Dirk Benedict as Bond?

Just got thinking about alternative Bonds to replace Roger Moore in 1987, and I hit upon the idea of Dirk Benedict. OK, he's American, but I'm sure he could have pulled off a reasonably British accent. He wss a credible action star, with the right looks, well known, and a genuine charisma - all of these qualities I would argue were lacking in the solid but unremarkable Timothy Dalton.

I'm not having a go at Dalton, as he was quietly effective as Bond in his own way, but I generally think hsi films ought to have been ligther and breezier, with a slightly less dark tone, and Dirk could provide that. Any other ideas?

Comments

• s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    Maybe if he had of, he wouldn't have had to lower himself to the level of appearing on Big Brother.
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    I remember looking at a sci-fi forum once and Dirk Benedict cropped up in relation to Battlestar Galactica. Someone said that Benedict claimed he turned down James Bond in the late eighties. Sounds unlikely but then James Brolin was apparently very close to doing Octopussy.

I thought Benedict came out of Celeb Big Brother very well considering the numbskulls he shared the house with. An intelligent, interesting man with a dry sense of humour. He still looks very handsome and young for a 62 year-old.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,379Chief of Staff
    Noooooooooooo!

{Do I need to expand on that? :D)
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Noooooooooooo!

{Do I need to expand on that? :D)

No you dont!

As much as I like Dirk, Bond he is not. Even in his Starbuck/Face Man heyday he could never have been Bond.

( And yes Arthur - he did come out of CBB rather well. He has a great sense of humour, very dry)
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    Much as I like Dirk--he's aged well,has a great self deprecating of humor,and is a good actor--I always liked Ian Ogilvy as a potential 007.

I suspect Ogilvy would probably have made a relatively smooth transition from Roger Moore since he once looked (and sounded) like he could easily have been Sir Roger's son--especially during the period when he had his own Saint TV series.

Having said that,as much as I like Sir Roger and most of his tenure as 007,I think Timothy Dalton was outstanding as James Bond and I liked the difference in tone that he brought to the character and the series.:)
    Much as I like Dirk--he's aged well,has a great self deprecating of humor,and is a good actor--I always liked Ian Ogilvy as a potential 007.

Ian Ogilvy was always a favourite of mine. I loved him in 'The Return Of The Saint' whizzing about in his XJS and wearing white trousers that never ever got dirty!

I would not have been unhappy for him to have been Bond.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Ian Ogilvy was always a favourite of mine. I loved him in 'The Return Of The Saint' whizzing about in his XJS and wearing white trousers that never ever got dirty!

I would not have been unhappy for him to have been Bond.
    I'm with that. I know we've had a discussion in the past about whether Ogilvy would have been a Moore-clone when EON were looking to take a more serious path, but I do think Ogilvy had a darker edge and would've been able to step out of Moore's shadow. Difficult one though, because he was a favourite (in the UK public's eye, at least) at the time to succeed Moore in the role, even though he was never seriously considered.

And I still think the XJS is one of the coolest cars on the road thanks to Return Of The Saint. :007)
    unitedkingdom.png
    Actually, Dirk may not have been a good Bond but he might have made a decent Leiter.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Put me in the Ogilvy camp, perhaps the best Bond that never happened. Agree about his dark side too. He would've made a great 70s Bond.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    I am joining the ever growing Ian Ogilvy appreciation society. It's not difficult to see why he was cast as Simon Templar in The Return of the Saint. He had many of the same qualities as Roger Moore. Qualities that I think were suited for the role of James Bond.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    I am joining the ever growing Ian Ogilvy appreciation society. It's not difficult to see why he was cast as Simon Templar in The Return of the Saint. He had many of the same qualities as Roger Moore. Qualities that I think were suited for the role of James Bond.

'Return of the Saint' came out on DVD last month. It's a bit pricey so I haven't got round to buying it yet. Ogilvy would have been a good Bond. I thought he was great as Simon Templar, but maybe that series was made too close to the Roger Moore version for Ogilvy to get the credit he deserved. I also thought he was great in 'Witchfinder General.' I'd love to get a hold of the Simon Dutton version of 'The Saint' as well. I missed that first time around (about 89 or 90 I think). Dunno if it will ever become available though. I'm told it's not that good.
  • wordswords Buckinghamshire, EnglandPosts: 249MI6 Agent
    John Drake wrote:

'Return of the Saint' came out on DVD last month. It's a bit pricey so I haven't got round to buying it yet. Ogilvy would have been a good Bond. I thought he was great as Simon Templar, but maybe that series was made too close to the Roger Moore version for Ogilvy to get the credit he deserved. I also thought he was great in 'Witchfinder General.' I'd love to get a hold of the Simon Dutton version of 'The Saint' as well. I missed that first time around (about 89 or 90 I think). Dunno if it will ever become available though. I'm told it's not that good.

The Simon Dutton Saint series was simply dreadful. Hardly any action and dull plots. He was ok in the part but it was a real missed opportunity.
    John Drake wrote:
    I'd love to get a hold of the Simon Dutton version of 'The Saint' as well. I missed that first time around (about 89 or 90 I think). Dunno if it will ever become available though. I'm told it's not that good.

From what I remember they were very uninspiring. I think they only made 3 or 4 episodes.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I've mentioned before my Ian Ogilvy fandom on these boards. There's no doubt he could have played Bond, Return of the Saint was a show of quality and substance largely due to his casting. And as a fan of his humble horror beginings you could say I'm slightly biased in his favor.

As for Starbuck, what boy my age didn't want be like him? He was way better then stuffy ol' Apollo.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    edited February 2007

You can add me as a member as well. I remember first seeing Ogilvy as the Saint in the early 80's and immediately thought he'd make a great Bond. He also reminded me of Moore but with a stronger streak of toughness when it was called for. He also hacked Vincent Price to pieces in Witchfinder General (called The Conquerer Worm here in the States) - no small feat.

He recently did a commercial for a soft drink (might have been Dr. Pepper) in which he played a James Bond type - he and a villain took turns trying to identify exotic ingredients in foods and beverages. Of course, he was able to identify the cola and the bad guy got dropped into a pool of pirahna. Even though he was in his early 60's he was still able to project that Bond vibe. Really too bad he never got a crack at the role.
  • ClassicClassic Posts: 51MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    TonyDP wrote:

You can add me as a member as well. I remember first seeing Ogilvy as the Saint in the early 80's and immediately thought he'd make a great Bond. He also reminded me of Moore but with a stronger streak of toughness when it was called for. He also hacked Vincent Price to pieces in Witchfinder General (called The Conquerer Worm here in the States) - no small feat.

He recently did a commercial for a soft drink (might have been Dr. Pepper) in which he played a James Bond type - he and a villain took turns trying to identify exotic ingredients in foods and beverages. Of course, he was able to identify the cola and the bad guy got dropped into a pool of pirahna. Even though he was in his early 60's he was still able to project that Bond vibe. Really too bad he never got a crack at the role.
    He did a similar commercial quite some time ago. I recall him identifying tea as Darjheeling in a voice virtually identical to Moore's. I, too, think he would have made a fine Bond.
  • 00gilvy00gilvy Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    I spend this weekend at my brother's and I have surprised him on your site.
    I am not there often, don't worry! I encrust myself to support you in your opinion: O G I L V Y!! I adored Ian as The Saint.
    {[]
  • Savoy1984Savoy1984 Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    I love Return of the Saint and think Ian would have made a brilliant James Bond, and the white XJS rocks I've even got a model of it on my book case and would love to get a real one.

Also to answer the topic in question Dirk would have made a pretty good Bond he had all the right qualities and I'm sure he could have pulled off an English accent too.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,379Chief of Staff
    Savoy1984 wrote:
    Also to answer the topic in question Dirk would have made a pretty good Bond he had all the right qualities and I'm sure he could have pulled off an English accent too.

An English accent is not an essential qualification for the part of James Bond. :D
  • Max HavelockMax Havelock Sheffield, UKPosts: 2MI6 Agent
    As mentioned Benedict would have made a great Felix in TLD and then LTK.
    He was the right age and American.
    At the time A-Team had just been decommisioned.
    David Hedison although excellent and far better than Terry? in TLD was still to old in 1989.