An equal with Bond

wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
You know how in recent Bond films there is always a bond girl who almost defensively claims to be 'an equal with Bond' when questioned about the Bond girl stigma.

Well, I was thinking about this, and hasn't there been a strong Bond woman in nearly every movie, and don't they nearly always need to be rescued by Bond at some stage no matter how 'equal' they are?

Is there fundamentally any difference between the strong willed Honey, and the feisty Wai Lin. After all, they both have to be rescued in the final reel. And are Fiona in Thunderball and Pussy in Goldfinger any less Bond's 'equal' than Pam Bouvier or Jinx?

When you think of it like this, the whole 'equal with Bond' thing, that I know irritates alot of you, is ridiculous. Any actress should be proud to follow in the footsteps of these strong female characters and not be so defensive! :)

Comments

• JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Natalya is Bond's most equal counterpart, however she does it without being nauseating.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    words, you have hit perfectly on the whole nonsense of "Bond's equal". Many films trot out the proverbial "female equal" yet Bond ends up bailing all of them out in the end. Anya, Wai Lin, Jinx -- they'd all be dead if not for 007.

Personally, I prefer women who are not presented as a phony equal to Bond, but rather "earn their stripes" through their actions. Take Domino. No one would deny she's a coddled, spoiled mistress -- hardly a poster girl for feminism. Yet Bond is dead if she doesn't shoot Largo in the back. It could be argued that she is truly Bond's equal, based on her courage and on the fact that she undeniably saved his life.

Sorry JFF, don't see as much of this with Natalya.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    words, you have hit perfectly on the whole nonsense of "Bond's equal". Many films trot out the proverbial "female equal" yet Bond ends up bailing all of them out in the end. Anya, Wai Lin, Jinx -- they'd all be dead if not for 007.

Personally, I prefer women who are not presented as a phony equal to Bond, but rather "earn their stripes" through their actions. Take Domino. No one would deny she's a coddled, spoiled mistress -- hardly a poster girl for feminism. Yet Bond is dead if she doesn't shoot Largo in the back. It could be argued that she is truly Bond's equal, based on her courage and on the fact that she undeniably saved his life.

Sorry JFF, don't see as much of this with Natalya.

Yes that's right, and thinking about it , what about Tracey? Spoilt little rich girl but tough as old boots in the final analysis.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    What these various Bond actresses have characterized has "equal" is usually ill-defined: do they mean their character is Bond's "equal" in resourcefulness, cool, courage, fighting ... or do they simply mean their characters is as intrinsic to the story as Bond? There's a difference. I don't think any of them have been the former, and only one the latter: Vesper. The rest have been wishful thinkers (That's right: Hunt could easily have cut all of Tracy's part, especially that 45-second soft-focus montage to Louis Armstrong warbling a third-rate song -- for him, one of the greatest artists of the age, that is -- that so many go "aaawwwww" over and it wouldn't have hurt the story one bit). It would have been impossible with CR's story arch.
  • crawfordbooncrawfordboon Posts: 126MI6 Agent
    Yes Bond has to save many of the "equal" women in the end, but they save him at many points during the films too. I'd say that kinda makes up for it.
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Women like Anya Amasova, Wai-Lin, Jinx, Holly Goodhead, and Pussy Galore are considered as Bond's equals in that they are trained intelligence agents (or in Ms. Galore's case, qualified to be an intelligence agent) at the same level. So what if Bond has rescued them in a scene or two? They still managed to hold their own. And as I recall, Jinx managed to save Bond's life while she was strapped to some kind of stretcher. Holly Goodhead helped Bond destroy those capsules filled with poison.
    Fair enough, Fish. Holly Goodhead is an especially good example -- she more than holds her own with Bond. Maybe I'm being too harsh in general. But please don't bring Pussy Galore into the equation. First off, she's a pilot, not a trained agent. Second, she turns to goo based on one kiss from Bond. Come on, you can't stand GF anyway. ;)

Also...
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Why are so many fans threatened by the idea of a woman being equally capable of being a trained agent like Bond? This doesn't make sense to me.
    ...this is where you're way off base. Speaking for myself, I am not at all threatened by the idea of a capable women agent. What I question is the need to have one in so many films. Not that everything should follow Fleming to the letter, but did any of the novels have one? What I also dislike is the manner is which these characters are presented -- always with some press conference stating, "my character's not the typical Bond girl, she's his equal" -- as if being a typical Bond girl is a bad thing. I feel preached to, and the whole thing rings all the more hollow when the women -- every single one of them -- end up in bed with him. Yes, I know, it's not like he forces them, but just once I would like to see one of these so-called equals resist his advances. Now that would give us something to talk about! :o
    highhopes wrote:
    What these various Bond actresses have characterized has "equal" is usually ill-defined: do they mean their character is Bond's "equal" in resourcefulness, cool, courage, fighting ... or do they simply mean their characters is as intrinsic to the story as Bond? There's a difference. I don't think any of them have been the former, and only one the latter: Vesper. The rest have been wishful thinkers (That's right: Hunt could easily have cut all of Tracy's part, especially that 45-second soft-focus montage to Louis Armstrong warbling a third-rate song -- for him, one of the greatest artists of the age, that is -- that so many go "aaawwwww" over and it wouldn't have hurt the story one bit). It would have been impossible with CR's story arch.
    First time I've ever felt the need to ask this of you, HH...WTF are you talking about??? :s
    Hilly...you old devil!
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Women like Anya Amasova, Wai-Lin, Jinx, Holly Goodhead, and Pussy Galore are considered as Bond's equals in that they are trained intelligence agents (or in Ms. Galore's case, qualified to be an intelligence agent) at the same level. So what if Bond has rescued them in a scene or two? They still managed to hold their own. And as I recall, Jinx managed to save Bond's life while she was strapped to some kind of stretcher. Holly Goodhead helped Bond destroy those capsules filled with poison.
    Fair enough, Fish. Holly Goodhead is an especially good example -- she more than holds her own with Bond. Maybe I'm being too harsh in general. But please don't bring Pussy Galore into the equation. First off, she's a pilot, not a trained agent. Second, she turns to goo based on one kiss from Bond. Come on, you can't stand GF anyway. ;)

Also...
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Why are so many fans threatened by the idea of a woman being equally capable of being a trained agent like Bond? This doesn't make sense to me.
    ...this is where you're way off base. Speaking for myself, I am not at all threatened by the idea of a capable women agent. What I question is the need to have one in so many films. Not that everything should follow Fleming to the letter, but did any of the novels have one? What I also dislike is the manner is which these characters are presented -- always with some press conference stating, "my character's not the typical Bond girl, she's his equal" -- as if being a typical Bond girl is a bad thing. I feel preached to, and the whole thing rings all the more hollow when the women -- every single one of them -- end up in bed with him. Yes, I know, it's not like he forces them, but just once I would like to see one of these so-called equals resist his advances. Now that would give us something to talk about! :o
    highhopes wrote:
    First time I've ever felt the need to ask this of you, HH...WTF are you talking about??? :s

I'll be happy to explain, Hillary. When Eva Green explained to the media that she accepted the role of Vesper because Vesper was the "equal" of Bond, a lot of people on this site started saying as you did: what is she talking about? An "equal" to James Bond? What a load of crap. These actresses are always saying that, then they never turn out to be, etc ..."

What I understood Green to mean was not that Vesper would be matching Bond karate kick for karate kick, but rather that the Vesper character would be fully vested in the story, rather than the typical eye-candy that most Bond women are.

And they are indeed, in my opinion, from Honeychile Rider through Tracy to Jinx. The only Bond girl that is really necessary to the character arc of any of the Bond films is Vesper. The whole point of CR is that Bond starts out rash and cocky, then falls in love and is betrayed by a woman, an experience that leaves him hardened and tempered. Vesper is instrinsic to that storyline in a way that none of the other women have been.

The fact that some Russian agent or pilot or assassin or colleague of Bond's was a woman is not necessary to the story. The fact that they're women is simply a novelty. I could imagine any one of those characters as a man. Wouldn't make a damn bit of difference, except of course, Bond wouldn't be poking 'em.

That's WTF I'm talking about :)
    highhopes wrote:

I'll be happy to explain, Hillary. When Eva Green explained to the media that she accepted the role of Vesper because Vesper was the "equal" of Bond, a lot of people on this site started saying as you did: what is she talking about? An "equal" to James Bond? What a load of crap. These actresses are always saying that, then they never turn out to be, etc ..."

What I understood Green to mean was not that Vesper would be matching Bond karate kick for karate kick, but rather that the Vesper character would be fully vested in the story, rather than the typical eye-candy that most Bond women are.

And they are indeed, in my opinion, from Honeychile Rider through Tracy to Jinx. The only Bond girl that is really necessary to the character arc of any of the Bond films is Vesper. The whole point of CR is that Bond starts out rash and cocky, then falls in love and is betrayed by a woman, an experience that leaves him hardened and tempered. Vesper is instrinsic to that storyline in a way that none of the other women have been.

The fact that some Russian agent or pilot or assassin or colleague of Bond's was a woman is not necessary to the story. The fact that they're women is simply a novelty. I could imagine any one of those characters as a man. Wouldn't make a damn bit of difference, except of course, Bond wouldn't be poking 'em.

Now I get your point, HH. However, I don't see your argument applying to Tracy. Bond only finds Blofeld because Draco tells him about Gumbold. And Draco only tells him because he wants Bond to court Tracy. And Bond only meets Draco because he has...um...interacted with Tracy the night before. Tracy facilitates Bond's escape from the village. Bond only defies M's orders not to attack Piz Gloria because Blofeld has Tracy up there. And, of course, the whole falling in love/marriage thing runs throughout.

And, no, I don't see Tracy's being a woman as simply a novelty. :p

On your broader point, I think I am in agreement. My only caveat to full agreement is that I suspect that you view CR through the same rose-colored lens through which I view OHMSS. ;)
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    I'll just stick up, yet again, for the Louis Armstrong montage in OHMSS: I love it, and the song. Nowhere else in the series has such a thing happened, and likely it never will again---much like Bond getting married. IMRO, it speaks to the profound (and tragically temporary) change Bond's life is about to undergo...

As for the 'Bond's equal' debate...let's not be asserting that fans are threatened by such a thing, as that's a bit of a cliched generalization...

I'd tend to agree with HH that Vesper's intrinsic value to the plot makes her the closest to being Bond's equal of any in the series. Just making his love interest a kick-ass superspy (like Wai-Lin or Jinx) isn't enough. Holly Goodhead's ability to do one of the few things Bond cannot (fly a space shuttle) raises her value considerably...

I would, however add Tracy to the mix, as her death is no less intrinsic to OHMSS than Vesper's treachery in CR.

Bond's equal or not, many of the girls---both in the novels and on film---pull Bond's chestnuts out of the fire on occasions too numerous to list here...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    highhopes wrote:

Now I get your point, HH. However, I don't see your argument applying to Tracy. Bond only finds Blofeld because Draco tells him about Gumbold. And Draco only tells him because he wants Bond to court Tracy. And Bond only meets Draco because he has...um...interacted with Tracy the night before. Tracy facilitates Bond's escape from the village. Bond only defies M's orders not to attack Piz Gloria because Blofeld has Tracy up there. And, of course, the whole falling in love/marriage thing runs throughout.

And, no, I don't see Tracy's being a woman as simply a novelty. :p

On your broader point, I think I am in agreement. My only caveat to full agreement is that I suspect that you view CR through the same rose-colored lens through which I view OHMSS. ;)

I certainly do look at CR through rose-colored glasses -- but if I seem overenthusiastic, it's only because it's been such a long time since a Bond film caught my interest. I'd be a little more subdued probably if more of the films since the Connery era had been like FRWL and CR.

But back to your point, Tracy. I love Diana Rigg, and so it pains me to say this: You could cut her out of the movie no problem. Sure, Draco would need some new motivation for telling Bond about Blofeld, but that could be easily done. I never get the sense watching OHMSS -- and I just watched it again recently -- that Bond was in love. He meets Tracy then humps all the chicks in the Harem. In the novel at least, he thinks about Tracy, fantasizes about her and what marriage would be like. Now I know Bond wouldn't be the first guy to follow his unmentionable wherever it may lead, but in a movie, where the character's interior thoughts are hidden from view, "action is character," as the saying goes. I saw no difference in Bond's character after meeting Tracy. The only intimation that he was in love was during that insipid sequence with Armstrong in the background. So that's why I think Tracy could have been easily excised. If you're not going to show Bond in love, why bother?
    Re: Bond's love for Tracy...speaking only for myself, I just make a leap of faith that he does love her; perhaps I just carried my affection for the novel over to the film...which is one of the reasons why the romantic montage works for me. The scene where Lazenby's Bond proposes to Tracy is one of his best in the role---seconded only by his reaction to her death.

I'll concede the point that OHMSS could be done without Tracy and her subsequent murder...but IMRO it would be a greatly diminished yarn.
    Re: Bond's love for Tracy...speaking only for myself, I just make a leap of faith that he does love her; perhaps I just carried my affection for the novel over to the film...which is one of the reasons why the romantic montage works for me. The scene where Lazenby's Bond proposes to Tracy is one of his best in the role---seconded only by his reaction to her death.

I'll concede the point that OHMSS could be done without Tracy and her subsequent murder...but IMRO it would be a greatly diminished yarn.

What's ironic to me is that several people have wondered aloud if Bond and/or Vesper really were in love in CR, which floors me every time because it seems so obvious to me that they were. That's something that is sorely missing from OHMSS, in my view. But the series was still young then and everything was focused on action. Thirty years later, the action has grown a little stale so they try a little character for a change.
    edited February 2007
    highhopes wrote:

What's ironic to me is that several people have wondered aloud if Bond and/or Vesper really were in love in CR, which floors me every time because it seems so obvious to me that they were. That's something that is sorely missing from OHMSS, in my view. But the series was still young then and everything was focused on action. Thirty years later, the action has grown a little stale so they try a little character for a change.

Ironic indeed, because I see it in OHMSS as well as CR...two sides of the same coin, to me, since these are the only two times (in print AND film) when the plot actually hinges on Bond's true love for the leading lady...I suppose it's not surprising that some have a hard time accepting it, in one film or another, since the bar for such a character departure has been placed high by 19 other films which show Bond in a more shallow light.
    I would, however add Tracy to the mix, as her death is no less intrinsic to OHMSS than Vesper's treachery in CR.
    Sorry Loeff, I didn't see this post when I wrote my earlier response.

I think you're right about the Tracy of the novels. After her death, Bond goes on a downward spiral. But what happens to Movie Bond? He picks Bloefeld up out of his wheelchair with a helicopter's landing gear and (I'm slapping my knee, as I type, this is so funny), dumps him down a factory chimney. Hardee-har-har.
    Queue the next Bond girl ... :)).

I still say -- remake OHMSS, YOLT and TMWTGG, one after the other, updating the same general plots and characters as the novels, only this time add the characterization: Bond in love, then devastated, and, finally, redeemed. Those films could be the defining Bond films of all time.
    edited February 2007
    Don't get me started about how they squandered Tracy's death in the movies X-(

Given the recent nature of Vesper on film, I think it will be some time before they dare to 'go there' with Tracy in a remake of OHMSS...it likely won't be with Craig...even more likely, it won't be with Eon...might not even happen in our lifetimes :#
    Don't get me started about how they squandered Tracy's death in the movies X-(

Given the recent nature of Vesper on film, I think it will be some time before they dare to 'go there' with Tracy in a remake of OHMSS...it likely won't be with Craig...even more likely, it won't be with Eon...might not even happen in our lifetimes :#

And maybe that's part of my problem with Tracy. Bond just goes on his merry way. It was an incredible waste of a story, which is why doing them over right makes sense to me. But you're probably right about EON. But McClory's dead, so the "Bloefeld" character should be available. I don't care if it's Craig. Probably too late for him, anyway. Get another guy who can act to do all three. And who knows? I never thought Eon would have done CR the way they did. Maybe there's hope.
    edited February 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    So what if the novels didn't have a female agent who was trained at the same level as Bond? There are other major differences between the novels and the movies. I don't see the point in the producers refraining from having female spies in the Bond franchise.
    We're really going around in circles here, but here's my last word...

Given that these so-called "equal females" are inventions of the cinematic presentation of Bond, and were invented most likely to counter what are properly regarded as outmoded ways of portraying women, I simply wish they were done with more conviction and less ballyhoo. I am not a woman so maybe I am out of line, but I have more respect for a female character who shows her equality through courage (killing Largo) or skill (piloting a space shuttle) than one whose equality is asserted at a press conference but who ultimately ends up being bailed out by Bond and then screwing him.
    Fish1941 wrote:
    And in one point, these actresses are right about their characters not being the typical Bond girld. Especially since the public tends to generally view the Bond leading ladies as eye candy and nothing else.
    Quite right. Maybe because just about every Bond girl, whether she's presented as "Bond's equal" or not, certainly has the eye candy factor. If just one of these women were not a "classic beauty" or were a size 10 instead of a size 2, I could swallow the whole presentation a little better. Would anyone argue that Samantha Bond is not a creditable actress? Why couldn't she have played Jinx, and someone of Halle Berry's beauty play Moneypenny? We all know why -- because Halle has the eye candy factor. And yet, we're not sold that, we're sold on her "equality" with Bond.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Natalya is equal to Bond and here are reasons why she is the tough, quintissential 90s woman better than Wai Lin, Jinx, overrated Elektra and Christmas.

*The woman is going about her day by doing all the sattelite work when she adjourns to get coffee. The defenseless Severnaya team is gunned down by some psychotic woman and when Natalya drops her coffee cup, she manages to trick her executioner into thinking she escaped into the vent when in fact she was in the cupboard the whole time.

*She survives an exploding sattelite installation, climbs out of the defunct and burning dish, gets a sled dog team and somehow gets to St. Petersburg, pretty resourceful!

*She cons her way into the computer store with a well-crafted story and is able to talk to Boris who she still thought was a friend. (She does need to be rescued, but every Bond girl does).

*In the Jungle, while she is temporarily knocked out by Xenia, she had the courage to attack with the tree branch which distracted Bond, enabling him to kill her.

*She beats up Boris while he cowardly hides and squeals

*In the Control Center, Bond tells her to stay put but she does no such thing and hacks into the mainframe computer and changes the access codes. Since she is more valuable to Trevelyan than Bond, he is held at gunpoint and needs to be rescued. If not for the lethal pen, who knows what Natalya would've had to do to free him. She pretty much disabled the sattelite though.

*She commandeers a helicopter gunship by sneaking in and at the right moment surfacing from her hiding place so Bond could be rescued.

All in all, Natalya was a tough (and beautiful) cookie the whole time, and blows all the other alleged "Bond equals" out of the water, the only one coming close to her are Pam Bouvier and Holly Goodhead.
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:

I don't believe most fans are threatened by strong female characters, on the contrary, my conjecture is that there have been women from the start of the Bond movies that could hold their own opposite him.

As far as I can see, it is the actresses who have played Bond girls recently who feel threatened. In some way they feel that being rescued by Bond or playing second fiddle will be a demeening experience, and I think this is unique in the action genre. You don't hear many actresses in other blockbuster movies coming out ahead of release sayin 'don't worry, I'm an equal to the male lead!'.

I just think self conciously coming out claiming to be an equal to the star of the show is a bit of an insult to the many marvellous actresses who have down the years happily played a foil to Bond in a dignified and courageous manner! :)
  • Prince Kamal KhanPrince Kamal Khan Posts: 277MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    words wrote:
    You know how in recent Bond films there is always a bond girl who almost defensively claims to be 'an equal with Bond' when questioned about the Bond girl stigma.

None of the Bond girls are Bond's equal. The same way none of his male allies(Leiter, Kerim Bey, Tiger Tanaka, etc.) are his equal. And the villains sure better not be his equal. No one is equal to Bond because he is the best. I think sometimes Michelle Yeoh, Halle Berry, et al, sometimes forget in their press interviews that they are not playing the main character in the Bond films they agreed to appear in.
    words wrote:
    When you think of it like this, the whole 'equal with Bond' thing, that I know irritates alot of you, is ridiculous. Any actress should be proud to follow in the footsteps of these strong female characters and not be so defensive! :)

ITA. I like Jill St. John's happiness and good attitude about her having been a Bond girl as she said so in her interview with Maryam d'Abo in the Bond Girls Are Forever documentary.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I'm not threatened as some of my favourite Bond girls were indeed very strong (Honey Rider, Pussy Galore, Anya Amasova), however what I don't like are those who are so in-your-face that IMO they are nauseating. Wai Lin and Jinx are two examples of Bond girls who, may not be the toughest Bond girls of all time, but IMO come across as so 'I'm Bond's equal; look at me, look at me' that I wanted both of them to be killed.

I'll end this with a comparison. As tough as Wai Lin and Jinx were, that were not necessarily tougher than Honey, who calmly explained how she murdered the man who raped her. That woman is tough, yet I don't think she came off as a wannabe 'female Bond' in the same way that Wai Lin and Jinx did.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    highhopes wrote:

But that was what the montage in OHMSS so nicely conveyed...time passing, moments spent together, obviously enjoying each other's company. I didn't get as nearly a strong impression in CR that there was any connection as I did in OHMSS.

As for cutting Tracy out of the story in OHMSS - yeah you could re-write it so her part wasn't needed. But you could do the same for CR with just a little bit of shuffling. Bond could be betrayed by a man just as easily as a woman (see GE for an example). I do agree that Vesper has a more important role than other Bond women. If they had taken more care in building the story in CR, it would have been fantastic.
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Given that these so-called "equal females" are inventions of the cinematic presentation of Bond, and were invented most likely to counter what are properly regarded as outmoded ways of portraying women, I simply wish they were done with more conviction and less ballyhoo. I am not a woman so maybe I am out of line, but I have more respect for a female character who shows her equality through courage (killing Largo) or skill (piloting a space shuttle) than one whose equality is asserted at a press conference but who ultimately ends up being bailed out by Bond and then screwing him.

I am a woman and I had no problem with how the franchise presented the female agents in the films. You act as if they're supposed to be some kind of "butch" characters who have to act like a man in order to be Bond's equal. What? Can't they be highly trained agents and be female, as well?

As I said when I wrote that post, we're going around in circles on this, Fish. My opinion is my opinion -- I have tried to explain it as best I can. As you have now chosen to ascribe motives to me that are not only unfounded but false, I will leave you to twirl in circles on your own.

Thanks for ruining what until now had been an interesting debate. You and your arguments are much more interesting when you're analytical, a lot less so when you're angry and accusatory.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    edited February 2007
    darenhat wrote:
    highhopes wrote:

But that was what the montage in OHMSS so nicely conveyed...time passing, moments spent together, obviously enjoying each other's company. I didn't get as nearly a strong impression in CR that there was any connection as I did in OHMSS.

As for cutting Tracy out of the story in OHMSS - yeah you could re-write it so her part wasn't needed. But you could do the same for CR with just a little bit of shuffling. Bond could be betrayed by a man just as easily as a woman (see GE for an example). I do agree that Vesper has a more important role than other Bond women. If they had taken more care in building the story in CR, it would have been fantastic.

This is one instance where switching the sex of the character most definitely wouldn't work, Darenhat. As someone who values a well-built story, you surely understand that the drama of Bond's betrayal is in the fact that it was by someone he loved. A man definitely wouldn't do, without a really major "shuffle." :))

I guess I understand Bond and Tracy were in love in OHMSS because I "get" the hackeneyed device of the montage. I've been to the movies before. Soft-focus photography, two attractive people laughing and smiling and walking through the woods, while someone croons in the background can only mean one thing -- love. Which is why it's hard for me to understand how some folks failed to pickup similar "movie signals" throughout CR. If I would fault CR's script on anything, it's the reliance on some of these cliches to advance the love story.
    edited February 2007
    highhopes wrote:
    I guess I understand Bond and Tracy were in love in OHMSS because I "get" the hackeneyed device of the montage. I've been to the movies before. Soft-focus photography, two attractive people laughing and smiling and walking through the woods, while someone croons in the background can only mean one thing -- love. Which is why it's hard for me to understand how some folks failed to pickup similar "movie signals" throughout CR. If I would fault CR's script on anything, it's the reliance on some of these cliches to advance the love story.

Yeah..it's hackneyed, but you could definitely say it made it's point by the merit of having never been done in a Bond film. My disappointment with CR was fueled by the fact that we really don't see Bond sharing too much with Vesper than what we have seen shared in other Bond films (i.e. bodily fluids). I felt Bond's declaration of love from the hospital bed seemed rather sudden.

I agree that the betrayal of Vesper is deepened because she was a woman whom Bond loved, but since I never felt emotionally caught up in the pair, the impact for me had as much power as the Trevalynn betrayel in GE.
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Is there supposed to be a formula in which Bond or any other fictional character is supposed to fall in love?

A formula? No. In fact, the exact opposite, really. The reason why the 'hackneyed' montage worked was because it was outside the typical Bond formula. Bond has been attracted to, and slept with, numerous women during his cinematic exploits. In order to to convey that this was different, the filmmakers should actually do something different. Are we supposed to watch Bond in CR and say "Well, he must love Vesper because he finds her attractive and slept with her"? How is that different from previous Bond liasons? Bond found Pussy Galore attractive, and slept with her. Did he have the same feeling? It's for this reason, formula should be avoided, like it was in OHMSS, which makes it a much more successful story IMO.
    edited February 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I'm not threatened as some of my favourite Bond girls were indeed very strong (Honey Rider, Pussy Galore, Anya Amasova), however what I don't like are those who are so in-your-face that IMO they are nauseating. Wai Lin and Jinx are two examples of Bond girls who, may not be the toughest Bond girls of all time, but IMO come across as so 'I'm Bond's equal; look at me, look at me' that I wanted both of them to be killed.
    It sounds like you're telling me that you want all the Bond leading women to be some clothes hanger who has to be rescued by Bond, every now and then. The idea of a Bond leading lady being an agent seems to bother the lot of you. There was nothing wrong with Wai Lin and Jinx . . . except that they did more than look pretty and waited around for Bond to rescue them.

Yes, there were moments when Bond had to save their lives. SO . . . WHAT? If Bond's life had to be saved every now and then by another character, why not leading ladies like Jixn and Wai Lin? They have to be "perfect" or "near perfect" to be considered Bond's equal? Bond isn't perfect. Why should they have to be?
    Read my post. Where did I say that I prefer a Bond girl to be 'some clothes hanger who has to be rescued by Bond'? My favourite bond girls include Honey Rider and Pussy Galore. Personally, I don't care wether a bond girl is strong or weak as long as she's interesting and her strength/weakness doesn't come across as unnatural in relation to her character. My problem with Jinx and Wai Lin was not that they were agents, but their whole personas was IMO based around their wanting to be a 'female Bond.' It may not be logical, but where as I could accept it with some other Bond characters (Pussy Galore for example) the so-called equality of these two women annoyed the hell out of me. The fact that Michelle Yeoh and Halle Berry came across as quite unattractive IMO, also doesn't help matters.

Finally, it has to be mentioned that regarding Jinx, there was going to be a Jinx spin-off at one point. So, yes, while I have no problem with strong women, I do have a huge problem with those two women.
    Fish1941 wrote:
    As tough as Wai Lin and Jinx were, that were not necessarily tougher than Honey, who calmly explained how she murdered the man who raped her. That woman is tough . . .
    Do you expect me to buy this? Are you serious? Yes, I applaud Honey for killing her rapist by putting a black widow spider down his shirt, but this does not make her tougher than Wai Lin and Jinx. In fact, we never see Honey do this. We only learn about it through her words. Other than that, she doesn't really do anything else in DR. NO, except walk out of the water. Which didn't exactly do much for me. So, if you're expecting me to buy this theory that Honey Ryder was tougher than Jinx or Wai Lin, I suggest that you continue holding your breath. I'm not buying it.
    Oh my god. Why do you have to be so aggressive? :s Fish, I don't mind discussing things with you, but will you get a grip? IMO Honey Rider, based on that speech alone, was enormously tough as well as extremely interesting. I would not want to mess with her. You don't agree, fine, but that's my opinion.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited February 2007
    highhopes wrote:
    It's interesting HH as I have a completely different reaction to these two films to you. I have never questioned that Bond and Tracey were in love with each other due to their acting and body language. The script wasn't fully developed (one of my few gripes with OHMSS) but I think that of what we have (the montage, Tracey coming to Switzerland, the barn scene, the 'we have all the time in the world' scene), I was fully convinced that they were in love. In fact, I think that the elements that we have are more than sufficient. The montage, which was unprecedented in Bond films, was terrific IMO as it demonstrated that Bond and Tracey really cared for each other. Tracey's coming to Switzerland was also effective as she came came all the way there just to see Bond, and I could really tell that Bond was completely taken by her when he saw her. The barn scene and the 'we have all the time in the world' scene were also great IMO due to the dialogue and the acting. (Lazenby wasn't great IMO but I can forgive that due to the dialogue while Tracey was IMO superb. Plus, even though Lazenby was IMO pretty bad, I still got the sense that he loved Tracey.)

I don't get that with CR. While I do believe that Bond had feelings with with Vesper (due to Craig's acting in the death scene) I am not convinced that he loved her; at least not in the same way that I am convinced that Bond was in love with Tracey. This is really due to the script as I felt that Bond's and Vesper's relationship was enormously undeveloped; far more so than in OHMSS. Dialogue such as "I have no armour left. You've stripped it from me. Whatever is left of me - whatever is left of me - whatever I am - I'm yours" certainly didn't help matters. ;) Plus, it has to be said, that the suicide scene aside, I still wasn't convinced that Bond loved Vesper or that he really cared about her. Although this is mostly due to the script (I consider the romance to have be far too sudden) it was also due to Craig's performance.

Then there's Vesper. While I believe that Tracey loved Bond (Rigg's acting aside, she went all the way to Switzerland just to see Bond) I don't even know if Vesper cared about Bond. As well being due to the script which I think was much less undeveloped than in OHMSS, I place much of the blame on Green whom IMO delivered a horrible performance. I would dearly have loved for her not to have played Vesper. I actually think that Caterina Murino could have done a better job. ;)

Basically, while I know that Bond and Tracey were in love, I don't have nearly the same reaction to Bond and Vesper. That's why the suicide scene was IMO so ineffective. Although it was demonstrated in that scene that Bond did care about Vesper*, I'm not convinced that it was love, and I certainly don't know wether Vesper was fond of Bond in the slightest or was just annoyed that the money had been lost. :#

*The suicide scene wasn't the first time that I actually got a sense that Bond cared about Vesper. I also got a sense in the shower scene; however I tend to ignore that scene as it was too creepy for my liking.
    Dan Same wrote:
    While I do believe that Bond had feelings with with Vesper (due to Craig's acting in the death scene) I am not convinced that he loved her; at least not in the same way that I am convinced that Bond was in love with Tracey. This is really due to the script as I felt that Bond's and Vesper's relationship was enormously undeveloped; far more so than in OHMSS. Dialogue such as "I have no armour left. You've stripped it from me. Whatever is left of me - whatever is left of me - whatever I am - I'm yours" certainly didn't help matters. ;) Plus, it has to be said, that the suicide scene aside, I still wasn't convinced that Bond loved Vesper or that he really cared about her. Although this is mostly due to the script (I consider the romance to have be far too sudden) it was also due to Craig's performance.

Then there's Vesper. While I believe that Tracey loved Bond (Rigg's acting aside, she went all the way to Switzerland just to see Bond) I don't even know if Vesper cared about Bond. As well being due to the script which I think was much less undeveloped than in OHMSS, I place much of the blame on Green whom IMO delivered a horrible performance. I would dearly have loved for her not to have played Vesper. I actually think that Caterina Murino could have done a better job. ;)

Basically, while I know that Bond and Tracey were in love, I don't have nearly the same reaction to Bond and Vesper. That's why the suicide scene was IMO so ineffective. Although it was demonstrated in that scene that Bond did care about Vesper*, I'm not convinced that it was love, and I certainly don't know wether Vesper was fond of Bond in the slightest or was just annoyed that the money had been lost.

You weren't sure about Bond's feelings? Gee Dan, in the beach scene he tells her he loves her. As for Vesper, the whole point is that while she does love Bond, she also is betraying him. She didn't expect to fall in love with him, but did. That of course complicates things and is unsettling to her. Her situation is a bit more complicated than Tracy's, so if Green plays her a bit on the ambivalent or tentative side, that's a wise choice in my estimation. I would also add that it is absolutely true to the novel. The kind of doubts you expresss are the same as Bond's in the book. Most of the last third of it concerns Bond's puzzlement at Vesper's apparently on-again, off-again feelings for him. Get a copy of the book and check it out and tell me that's not correct. So it seems to me that Green nailed the role, but you fail to recognize it because it wasn't a more by-the-numbers, woman-in-love performance like the one delivered in OHMSS by Rigg and so many other actresses in so many other movies. It strikes me that it's going to be hard for the filmmakers to attempt to portray any kind of "real" human emotion, which usually doesn't conform to the comfortable cliches of the movies. But I think most people understood Vesper's tentativeness for what it was.
    highhopes wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    While I do believe that Bond had feelings with with Vesper (due to Craig's acting in the death scene) I am not convinced that he loved her; at least not in the same way that I am convinced that Bond was in love with Tracey. This is really due to the script as I felt that Bond's and Vesper's relationship was enormously undeveloped; far more so than in OHMSS. Dialogue such as "I have no armour left. You've stripped it from me. Whatever is left of me - whatever is left of me - whatever I am - I'm yours" certainly didn't help matters. ;) Plus, it has to be said, that the suicide scene aside, I still wasn't convinced that Bond loved Vesper or that he really cared about her. Although this is mostly due to the script (I consider the romance to have be far too sudden) it was also due to Craig's performance.

Basically, while I know that Bond and Tracey were in love, I don't have nearly the same reaction to Bond and Vesper. That's why the suicide scene was IMO so ineffective. Although it was demonstrated in that scene that Bond did care about Vesper*, I'm not convinced that it was love, and I certainly don't know wether Vesper was fond of Bond in the slightest or was just annoyed that the money had been lost.

You weren't sure about Bond's feelings? Gee Dan, in the beach scene he tells her he loves her. As for Vesper, the whole point is that while she does love Bond, she also is betraying him. She didn't expect to fall in love with him, but did. That of course complicates things and is unsettling to her. Her situation is a bit more complicated than Tracy's, so if Green plays her a bit on the ambivalent or tentative side, that's a wise choice in my estimation. I would also add that it is absolutely true to the novel. The kind of doubts you expresss are the same as Bond's in the book. Most of the last third of it concerns Bond's puzzlement at Vesper's apparently on-again, off-again feelings for him. Get a copy of the book and check it out and tell me that's not correct. So it seems to me that Green nailed the role, but you fail to recognize it because it wasn't a more by-the-numbers, woman-in-love performance like the one delivered in OHMSS by Rigg and so many other actresses in so many other movies. It strikes me that it's going to be hard for the filmmakers to attempt to portray any kind of "real" human emotion, which usually doesn't conform to the comfortable cliches of the movies. But I think most people understood Vesper's tentativeness for what it was.

HH, I'm beginning to wonder:
    -- Are you financially vested in CR?
    -- Are you personal friends with the filmmakers or performers?
    -- Are you actually Paul Haggis posting under an alias?
    -- Is there a vast anti-CR cabal I'm not aware of that poses a threat to life as we know it?

What else could possibly compel you to answer critiques of the film with such ridicule and condescension?
    Hilly...you old devil!