Rare Aston Martin pedal car for Die Another Day

This thing is awesome...It was a 7 UP promotion for Die Another Day--I heard only 2 were made per state and given away, not sure if that is true or not. I have been trying to look for info on it and can't seem to find it. I even checked ebay and there is none like it on there either.

We're still debating on whether or not to sell it--though we are James Bond fans, we have a need to downsize our collections and this thing is pretty big--We would like to know more about it first though:)

Email me to discuss: wakscorpio@yahoo.com

Comments

• s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    I'm sure I have seen one of these in somebody else's collection on here. Maybe they will be able to shed some light on it.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    edited February 2007
    I have one....GREAT piece and a lot of fun if you have kids under seven. 7UP made them in a promotion. Towards the end they sold off all their remaining pieces to three wholesalers and they in turn sold theirs off to collectors. I think I bought mine for a song, $100 plus shipping (came in a monstrous box).

ab10.jpg
  • wakscorpiowakscorpio Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Wow...great response:) Thanks for posting the pic,,,Ours looks a little different though, it is also in mint condition but it has all the promo stickers on it--wondering if that makes a difference or not. Do you happen to know about how many there were altogether?

It is a great piece for any collection, but our problem is we HAVE 2 boys under 7 that drive us crazy wanting to play with it, which we don't allow--seems too neato and like a collectable piece to let them put wear on it. Hence the reason we are debating on whether to sell it. I have no idea where to even start a bid at on ebay or something. My husband is more attached to this thing than me, though we're both JB fans and have a shelf devoted to such---I'd like to find a huge action figure to put behind the wheel, but have had no luck--LOL.

wak
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    My version is also unique in that it has missiles sprouting from the grille, "working" twin guns on the hood, and a battery-operated sound effects unit operated by switches on the dash.

vanqpedallrgij2.th.jpg (Click the image for a larger view.)

It came from an employee of 7-UP's ad agency at the time; I've gotten two different stories regarding these differences: One, the agency originally planned for the cars to be more detailed but ultimately dropped the, uh, "optional extras" (maybe for reasons of cost) and two, enhanced versions were made available just to agency staff and 7-UP execs.

ThermTech (the company which made the cars) knew nothing about the added features so, at a minimum, they were added outside of the factory.

In the months following the opening of DAD, I saw standard units going for as much as US$ 1,200. Lately, though, I've seen them fail to sell on eBay at US$ 100.

One other thing I tried to learn from ThermTech but couldn't was just how many Vanquishes they produced. Whatever the number, tt seems like every one of them wound-up on eBay at some point! This is one of those items where "rare" doesn't necessarily correlate with "desirable;" that is, there may not be that many of them and they're certainly novel, but they're also huge, tough to ship, diffcult to display, etc. I think one of the reasons the market for these cooled is that over time, they're really only both appealing and practical to a handful of collectors.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    OK, that is just too cool for words!