the definitive Blofeld

Don't know if we've had this topic already, but for me it's a very interesting one. There are several to choose from:

* Anthony Dawson (voiced by Eric Pohlman) FRWL, TB
* Donald Pleasance (YOLT)
* Telly Savalas (OHMSS)
* Charles Grey (DAF)
* John Hollis (FYEO)
* Max von Sydow (NSNA)

To dispense with the main areas of controversy:
most people would consider removing Dawson, Hollis, and von Sydow, because Dawson's face is not revealed (same for Hollis), the FYEO version was not 100% certainly officially Blofeld, and NSNA was unofficial. Putting these arguments to one side, I think we can still use these 'lesser' three as the basis for comparison.

I would argue against Pleasance on the basis that, although highly iconic, he has far too little screen time to make much of an impression, and seemed far too gentle in his speech and mannerisms to be a sadistic mass killer and crime magnate.

Savalas had the aforementioned quality but I never thought he had the class and refinement to be Blofeld. Also, he seemed to lack the stature and screen presence he possessed elsewhere in his career.

Von Sydow has far too little screen time, and when he does have an opportunity, he comes across like an avuncular kindly uncle figure, like the "father christmas" Polish guy who was initially cast for YOLT.

Though we never see much of him, the Dawson/Pohlman version is actually quite memorable. He's certainly evil, menacing, deadly, and has plenty of suggested maturity and refinement about him. But the fact is that we don't get enough of a picture of him, and never see much of him at all, making it impossible to hand over the accolade.

In spite of what everyone says, I really liked Charles Grey as Blofeld (excluding the drag, of coruse). He was clearly cultured, had a sense of upper class European wit and charm, whilst still being forceful, ruthless, and deadly. Grey was imperious with his dialogue and his delivery spot on, a sneering, smug, rakish Blofeld who benefitted from coming across as slightly more human ("What's the matter Bert, have you got a cold?"), thus allowing the audience to warm to him.

But in a strange way, I always liked the John Hollis version the best, though again his screen time is very short and we don't see his face. If this guy had been given a whole film to menace Bond, it would have been truly memorable.

He combines the unseen menace of Dawson with the ability not to outstay his welcome like Pleasance (on whom his physical appearance seems to be modelled), he appears witty like Grey, but he is also an unabashed psycho, like Savalas.

All in all, I thought that whole scene worked well because of him, and of course Roger being as unflappable as ever (though the back projection and stainless steel nonsense detract from it, as does Roger's "keep your hair on" moment).

Who would you rank as your favourite Blofeld actor?

p.s. if you want to see Hollis's real face, you can see him in The Empire Strikes Back (directed by NSNA'S Irvin Kershner, what a career drop in 3 years) as Billy Dee Williams's bald mute assistant with the electronic headgear.

Comments

• Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    My personal favourite is Anthony Dawson.

Although he hadn't much screen time, he still was conniving and memorable.

On another note, Donald Pleasance is probably more memorable and famous than any of the others. He too was a good Blofeld and comes a close second to Dawson!! ;)
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    Anthony Dawson - Blofeld worked better being heard and not seen.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,287MI6 Agent
    But what does John Hollis actually look like? His voice is spot on imo, but is he actually the small bald guy in the wheelchair?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • crawfordbooncrawfordboon Posts: 126MI6 Agent
    Yes, he is. At least according to The Essential James Bond by Lee Pfeiffer and Dave Worrall.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent

Agreed. The individual mind can conjure up all kinds of menace from an unseen figure with a menacing voice.

Of the Blofeld's that were seen, Telly Savalas is the one who stands out. He brought considerably more menace and physicality to the role than the others.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Since when did Ernst Blofeld had class?
    I agree with Fish's implied skepticism on this point -- although it's been ages since I read the novels, wasn't the Blofeld of the novels half a thug with a syphilitic nose?

Also, what's with the praise for Anthony Dawson? What exactly did he do -- sit in a chair, pet a cat, pull a fish from a tank, and press a button on a console? I love the unseen Blofeld, but the credit for that has to go to the voices -- Eric Pohlmann in FRWL and Joseph Wiseman (not Pohlmann) in TB.

For the record, I like Savalas the best, followed by the unseen version.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Also, what's with the praise for Anthony Dawson? What exactly did he do -- sit in a chair, pet a cat, pull a fish from a tank, and press a button on a console? I love the unseen Blofeld, but the credit for that has to go to the voices -- Eric Pohlmann in FRWL and Joseph Wiseman (not Pohlmann) in TB
    OK I will change my vote since I was unaware. It's a tie between -Eric Pohlmann in FRWL and Joseph Wiseman (not Pohlmann) in TB.
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    But what does John Hollis actually look like? His voice is spot on imo, but is he actually the small bald guy in the wheelchair?

Basically....yes.

If you have ever seen Star Wars, then he can clearly be seen in that.
  • crawfordbooncrawfordboon Posts: 126MI6 Agent
    this is a thread about the movie versions of Blofeld, try to keep the novels out of it!! 8-)
    edited February 2007

Basically....yes.

If you have ever seen Star Wars, then he can clearly be seen in that.
    Since I did not know myself, it is really
    Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
    John Hollis as Lando's Aide
  • AlFoAlFo Posts: 15MI6 Agent
    Donald Pleasance as he freaks me out.

Why do they change so much though?
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    Bingo, with the appropriate voices. Of the ones we've seen, they all work in some form or another, even Charles Gray's oft-maligned Brit twit version.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    My favourite Blofeld is the unseen one, but of the seen Blofelds, my vote goes to the great Telly Savalas in OHMSS. Sophisticated, ruthless, incredibly physical (he sounds like Bond :D) he was an absolute joy to watch. One of my favourite scenes in OHMSS was the scene in which he was discussing Paris and Helen of Troy with Tracey. A wonderful scene IMO. -{
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Hasn't been one, as far as I'm concerned. I think you'd need to revisit You Only Live Twice with its epic sword battle to really leave one behind. Once again -- remake it, with TMWTGG as a sequel, both following the novels.
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    I think, out of the movie blofelds that is, the most memorable is the unseen Blofelds from FRWL and TB, he's just more of a darker character that way.

Frying number, nine was it?, because he was stealing SPECTRE funds