's up to you though if you want to buy them. Maybe down the line, the UE will be released in a Best Buy or Circuit City, loaded with the features. Good luck.
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    As far as I can tell, the single discs are devoid of any extras, not just at Wal-Mart. Circuit City iss selling them for $7.99 each when you buy 2 or more. I would lay odds that the movies will be released again in Blue Ray or HD format with the extras reinstated. I love cosumer friendly marketing.
  • Ice Station 0Ice Station 0 Posts: 44MI6 Agent
    I think I'll pick one up for the price, it is restored afterall. I'll let you know how I make out.
    I would like to retract my above statement. I was in Target earlier tonight and saw singe UE DVDs for sale. With the features mentioned in the first post. So it's not just a Wal-Mart thing.
    I picked up Thunderball at WalMart. I popped it in this morning and it is part of the Ultimate Editions collection, same opening graphics/menu selection, just scaled down features. Impressive for the price plus I didn't want to buy the boxed addition that featured Thunderball so this worked out well. The interior brochure says that all the dvd's will be relased as singles soon. Happy days!
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    The interior brochure says that all the dvd's will be relased as singles soon.
    About time too. No way in hell I buy a box set for 1 or 2 movies.
    I had to snag Goldfinger and The Spy Who Love Me. Goldfinger looks incredible as did Thunderball. The transfers are indeed amazing.
  • Scouser_MikeyScouser_Mikey Posts: 9MI6 Agent
    The only one I have is Dr No, I haven't checked disk 2 out yet but the film itself looks great.
    Just picked up Thunderball. WOW it looks and sounds as if it is a different movie. Amazing!
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    These individual dvds are the exact same as the Ultimate Edition sets. With out the second bonus disc of extras, and no slim jewel case. (You still get the commentaries though)

If you're looking only for that select choice in your collection and are quite happy with spending 9.44 plus tax on a remastered dvd, receiving only the meat without extra gravy, these are exceptional deals.

If I wasn't a fanatic and already owned the four sets, I'd have picked these up by now..

I'd like to point out that while Walmart edits some of their more risque music cds for profanity, movie dvds have never been touched and are the exact same you get at BestBuy, Borders, etc.
    When are the rest going to be released?
    Alex wrote:

I'd like to point out that while Walmart edits some of their more risque music cds for profanity, movie dvds have never been touched and are the exact same you get at BestBuy, Borders, etc.

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up. I guess i was misinformed, as was the person who told me.
    Good question. Does anyone know? Anyone?
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent

No; but I know that you can buy the 2 disc edition singles on Amazon (through their marketplace stores).
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent

The next batch includes From Russia Wth Love, You Only Live Twice, The Man With The Golden Gun, Moonraker, The Living Daylights, and The World Is Not Enough. They will be released on 22 May 2007.
  • Alan_moreAlan_more UKPosts: 73MI6 Agent

The next bunch is planned May 22.
    edited March 2007
    RJJB wrote:
    The next batch includes From Russia Wth Love, You Only Live Twice, The Man With The Golden Gun, Moonraker, The Living Daylights, and The World Is Not Enough. They will be released on 22 May 2007.
    Thank You!
    Moonraker, The Living Daylights than all I need is Diamonds are Forever, AVTAK to complete the collection. :D
  • Napoleon Han SoloNapoleon Han Solo Posts: 78MI6 Agent
    Thank you for the info, I also only want to buy maybe my top 12...but let me add my voice to those saying Thunderball looks incredible...God, that title sequence as you see the ripples form into words! It all looks too beautiful. And even the more recent Moores are noticeably different.

In some ways there are drawbacks...this was my first time of seeing GF that I realized at the beginning Auric is playing cards against a screen showing people at a pool, and not an actual pool. Or are my eyes playing tricks on me?
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    The clarity was indeed amazing. Lowry did a tremendous job. Never has that Venice ending looked so beautiful.
  • Napoleon Han SoloNapoleon Han Solo Posts: 78MI6 Agent
    Oh, let me just also add kudos to Sir Roger for his commentaries, to me they really added a lot of fun to watching TSWLM and FYEO. He really has a charming, self deprecating sense of humour, and is full of praise for so many others involved that made it work. He's definitely from the "If you can't say anything nice" school. It made me laugh a bit the way he said Lynn Holly Johnson in FYEO was a great "figure skater" and "skier." Curiously absent was praise for her acting. That sort of thing amused me greatly with Moore's commentary. Nobody does it better. :p