spinoff idea

Now that we have seen what is effectively the James Bond equivalent of Batman Begins, how about re-using the idea of the sehlved 'Jinx' fhranchise idea - but instead of that annoying badly acted nonentity, there was a prequel/re-boot tracing the early years and rise to prominence of Blofeld.

He and Bond are each other arch nemisis, so it would be great to see Bond's rise parallelled by that of main future enemy. We coudl see what happened to Blofeld, what made him the monster he was, trace his back story. Like Hannibal Rising, but actually good.

Thoughts?

Comments

• arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    I remember discussing a Kevin Mclory Blofeld film on another thread once. The problem is would anyone other than Bond fans be sufficiently interested and who on earth has the Blofeld rights now?

Toby Stephens was the worst actor in DAD, not Pierce Brosnan or Halle Berry :v
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Fish1941 wrote:

What "annoying badly acted nonentity"? Pierce Brosnan? Samantha Bond, who provided the worst acting moment in DAD?

Did you mean to say "Which" rather than "What"? ;)

As far a Blofeld Begins? Could be interesting, and wouldn't mind if, rather than a spinoff, that elements of a burgeoning Blofeld are seen in the upcoming Bond films with Craig, but I'd hate to see it go into the realms of hero/antihero kind of thing, where for some reason Blofeld's life of crime is all because Bond burned off Blofeld's hair in a college science lab experiment gone awry.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,379Chief of Staff
    darenhat wrote:
    for some reason Blofeld's life of crime is all because Bond burned off Blofeld's hair in a college science lab experiment gone awry.

:D Super idea...
    Barbel wrote:
    darenhat wrote:
    for some reason Blofeld's life of crime is all because Bond burned off Blofeld's hair in a college science lab experiment gone awry.

:D Super idea...

Thanks...you'll be able to read all about it in my upcoming 'Young Blofeld' book series.
  • crawfordbooncrawfordboon Posts: 126MI6 Agent
    I was referring to Halle Berry and the cancelled 'Jinx' spin-off, but anyway, I too doubt that Blofeld Begins would be seriously commercially viable, but it is interesting to think of what such a film might be like, nonetheless.

I seem to remember reading a bit abotu his backstory somewhere, can't remember if it was Fleming, fan fiction, or just speculative commentary.
    I seem to remember reading a bit abotu his backstory somewhere, can't remember if it was Fleming, fan fiction, or just speculative commentary.

Thunderball, Chapter 5, is the best source. There are some bits and pieces in OHMSS, too.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Toby Stephens was the worst actor in DAD, not Pierce Brosnan or Halle Berry :v
    I completely agree about Stephens. IMO he was by far the worst actor in DAD. After that comes Halle Berry. As for Brosnan, well, I don't agree that he was bad as IMO he was terrific and was the best thing about DAD. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Dan Same wrote:
    As for Brosnan, well, I don't agree that he was bad as IMO he was terrific and was the best thing about DAD. ;)

Very true. There were some good things in DAD, despite the panning it frequently gets here- IMO it's terrific up till Iceland- and most of the good moments belong to Brosnan.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I saw nothing wrong with Halle Berry or Toby Stephens' performances. And Berry, along with Rosamund Pike, seemed like the best thing in DAD to me.

Exactly, how did Berry get this reputation for being a lousy Bond girl, anyway? I can think of a great number of Bond actresses who were a hell of a lot worse than she. In fact, I consider her to be one of the better leading ladies.
    Just my opinion, but I think a lot of people who dislike DAD as a whole package let that dislike color their assessment of the film's individual elements. I'm probably guilty of that. To me though, Berry comes off as too showy -- the performance has a "look at me!" quality that I don't care for. In fairness to her, that may be due as much to bad writing as to her performance. Some of her lines are absolute groaners, obviously not Berry's fault.

Stephens's performance is OK, but he's miscast. Graves seems to young to be a knight and a respected tycoon -- he looks about 25. Rosamund Pike's performance is just boring, IMO.

Back on topic...I don't like the idea of any Bond-related spinoff (feels like it dilutes the franchise). But if one were to be done, crawford's right that it should be Blofeld.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    To me though, Berry comes off as too showy -- the performance has a "look at me!" quality that I don't care for. In fairness to her, that may be due as much to bad writing as to her performance. Some of her lines are absolute groaners, obviously not Berry's fault.
    So . . . you were only able to find fault with Berry's performance and lines . . . and no one else's? Because I thought that many of Brosnan's lines suck. And some of Pike's lines were not that better. I still wince at that scene in which Moneypenny was having fantasies of Bond. I truly felt sorry for Samantha Bond, because I thought that was the most embarassing and wince-inducing moment in the entire franchise.

As for Berry . . . I can think of A LOT of Bond actresses whose acting seemed ten or twenty times worse.

Not sure how this morphed into a DAD thread, but...

No, Jinx's lines were definitely not only bad ones -- Bond's were probably worse. In fact, the byplay between the two of them is generally dreadful. Graves had some howlers, too -- really, just about everyone does. Trust me, there's little in DAD I have patience for, and Halle Berry's performance is but a relatively small source of irritation. But we were originally talking about performances, Berry's in particular, so that's what I specifically mentioned. As to the VR scene with Moneypenny, I found it LOL funny at the time, but maybe I was just happy to be jarred me out of my boredom. I can certainly understand how it could be seen as wince-inducing.
    Hilly...you old devil!
    edited February 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Exactly, how did Berry get this reputation for being a lousy Bond girl, anyway? I can think of a great number of Bond actresses who were a hell of a lot worse than she. In fact, I consider her to be one of the better leading ladies.
    I think she was among the worst. There are three reasons:
    1)she came across as too much of a 'look at me, look at me, I'm Bond's equal' type of Bond girl. I couldn't stand that about her.

2)I thought she was extremely unconvincing and while she did have some bad dialogue, unlike Brosnan, I don't think she was able to handle the dialogue at all. I think that the diaogue, as well as the idea of being in a Bond film, simply got the better of her.

3)There was nothing about her (wether it be looks or personality) that made me understand why Bond would not only sleep with her, but would end the film with her. Surely he could have done better. ;) Plus, the sex scene (it's not her fault but it has to be said) was IMO simply horrifying. I still have nightmares about it. :#
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Is it because many fans didn't like the idea of her playing an American secret agent in the first place? If so, why?
    It has nothing to do with that. You are always bringing that up, almost as if you want someone to say that they do have a problem with that. My problem is that I found he to be entirely unconvincing as a secret agent, and enormously annoying. The fact that I also found her to be quite unattractive made things only worse.
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Or are they still p**sed at her for winning an Oscar at the same time as Denzel Washington?
    Personally, I was delighted when she won the Oscar for Monster's Ball. IMO it was the best performance of 2001.

Fish, to give you an example of how much I hated Halle Berry in DAD, she is one of my favourite actresses. I also consider her to be among the most talented actresses in the world. But I really couldn't stand her in DAD. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Same here Dan, I loathe and despise Halle in this movie, however I love her in many others. (He should have ended the movie w/ Miranda).

The whole American secret agent, and maybe I'm missing the point, but I have no problem with that, American secret agents like Holly Goodhead and Pam Bouvier are among the best Bond girls (and more Bond's equal than Halle was, difference being, they aren't as in your face about it).
  • delliott101delliott101 Posts: 115MI6 Agent
    darenhat wrote:
    As far a Blofeld Begins? Could be interesting, and wouldn't mind if, rather than a spinoff, that elements of a burgeoning Blofeld are seen in the upcoming Bond films with Craig, but I'd hate to see it go into the realms of hero/antihero kind of thing, where for some reason Blofeld's life of crime is all because Bond burned off Blofeld's hair in a college science lab experiment gone awry.

Blofeld would have to be played by a different actor in each film, though
    edited February 2007
    He and Bond are each other arch nemisis, so it would be great to see Bond's rise parallelled by that of main future enemy. We coudl see what happened to Blofeld, what made him the monster he was, trace his back story. Like Hannibal Rising, but actually good.

Thoughts?
    My problem with these kinds of 'beginning' films is that, particularly with villains, it takes away the mystery. It also introduces something which I absolutely hate; psychology. (I don't hate psychology, but I hate it when linked with Bond.) Basically, what this means is that there has to be a reason why Blofeld is who he is. It can't be because he's greedy, brilliant and probably feels that the best way to make money is through crime, but rather because he had an abusive childhood or something like that.

As it happens, in real life, I probably would try to find a psychological explanation for somebody's behaviour (I'm a bit of a softie ;% :))), but when it comes to James Bond, I don't really want explanations on why Bond, or his nemesis, are whom they are. I say keep the mystery and allow the audience to provide their own judgements on why Blofeld might be the person that he is.
    The thing I liked about Pam Bouvier was she seemed genuinely upset that she wasn't taken seriously...kinda like it had happened before repeatedly. She was very capable, and seemed tired of having never been given the credit for her past acheivements.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I thought they had no chemistry. To me, Jinx is by far the most unattractive Bond girl (what is with that haircut???) and is just SO badly acted. Berry just seems so proud of herself the whole time.
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Which makes me wonder why so many fans hate her in this role. In fact, I have some deep suspicions about the whole matter.

I'm curious to know what your deep suspicions are?

It's funny, I liked Halle, I don't understand people not finding her attractive when she is consistently named one of the most beautiful actresses. The one that really annoyed me was Rosamund Pike!

The blame for all of the problems with DAD really lies with Purvis and Wade though, I fault them far more than the actors.

But getting back to the original post, I would be interested in more of a back story on Blofeld, but it wouldn't work independently of a Bond film. I always fear that when an evil, powerful enemy is eliminated, there is always someone to replace him. So it might be a good story line if one of Blofeld's henchman were still around, waiting for the right time to get to Bond, or maybe even a son of his appears seeking revenge? Who knows..
    edited February 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    As for Halle Berry, I consider her one of the better Bond leading ladies I have ever seen. In fact, I was surprised at how excellent she was in her role. It was unexpected. Apparently, many film critics felt the same when DAD was released. Which makes me wonder why so many fans hate her in this role. In fact, I have some deep suspicions about the whole matter.
    I disagree. I think that Halle Berry was terrible in DAD; that is a major reason why I dislike Jinx. I do not agree at all that she was excellent. But also, it's interesting that you mention crititics. Most critics love GF, a film that you unashamedly hate. Yet, in this case you think that the views of the critics matter. Fish, can't you just accept that there are many people (such as myself) who hate Jinx because we think she was unattractive and terribly acted?
    edited February 2007
    Monique wrote:
    It's funny, I liked Halle, I don't understand people not finding her attractive when she is consistently named one of the most beautiful actresses.
    I think that Halle Berry is one of the three or four most beautiful women in the world. However, in DAD I found her completely unattractive. One reason was her performance and personality; another reason was her short hair, which I don't like on her at all. :#
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I can't post my reasons. I might get banned from the forum.

Wow..that's kind of scary! They must be pretty bad.
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Short hair is one of the most unatractive things in a women. (/me hopes no women have short hair on this forum). I have never been much of a fan of hers and was quite dissapointed when she was cast.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    I think that Halle Berry is one of the three or four most beautiful women in the world. However, in DAD I found her completely unattractive. One reason was her performance and personality; another reason was her short hair, which I don't like on her at all. :#

Indeed, Halle Berry is a very attractive woman. And she also has a warm and friendly personality based on interviews I have seen.

But she's far less attractive as Jinx in DAD. Her personality is very lukewarm and not nearly so friendly. Yes, she had some awful dialogue, but never looked like she could rise above it. Overall, her performance and delivery were dire.

For the record, I have nothing against women with short hair. Halle Berry just happens to look more attractive to me with longer hair.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    Not sure how this morphed into a DAD thread, but...
    It's morphing into something uglier still. Something that I sense is being insinuated and, more disturbingly, perhaps even being whipped up, despite no evidence to suggest it exists.

I sincerely hope it doesn't go there.
    unitedkingdom.png
    edited February 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Women are not supposed to have short hair? And that's one of the reasons why Halle Berry is reviled in DAD? Pardon me for saying this, but it sounds very bigoted to me. And by the way, why aren't you making the same complaints about Carey Lowell in LTK?

I am not saying that it is the reason quite a few people disliked her in the role. But I read somewhere(don't ask me to provide details, I can't remember) that a survey on what men found attractive/unnatractive in a women. One of the top things that men found unattractive was short hair. I was just saying maybe that is the reason many people don't find her as attractive as some people make out.

And yes, I agree she looks much better with longer hair.
    edited February 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    One, I don't agree.
    I don't think anyone is looking for you to agree, and nor does anyone have to answer or explain flippant reasons in the face of such aggressive grilling. People are entitled to their nuances, however trivial, whether you like it or not.
    unitedkingdom.png
    edited February 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Fine, I won't post in this thread again, but I won't apologize for my tone. The responses had made me quite angry. And if the topic of Halle Berry comes up in another thread, I won't be silent.
    By all means, but repeated aggression toward other members results in a ban. You have been warned.
    unitedkingdom.png
    I don't think she was being aggresive. I think it was just taken in the wrong way. Anyway lets agree to disagree. {[]
    edited February 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Dan Same wrote:
    One reason was her performance and personality; another reason was her short hair, which I don't like on her at all.
    Halle Berry has spent most of her career with short hair. As a fan of hers, you must have realized this. And yet, all of a sudden, you didn't care for her short hair in DAD? And what the hell was wrong with her personality? Is she supposed to play characters who submit or play second-fiddle to "strong" men like Bond?
    I probably shouldn't respond to this as I don't want to keep alive a discussion which has become rather unpleasant, but I need to make something clear. I am a fan of Halle Berry, but my fandom isn't unconditional. There are some films in which I dislike her; one being DAD. I don't like her personality in that film, which I'm not going to go into again. I also don't like her short hair. Yes, I am aware that she has had short hair for most of her career, but considering that I fell in love with her in a film in which she had long hair, I don't see why I need to apologise for my preference. I simply prefer women with long hair to women with short hair. ;)
    edited February 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Why did you bring this up again? ?:)
    I thought you no longer cared. 8-) I brought it up again (and I didn't expect nor desire a response) simply to make it clear that I hold particular views on Halle Berry and Jinx, and I don't care what other people think of these views. You may not like them or agree with them, however that isn't my concern in the slightest.

Back onto topic; the worst thing that could happen IMO is if a Blofeld spinoff turns into the James Bond equivalent of Smallville. That would be an absolute nightmare. :#
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I'm against spinoffs personally, I believe they drain strength and dilute the franchise that they're departing. Any time a fictional character becomes famous, usually the ambience and chemistry working good in the first place is due to the fact that he, (or she) is surrounded with the appropriate foils to play off against.

As for Berry, I've loved her since the early 90s and always thought she was extremely beautiful. So you can imagine my disappointment in DAD, I thought her performance was rushed with a slight sense of self consciousness, as if the poor gal had all the pressure of the oscar on her shoulders and the expectations of a 40 year anniversary.