John Glen's back projection myopia

I was reduced to tears of laughter and utter disbelief watching some extras on one of the John Glen Bond films Ultimate Edition, think it was AVTAK. He basically said that he was proud of how realistic the back projection and front projection looked in the films, and how it is really hard to spot the real shots from the fakes.

Well sorry JG, but bad back projection has always been a massive Achillies Heel of the Bonds (along with Bond usually having THE EXACT GET-OUT-OF-JAIL GADGET for every moment, including a heart defibrilator in his glovebox!), and given that your films were made in the 80s, when standards elsewhere were getting better, there's no much excuse for some of the cheapo effects we got.

The firetruck chase in AVTAK is a great example, as is the Golden Gate Bridge /Blimp scene, but there are so many littered over the series. How the man can say that with the passing of time is utterly absurd, and it's not just a case of "it looekd real back then", it didn't. Take a scene from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, when Ford and Connery are in a biplane over Turkey gettign attacke by two German planes, it wasn't for years afterwards, on DVD and HD, that it became obvious they filmed a lot of it in front of a blue screen.

It was well shot and appeared seamless at the time, but the same can't be said for Roger Moore on top of a train (OP), falling through mid air (MR, in a scene directed by then second unit director Glen), on an ice tractor (AVTAK), or being chased by a heat-seeking missle (OP again).

Comments

• Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    I think crawford is in suffering from an acute case of nitpickophobia. Achilles died from the wound to his heel, crawford -- this hardly qualifies in the same vein.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • crawfordbooncrawfordboon Posts: 126MI6 Agent
    hey don't get me wrong, I love John Glen, he is my favourite Bond director, and I'm not "nitpicking" about bakc projection as such, merely making the point that it's ludicrous for JG to praise it as looking realistic when it patently wasn't! :))
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,379Chief of Staff
    I think crawford is in suffering from an acute case of nitpickophobia.

Nitpickophilia, Sir, surely!

(Pedantic Barbel strikes again :D)
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    I think crawford is in suffering from an acute case of nitpickophobia.

Nitpickophilia, Sir, surely!

(Pedantic Barbel strikes again :D)

Yes, my mistake -- it is I who am suffering from nitpickophobia!

I feel like Steve Martin talking about the best advice he ever got:
    My uncle would say, "ALWAYS..." No no, wait, it was "NEVER..." :))
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    Comparatively to the older films with rear-projection, I think the Glen films work much better. At least the car chases have improved drastically. I still chuckle at the dangerous chase in Dr. No where Connery's turning the wheel everywhich way, and the background doesn't reflect his movements in the least. :))
  • PUCCINIPUCCINI Posts: 70MI6 Agent
    OP jet sequence was pretty realistic...
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,287MI6 Agent
    What was wrong with the MR freefall? It was done for real. Just a couple of close-up shots of Moore.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    I was reduced to tears of laughter and utter disbelief watching some extras on one of the John Glen Bond films Ultimate Edition, think it was AVTAK. He basically said that he was proud of how realistic the back projection and front projection looked in the films, and how it is really hard to spot the real shots from the fakes.

Well sorry JG, but bad back projection has always been a massive Achillies Heel of the Bonds (along with Bond usually having THE EXACT GET-OUT-OF-JAIL GADGET for every moment, including a heart defibrilator in his glovebox!), and given that your films were made in the 80s, when standards elsewhere were getting better, there's no much excuse for some of the cheapo effects we got.

The firetruck chase in AVTAK is a great example, as is the Golden Gate Bridge /Blimp scene, but there are so many littered over the series. How the man can say that with the passing of time is utterly absurd, and it's not just a case of "it looekd real back then", it didn't. Take a scene from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, when Ford and Connery are in a biplane over Turkey gettign attacke by two German planes, it wasn't for years afterwards, on DVD and HD, that it became obvious they filmed a lot of it in front of a blue screen.

It was well shot and appeared seamless at the time, but the same can't be said for Roger Moore on top of a train (OP), falling through mid air (MR, in a scene directed by then second unit director Glen), on an ice tractor (AVTAK), or being chased by a heat-seeking missle (OP again).
    While I agree that the rear projection work in pretty much any Bond film is nothing to write home about, I can't agree that things were getting better in the 80s. From my perspective, that vapid decade contributed to films -- Bond included -- dropping significantly in IQ points and artistry . . .
  • clumclum Santa Cruz, CAPosts: 63MI6 Agent
    although it's not Glen's work i always laugh at the sped-up boat fight at the end of Thunderball :))
    talk about turning the wheel without effect :o
    -{
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    If you want bad rear projection look no further than ice surfing in Die Another Day. :s
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    If you want bad rear projection look no further than ice surfing in Die Another Day. :s

Very true JFF, incredibly that was worse than anything in the Moore era. Positively shocking!
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    I sort of let the dodgy back projection in the 80s off because they couldn't do any better; my brother and I used to be fond of shouting "blue line!" when we spotted a rubbish effect when we were growing up.

In this post-Jurassic Park era, however, there is no excuse for it; which makes the horrendous back projection during the hovercraft chase in DAD and (especially) behind Valenka when she climbs on the boat in CR so horrific.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent

Yeah, but at least that wasn't the worst part of the movie (cough *plot, Halle Berry*)
  • SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    Agreed, I too found the back projection of the golden gate bridge scene to be jarringly obvious- hard to see why Glen feels it was seamless. I actively found that to be almost as shoddy as the car scenes in Dr No and Goldfinger- some 20 odd years earlier. But yes, Die Another Day had some blatantly obvious CGI scenes, as has been mentioned, so these 'fake' moments rarely work even now, imho.

I do give Glen a lot of credit, though. For me, he brought re-energised the series after Lewis Gilbert's big budget extravaganzas and Guy Hamilton's joke fests- both of those had seen their best days in the Bond franchise.