Scientists reveal the face of James Bond

Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
Psychologists reveal the secret face of Fleming's perfect James Bond

By Roger Highfield, Science Editor
Last Updated: 2:07am GMT 06/03/2007

Eat your heart out Daniel Craig. The perfect James Bond looks more like Sean Connery, according to a computer reconstruction published by psychologists today.

To discover exactly how the author, Ian Fleming, envisaged his hero, Prof Rob Jenkins, of the University of Glasgow, and Prof Richard Wiseman, of the University of Hertfordshire, have employed a technique known as prototyping.

Most people are poor at describing a face that they have in their mind, but they can easily pick out photographs of faces that resemble the image they are thinking of.

Previous research has shown that blending together several pictures of a face creates an accurate image of that person.

Now the same technique has been used for the first time to create a photograph of a fictional character.

nbond06a.jpg

In 1961 Fleming listed several Hollywood actors that he thought had the right facial characteristics to play Bond.

Prof Jenkins tracked down images of these actors - Cary Grant, David Niven, James Mason, Patrick McGoohan, Rex Harrison, Richard Burton and Stewart Granger - and used sophisticated software to blend them into a single composite.

"We have used face merging technology to create the image of Bond that Ian Fleming had in mind when he wrote his books," said Prof Wiseman

"The image shows a clean-cut, classic looking face which is far more Connery than Craig.'' He added: ''Perhaps this is another way of resolving the question of who is the best Bond."

Prof Jenkins said: "The image allows us to turn back the hands of time, go inside Fleming's head and see how he envisioned Bond when he was writing his novels."

advertisementThe same technique has applications for increasing the accuracy of witness testimony in crime investigations.

It could even be used by online dating websites to help people identify the types of face that they find most attractive.

The researchers will discuss their findings with interested members of the public during a free evening event - The Scientist who Loved Me - at the Dana Centre, the Science Museum's adults-only bar and café, tomorrow evening.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/03/06/nbond06.xml

Comments

• ClassicClassic Posts: 51MI6 Agent
    Very interesting ! The face is so impressive !
    -{
  • SolarisSolaris Blackpool, UKPosts: 308MI6 Agent
    I don't know, its an interesting technique, which might even be quite accurate.

Are there any actors that you think of when you see this.

I see John Barrowman, which is... Interesting.

I can see the headlines now.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Ugh! Looks like Gene Simmons, before he got heavy and saggy.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,722MI6 Agent
    It's all based on a false premise, really. It's not the Bond Fleming imagined when he was writing the books, it's the Bond you get if you add up all of the actors which were suggested by people including Fleming when they came to make films- those are two very different things.

Fun experiment, but not very interesting. Looks like Rock Hudson to me!
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Kind of looks like TV actor Joe Penny. Saw him on 'The Sopranos,' a few years ago and various other things.

penny.jpg

joe-penny.jpg
  • Apocrypha23Apocrypha23 Posts: 177MI6 Agent
    It is an interesting exercise, but yeah, based on a contrived premise. I'm sure Fleming's list included more than just appearance when considering who to cast as Bond. I'd think it would be more accurate to photoshop a thin scar and dark comma of hair onto a picture of Hoagy Charmichel.
    Fleming went so far as to commission a drawing of Bond for the Daily Express comics. You can see it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Fleming007impression.jpg
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Ugh! Looks like Gene Simmons, before he got heavy and saggy.

:)) :)) :)) {[]

I was also thinking Michael Ansara.
    For those of you who don't know him, Google him and you'll see what I mean.

I'm not so sure that's an especially accurate way of determining how Fleming saw Bond. I still say the picture in Fleming's mind was a picture of Fleming himself. The sketchy descriptions of Bond in the novels are simply the result of the author being a little sheepish about describing himself. And, of course, it allowed every guy reading the books to see himself as 007.
  • OsatoOsato Aberdeen, ScotlandPosts: 99MI6 Agent
    At first glance i thought it was UK tv actor Peter Egan.

How about those "scientists" morphing all the real Bond actors' faces together - might be interesting!
    Green figs, yoghurt, coffee very black.
  • Harry PalmerHarry Palmer Somewhere in the past ...Posts: 325MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    It's Carey Grant's ugly cousin! They would have done a better job using Qs identograph from FYEO.

Joking apart, the premise is indeed most unscientific.
    1. Cr, 2. Ltk, 3. Tld, 4. Qs, 5. Ohmss, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Frwl, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Avtak, 20. Sp, 21. Fyeo, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Just another reason to keep scientists away from art...or the entertainment business, even.
  • Neville JamesNeville James Posts: 29MI6 Agent
    I thought it was Gene Simmons, before his face puffed up in the 90's! He did a bit of acting you know. The producers perhaps even considered him, they considered everyone else, even Burt Reynolds! (Or was that Guy Hamilton who wanted him!)
    I think the whole thing in nonsense. For me when I read the books I see Connery. And if Connery had never played him Cary Grant.
    (In my opinion North By Northwest was the 1st James Bond film)
    This is not just because of the films, I recently read all 3 Bourne books back to back and I never once imagined that little 'pipsqueak' Matt Damon in the part.
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Looks like Ray Milland to me...

img0033.jpg
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    The VERY best Bond picture as visioned by Ian Fleming, is in my opinion, in Superado's avatar.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Doesn't look like the perfect Bond to me. Looks like... Julian McMahon, I think.
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    I really don't know what to think about this...

and I know exactly how ahrd it is to describe a character in one's head...I can;t even begin to describe what the Bond I see looks like...

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • Agent SidewinderAgent Sidewinder Posts: 223MI6 Agent
    Hmm, I swear I can see a bit of Christopher Lee in there, too...just make the face longer and the eyes narrower and he'd look a lot like him.
  • ToshTogoToshTogo Rep. of South AfricaPosts: 103MI6 Agent
    that pic is not my idea of bond, the closest thing (to my minds eye) of a good portrait of bond has been john mcluskys drawing
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    edited March 2007
    Lady Rose wrote:
    nbond06a.jpg

Thanks for sharing, Rose :)

He doesn't strike me as "terribly good looking"---which is how Fleming occasionally wrote that some of Bond's literary leading ladies viewed him---and which was a benchmark quote by poor Danny's most insistent detractors during the pitched battles of the Craig Wars...but that's only my opinion.

Fleming created one of the greatest characters of the last century...and his writing gives sufficient (and contradictory) information to allow, IMRO, a wide variety of actor representation, to be sure. His choice of actors to play the role is similarly diverse: from David Niven and Rex Harrison to Richard Burton and Cary Grant.

Might as well add the above image to a very long list, but he's not the 'definitive' one as far as I'm concerned---because, to me, such a thing does not exist away from the printed page.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    Looks a bit like a young Christopher Lee.
  • ClassicClassic Posts: 51MI6 Agent
    Yes, it's look like Joe Penny ! John Drake {[]
  • PUCCINIPUCCINI Posts: 70MI6 Agent
    the face resemblances that of Cary Grant-Tim Dalton-Sean Connery like...

sorry Dan, Pierce, Rog and Georgie...
  • Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond +++ Classified +++Posts: 569MI6 Agent
    I said a nose, not a banana Q!!
    The name's Bond_James_Bond
  • Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond +++ Classified +++Posts: 569MI6 Agent
    I said a nose, not a banana Q!!
    The name's Bond_James_Bond
  • double0double0 Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    This is a very late reply as I just joined AJB.
    The actors mentioned in this article were not just chosen because they might fit Fleming's idea of Bond. They were chosen for various reasons. Fleming knew David Niven. Cary Grant was obvious because he had done North by Northwest. Harrison and Mason were given nods because of their notariety and because they were what the international audience had become used to seeing as a English leading man.

I truly believe as many do that Fleming was describing himself in a guarded way. He probably made the Carmichael reference because he thought he resembled him in his youth - which he did a little..they both had long faces and prominent noses and similar hair styles (though Flemings was wavy). If the films had been done in the early fifties, I have always felt that Stewart Granger would have been the perfect choice. Not only did he resemble Fleming (an idealized version of course), he was a solid leading man with an authoritative voice. For those of you who might question my choice, look him up on Wikipedia and look at the photo they use, then try and watch any films he did in the 40's and 50's. As far as the actors that have been used thus far, I believe Timothy Dalton has probably came closest to Fleming's idea of Bond. Sure Fleming liked Connery after seeing him in Dr. No, and talking to him in person. However, in his mind Fleming may have only "went along" and was being diplomatic because he felt the film side of his creation was no longer in his hands, and he knew Connery would guarantee good box office (and therefore more money in Fleming's coffer). If he had been able to see all the actors that have played his creation, I think Fleming would have chosen Dalton first.