Goldfinger Question

I just watched (and listened) to the Goldfinger audio commentary and have a question. I may have missed the explanation since I was listening to the commentary but why did Bond place the tracking device and his message in gangster Solo's pocket? Even if he hadn't been crushed, would Solo take a note to the authorities? Since the note was destroyed, how did Bond get the info to Felix about Goldfinger's plan?

Comments

• RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    The CIA would have intercepted Solo and found the homer with the note, had the tracking device not been destroyed. Pussy Galore alerted the authorities and helped switch the gas, as Felix pointed out.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    edited February 2007
    Here's another question: When Goldfinger has Bond strapped underneath the laser, he says that Bond was recognized by 'an opposite number, who also has a licence to kill.' Who is he referring to? Burt Kwouk's Korean atomic physicist? He seemed more scientist than Korean Licenced 'Troubleshooter'.
    Seeing as Goldfinger was working with the Eastern powers, it's easy to believe that he had numerous contacts within their intelligence community. One of them no doubt identified Bond.
    Who it may have specifically been does not really matter, only that he was able to ID 007.
  • Ice Station 0Ice Station 0 Posts: 44MI6 Agent
    It seemed that there may have been a scene cut that had more info on the atomic phycisist. Bond made mention of him by name as to the one who built the bomb. I wondered how Bond new him by name, and his specialty, since there was no mention of him earlier in the film.
    edited February 2007
    While he was sneaking around the Auric Enterprises facility in Switzerland, Bond overheard Goldfinger tell Mr. Ling that Operation Grand Slam has his full attention. He also hear Goldfinger call Mr. Ling by name. Being unusually well informed, Bond knew what Mr. Ling's specialty was.
  • Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    This is a slightly confusing topic as you're not comparing like with like. The original question referred to the audio commentary on Fleming's novel (posted incorrectly in the film forum), but most of the responses seem to be relating to the film version, which has many differences in plot and characters.

Are we discussing the book or the film? And if both I think the differences should be highlighted.
    The original post said he was watching the movie and listening to the audio commentary.
    So it's the movie to which the questions are referring.
    Thanks for your response! My original question referred to the film version.
    The way I figure it: Goldfinger owed each of the mobsters $1 million in gold bullion, which he did not want to pay. So to placate them, he appealed to their greed and told them they could have $10 million tomorrow. And to illustrate how they would get their money, he revealed the details of Operation Grand Slam. By doing that, he assured that the only people who knew of the caper would be kept near him. No one would be gone and there would be no risk of anyone revealing the plot to people outside the inner circle. And when he gassed them, the secret remained within his control, except for the unfortunate Mr. Solo and his pressing engagement.

You can certainly argue the logic of Goldfinger's actions, i.e. "Why not simply kill them and be done with it?" Only defense is that it's a movie and we have to go along for the ride. We in the audience got to learn the basics of the caper just as Bond did. And if nothing else it just illustrates the point that there is no honor among thieves.

I'll admit it's over the top, but it's an enjoyable scene. Gert Frobe and Michael Collins chew up the scenery quite memorably. And it advanced the storyline of the movie very effeciently. Pure logic? Nah. But pure entertainment.
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    You may find it interesting that, until joining this forum, I was completely impervious to this little flaw in GF. My eyes have since been opened and I have seen things that I never noticed before.

It does seem silly that Goldfinger would reveal his elaborate plot to the gansters if all he intended was to kill them. It does seem silly that Goldfinger would release Mr. Solo only to kill him, destroy a perfectly good vehicle, and have to go through the trouble of removing the gold after it was all done. Perhaps these actions were necessary to satisfy Goldfinger's massive ego.

Either way, I think we sometimes think too much about what we are watching when we should just sit back and enjoy. I don't know about you, but this little bit in GF does not ruin my enjoyment of the film.
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    Agreed. One can indeed think too much...
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • crawfordbooncrawfordboon Posts: 126MI6 Agent
    After many years of wondering, I think I have finally hit upon the reason Goldfigner goes to such effort to present the scheme, when he is clearly planning to kill the crime guys anyway (presumbably rendering such a display pointless):

When Bond confronts Goldfinger after the latter gasses the mafia guys, he sayd something like "I enjoyed your little speech", to which Goldfinger responds, "So did I , Mr Bond" (or such like).

Basically Goldfigner is saying that he brought the crooks there with the intention of killing them, but the over-the-top demonstration of Grand Slam was purely for the benefit of his own ego. He got off by showcasing his own "perfect" plan to an audience.
    I like Tee Hee's explanation betterr than my own. Like him, I never gave the whole caper briefing scene much thought until it was questioned here. I just always enjoyed it.
    Roger Ebert calls this the "Talking Killer Syndrome." He continues with this: "This stretch of the film is founded on a fundamental absurdity. Goldfinger has assembled the heads of all the Mafia families of America at his Kentucky farm. He pushes buttons, and the most elaborate presentation in movie history unfolds. Screens descend from the ceiling. Film of Fort Knox is shown. The floor itself rolls back, and a vast scale model of the fort rises on hydraulic lifters (with Bond hidden inside). Goldfinger tells the mobsters what he plans to do, Bond listens in, and then shutters fall to lock the Mafioso in the room, and they are immediately killed with poison gas. My question: Why bother to show them that expensive presentation if you're only going to kill them afterward? My best guess: Goldfinger had workmen crawling all over the place for weeks, constructing that presentation, and he wanted to show it to somebody."
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Roger Ebert calls this the "Talking Killer Syndrome." He continues with this: "This stretch of the film is founded on a fundamental absurdity. Goldfinger has assembled the heads of all the Mafia families of America at his Kentucky farm. He pushes buttons, and the most elaborate presentation in movie history unfolds. Screens descend from the ceiling. Film of Fort Knox is shown. The floor itself rolls back, and a vast scale model of the fort rises on hydraulic lifters (with Bond hidden inside). Goldfinger tells the mobsters what he plans to do, Bond listens in, and then shutters fall to lock the Mafioso in the room, and they are immediately killed with poison gas. My question: Why bother to show them that expensive presentation if you're only going to kill them afterward? My best guess: Goldfinger had workmen crawling all over the place for weeks, constructing that presentation, and he wanted to show it to somebody."

:)) I don't always agree with Mr. Ebert, but for once I do. That scene was absurd.

The way I figure it: Goldfinger owed each of the mobsters $1 million in gold bullion, which he did not want to pay. So to placate them, he appealed to their greed and told them they could have $10 million tomorrow. And to illustrate how they would get their money, he revealed the details of Operation Grand Slam. By doing that, he assured that the only people who knew of the caper would be kept near him.

All he had to do was gather them in one room and kill them with nerve gas . . . without bothering to tell them about OPERATION GRAND SLAM.

Did this scene ruin my opinion of GOLDFINGER? No. There were other elements in the movie that I also disliked.

And of course, the absurdity is compounded by paying off Mr. Solo early and sending him on his way to a separate, elaborate death when he planned on killing all the others 10 minutes later. But of course, there was a reason for that choice that may not be apparent in our modern world. I'm dating myself here, but the crushing of the car was a huge deal when I was a kid. Practically invisible-car territory for '64.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    All he had to do was gather them in one room and kill them with nerve gas . . . without bothering to tell them about OPERATION GRAND SLAM.
    But why would he? He was a vain man with a massive ego. If you watch the conversation scene with Bond, you will notice the smile on Goldfinger's face when Bond was exclaiming how brilliant Goldfinger's plan was. Goldfinger was absolutely loving it. He was an egomaniac who, as well as loving gold, also loved it when other people applauded his brilliance. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • heartbroken_mr_draxheartbroken_mr_drax New Zealand Posts: 2,073MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    How nice, Dan. If you want to use Goldfinger's massive ego as an excuse for poor writing, go right ahead. For me, it was simply a case of poor writing.

Thank You!
    1. TWINE 2. FYEO 3. MR 4. TLD 5. TSWLM 6. OHMSS 7. DN 8. OP 9. AVTAK 10. TMWTGG 11. QoS 12. GE 13. CR 14. TB 15. FRWL 16. TND 17. LTK 18. GF 19. SF 20. LaLD 21. YOLT 22. NTTD 23. DAD 24. DAF. 25. SP

"Better make that two."
    edited February 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    How nice, Dan. If you want to use Goldfinger's massive ego as an excuse for poor writing, go right ahead. For me, it was simply a case of poor writing.
    But how was it poor writing? If the point of it was to showcase Goldfinger's huge ego, then what makes the writing so poor? Fish, we will undoubtfully disagree that GF is poorly written, but perhaps you could explain exactly why GF is in your view badly written, as it seems to me that your complaint (that Goldfinger didn't just kill the gangsters) is in fact the actual point of the scene itself.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited February 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    If you can't see why I feel that scene represented poor writing . . . 8-) Never mind.
    Well, I don't see. Or perhaps it is a fact that it is poorly written? 8-) Anyway, I asked you a valid question; why in your view, is it poorly written? Because it is certainly not a fact that it is badly written.
    edited February 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    Fish1941 wrote:
    If you can't see why I feel that scene represented poor writing . . . 8-) Never mind.
    Well, I don't see. Or perhaps it is a fact that it is poorly written? 8-) Anyway, I asked you a valid question; why in your view, is it poorly written? Because it is certainly not a fact that it is badly written.

I don't know that the sequence is badly written so much as poorly conceived. If the idea, as you suggest, was to show Goldfinger's ego, that was easily done with the scene with Bond, as you've already noted. I suspect that was a secondary concern of the writer. Goldfinger's ego is a character point that might help explain his wanting to rob Ft. Knox, but it's not a plot point, which should move the story along. His ego doesn't really come into play after that. It's not as if a fit of ego leads to his undoing later in the picture. As I see it, the only purpose the death of the gangsters serves is to present Goldfinger's plan to the audience and kill Solo in a spectacular way. Seems to me both could have been presented in a more integrated way. But again, it doesn't bother me or spoil my enjoyment of the film.
    In a sense, the whole thing crops up again and again in Bond movies where the villain elaborates on his plan to Bond, when he really intends to kill Bond anyway...always explained away as a side-effect of the villians egos. Let's face it: Bond movies are subtle. They use frequent plot devices to move the story along.

I will say that the scene in GF is probably a bit more enjoyable than others. I do think that the exposition is justifiably grounded in Goldfinger's ego. He's very proud of his plan (even Bond calls it 'inspired') but poor Goldfinger just has to tell somebody. He can't take any credit once it happens since he'll be labeled Public Enemy #1. So in order to stroke his massive ego, who's he going to tell? Other bad guys, and in order for them to think he's not insane (which he is) he has the entire model setup. Telling the mobsters and then killing them of course had three benefits 1) Auric tells his plan and gets the only 'credit' he can possibly get for his ingenuity. 2) Killing them doesn't chance GF being 'ratted out' afterwards. and 3) Goldfinger doesn't have to pay back the million dollar debts he owes them.

Perhaps we're looking at it backwards. Goldfinger didn't call them there to tell them his plan. He called them there to kill them all in one shot. Why not squeeze a little fun out them by letting them marvel at his plan first.

On the other hand, the Solo thing NEVER made sense to me at all.
    darenhat wrote:
    In a sense, the whole thing crops up again and again in Bond movies where the villain elaborates on his plan to Bond, when he really intends to kill Bond anyway...always explained away as a side-effect of the villians egos. Let's face it: Bond movies are subtle. They use frequent plot devices to move the story along.

I will say that the scene in GF is probably a bit more enjoyable than others. I do think that the exposition is justifiably grounded in Goldfinger's ego. He's very proud of his plan (even Bond calls it 'inspired') but poor Goldfinger just has to tell somebody. He can't take any credit once it happens since he'll be labeled Public Enemy #1. So in order to stroke his massive ego, who's he going to tell? Other bad guys, and in order for them to think he's not insane (which he is) he has the entire model setup. Telling the mobsters and then killing them of course had three benefits 1) Auric tells his plan and gets the only 'credit' he can possibly get for his ingenuity. 2) Killing them doesn't chance GF being 'ratted out' afterwards. and 3) Goldfinger doesn't have to pay back the million dollar debts he owes them.

Perhaps we're looking at it backwards. Goldfinger didn't call them there to tell them his plan. He called them there to kill them all in one shot. Why not squeeze a little fun out them by letting them marvel at his plan first.

Well done, DH.

I can't remember the exact subject of some of our debates, Darenhat, (and I'm too lazy to look them up), but I've had a number of them with people about similar apparent non-sequiturs in CR. And I've made a similar point about people sometimes looking at movie events backwards (the "Why-does-LeChiffre-put-Vesper-in-the-middle-of-the-road-where-Bond-almost-runs-her-over" question, for instance, leaps to mind: the answer is, of course, that he doesn't know Bond will almost run her over. He just thinks he'll see her). Looks like I've done the same type of thing here.

This is just a long way of saying that I think you are entirely correct about the slaying of the mobsters. GF's primary motive for bringing them there was to kill them. The exposition of the Ft. Knox plan was incidental. I put the exposition first.

Which makes me wish all the more that Mr. Solo's death had been better set up. I'm sure it could have been done pretty easily, thereby keeping the car-crushing sequence.
    edited February 2007
    Thanks, HH. AS for the "What was Vesper doing in the road" argument, I'm guilty of over-thinking that one, but it doesn't spoil the film for me, just as this scene doesn't ruin GF. In fact, I respect the fact that despite Goldfinger's ego, he had no intention of telling Bond anything...even when he was strapped beneath the laser. It may have seemed strange for Goldfinger to tell the thugs, but it certainly would have been more strange for Goldfinger to tell Bond directly.
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I think that it was a pile of crap and probably the worst Bond movie I have ever seen.
    Now you seem like an intelligent, level headed, well spoken(written) individual. You really believe this movie is worse than say YOLT, LALD, TMWTGG, MR, OP, DAD, TND, TWINE, AVTAK, really? Sorry just don't see it.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    GF is great. But in Fish's defense... AVTAK is better.

AVTAK: You know Goldfinger... I was always better.
    edited February 2007
    Darenhat, a great analyses of the scene with the mobsters. {[]
    darenhat wrote:
    Alot of people have objected to this scene because it seems that Goldfinger went to so much trouble to kill Solo. However, I think it is a perfectly logical scene as it is another example of Goldfinger's ego impacting his work. Yes, he could have just shot Solo, but why would he? He's a master criminal; the best at what he does. Why would he do something so ordinary when he himself is anything but ordinary? He killed Solo that way because, like he was going to kill Bond with a laser, killing people in unoriginal and ordinary ways does not befit a man of his stature. :D
    Dan Same wrote:
    Darenhat, a great analyses of the scene with the mobsters. {[]
    darenhat wrote:
    Alot of people have objected to this scene because it seems that Goldfinger went to so much trouble to kill Solo. However, I think it is a perfectly logical scene as it is another example of Goldfinger's ego impacting his work. Yes, he could have just shot Solo, but why would he? He's a master criminal; the best at what he does. Why would he do something so ordinary when he himself is anything but ordinary? He killed Solo that way because, like he was going to kill Bond with a laser, killing people in unoriginal and ordinary ways does not befit a man of his stature. :D

Sorry Dan, but the ego explanation doesn't really hold in this case. Not only does he kill Solo separately and have him crushed, he then has to separate the gold from the crushed car. It's waaaaay too much trouble for Goldfinger, who in addition to being an egomaniac, is an impatient, intelligent man. I'll buy the ego explanation in the first case because it doesn't cost GF anything to explain the caper to his victims, plus he gets to strut for a few minutes, if only in front of them. But killing Solo in that manner was too much of a pain the a**, and he gets no opportunity to strut, either. And you're right to compare the Solo slaying to the laser scene, but only because killing Bond with a laser rather than a bullet is also a bit hard to swallow. To make it more logical, GF should have wanted Bond to talk, and I think that could have been done without spoiling "the line" in this way:
    GF: Who sent you?
    JB: Do you expect me to talk?
    GF: Not really, Mr. Bond. I hopeyou will talk, but I expect you to die.

But I don't mind that type of thing in a Bond film, if it's not played for laughs. Which is why I'm always puzzled by folks who castigate CR for a couple of flights of fancy. There seems to be a serious double-standard between CR and GF, which I think boils down to this: GF is a beloved classic, CR, while extremely popular, is disliked intensely in some quarters. Unlike CR, nobody walked into GF the first time expecting to be disappointed.
    highhopes wrote:
    There seems to be a serious double-standard between CR and GF, which I think boils down to this: GF is a beloved classic, CR, while extremely popular, is disliked intensely in some quarters. Unlike CR, nobody walked into GF the first time expecting to be disappointed.

I don't really see that there's a double standard. GF had some over the top moments like a woman covered in gold, duck-headed scuba gear, an aston martin with everything but flying capabilities, and a woman named Pussy Galore. Everything about GF screams 'tongue-in-cheek' which means when you walk in the door, you check your hat, coat, and disbelief. CR wasn't that type of film, IMO.
    darenhat wrote:
    highhopes wrote:
    There seems to be a serious double-standard between CR and GF, which I think boils down to this: GF is a beloved classic, CR, while extremely popular, is disliked intensely in some quarters. Unlike CR, nobody walked into GF the first time expecting to be disappointed.

I don't really see that there's a double standard. GF had some over the top moments like a woman covered in gold, duck-headed scuba gear, an aston martin with everything but flying capabilities, and a woman named Pussy Galore. Everything about GF screams 'tongue-in-cheek' which means when you walk in the door, you check your hat, coat, and disbelief. CR wasn't that type of film, IMO.

It is true that GF is the film that nudged the series down the slippery slope toward self-parody, but it was only a nudge: GF still took itself seriously. It was not as aggressively tongue-in-cheek or over-the-top, IMO, as the later films, whose philosophy seemed to be that if a little whimsy went a long way, more whimsy will go even further. And CR, although more-down- to-earth than the last couple dozen outings, wasn't exactly an exercise in documentary filmmaking. Foiling terrorists with a card game, glove-compartment defillibrators and poison antidotes, one-man assaults on the embassies of small nations, injectable homing and medical diagnostic chips: those are pretty fantastic, too. So I think the films were not that far apart in terms of Bond paraphrenalia. I will grant you that a laser had a greater "gee wiz" factor in its day than a glove-box defillibrator does now, but that's more a function of the films' respective eras, even though the devices were/are real enough. We're used to gadgets now. We weren't in '64. I was serious in my earlier post that the car-crusher in GF was a real cause for amazement for '64 audiences. I doubt many younger people watching GF today for the first time would realize that.

The real difference in CR was that the film examined Bond's character rather than just showed a resourceful sophisticate using those amazing toys of his. This "gritty vs. silly" thing never was the either/or proposition it was made out to be by those who wanted to keep the Bond films just as they were. The idea behind CR was simply to inject a little more realism of situation and complexity of character into 007, not turn him into George Smiley.
    True enough, HH. One of the challenges of CR (or any Bond film for that matter) is to make the character 'believable' and still do 'unbelieveable' things and face 'unbelievable' situations. The nice thing about films like GF is that one can accept the implausibility of some things because there's really nothing about the film that demands plausibility.