Roger Moore as a bad guy?

In the bond commentary on one of the new dvds, Roger Moore said he wanted to be a bad guy because they had better lines. :( Would you think that he would make a good bad guy?

?:)

Comments

• s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    I can't see him being very menacing or bad. He just doesn't seem like he could pull of a baddie, but I have never seen him in a role like that.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Hello, Jr. :)

I think Roger was pretty much typecast to play the hero (rather than the villain) right from the beginning of his acting career mainly because of his good looks. In the early days, in order to make a living he used to model sweaters and was the Brylcreem Boy in adverts. Brylcreem being a famous and popular hair cream at the time. It's hard to imagine the sweatered Brylcreem Boy as a villain.

Roger has made a career from playing the good looking hero type's, but there have been rare moments when he's shown that he could have been a good and convincing bad guy villain. The best example that I can think of right now is from The Wild Geese when Roger (as Shawn Fynn) forces a drug pedlar to eat his own product. He's very convincing in that scene.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,379Chief of Staff
    Check out The Quest, in which Sir Roger (as a bad guy) is the best thing in a Van Damme fiasco.
  • crawfordbooncrawfordboon Posts: 126MI6 Agent
    Roger was seriosuly brutal in the drug dealer scene in Wild Geese. Also, check him out in the Alias episode where he double-crosses a crime lord, he came across as pure devious evil!
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    I say give Roger a chance! You're underestimating the 2nd Best Bond Ever. If he does get to be the villain in one of the Craig-Bond outings, I know who I'll be rooting for... :p
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    C'mon. Roger Moore stunk up seven movies. Don't give him the opportunity to ruin another one.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    This came up recently when Loeff Jr., Loeff III and myself were watching one of the 'Ultimate Edition' DVDs with commentary by Sir Roger---how cool, BTW...pity they couldn't get it from the others :#

Jr. picked up on what he said about always wanting to be one of the bad guys, because they got all the best lines. He loved that...

I still don't have a copy of The Wild Geese on DVD, but I simply must get one...that's my favourite Moore movie of them all, I think. Very, very good...though he wasn't a villain, necessarily---merely a more strident anti-hero ;)

I hope he gets the chance to play a murder victim in 'Midsomer Murders'; one of those classic 'everybody wanted to kill him because he was such an a**' roles, which are what make whodunits good...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • ClassicClassic Posts: 51MI6 Agent
    Bond by Fleming IS a bad guy.
    You saw Roger as James Bond...
    SO...:v
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    RJJB wrote:
    C'mon. Roger Moore stunk up seven movies. Don't give him the opportunity to ruin another one.
    All I will say is no comment. :v

Seriously, as much as I loved Moore, I don't want him playing a villain in any future Bond films. (The same for any other former Bonds.) It will just be too weird. It's one thing to have an actor who played a lesser role (such as a Bond girl) play different roles in multiple films, but I think a Bond is crossing the line.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,288MI6 Agent
    He would be good as the Ray Milland role in The Wild Geese now, if they were to remake it.

Actually that would be good, if set in Iraq.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    edited February 2007
    He would be good as the Ray Milland role in The Wild Geese now, if they were to remake it.

You are getting your Roger Moore films mixed up, Napoleon. Ray Milland appeared in Gold.

Or did you mean Stewart Granger? He played Sir Edward Matherson, the banker who hires Burton & Co to rescue the kidnapped leader from Africa.
  • AlFoAlFo Posts: 15MI6 Agent
    Yeah a previous bond should not be a different character in a film. It was bad enough with Joe Don Baker re-appearing as a goody only 2 films after being a main baddie.

I reckon Roger could be an actor though, he's very underrated as an actor. Plus he was really nasty to Mary Goodnight is mwtgg
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,288MI6 Agent

You are getting your Roger Moore films mixed up, Napoleon. Ray Milland appeared in Gold.

Or did you mean Stewart Granger? He played Sir Edward Matherson, the banker who hires Burton & Co to rescue the kidnapped leader from Africa.

Yes, I meant S Granger! Oops... funny as a young Granger did look a lot like a young Moore, btw Milland played the same sort of sneaky role in Dial M for Murder... which had Prof Dent's Anthony Dawson as a killer... :s wheels within wheels
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Yes, I meant S Granger! Oops... funny as a young Granger did look a lot like a young Moore, btw Milland played the same sort of sneaky role in Dial M for Murder... which had Prof Dent's Anthony Dawson as a killer... :s wheels within wheels

Stewart Granger was Roger Moore's boyhood idol. And when Roger was admitted to RADA (Royal Academy of Dramatic Art) he recalled going home and shouting to his mother in excitement, "I'm going to be Stewart Granger!"

Granger, when he became aware of Roger's boyhood adulation of him reportedly said, "Why the hell anyone wants to be like me I just don't know, especially when he has risen to such enormous heights - higher than anywhere I've ever been in my life. I'm flattered, the guy must be an idiot - but he's still my buddy."