Jaws most memorable

Most memorable for his metal teeth i think richard kiel was one off the best, i liked him alot and miss him in the Bond films who else loved Jaws or did you hate him? reasons why if you did

Comments

• kees007kees007 Posts: 88MI6 Agent
    Most memorable for his metal teeth i think richard kiel was one off the best, i liked him alot and miss him in the Bond films who else loved Jaws or did you hate him? reasons why if you did

I liked him a lot. I actually got to meet him and spend a bit of time with him. He's very friendly. When you see him play Jaws, you don't get the impression that he's a scholar. He took me out to lunch one time and we started talking about American History. He knew so much. For about 2 hours he told me all sorts of stuff about the history. He could teach a college level course on that topic.

Kees
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    I always laugh at the bit in Moonraker when Jaws goes through the metal-detector. I thought he was fun but they could only get away with a character like in the Roger Moore era.
  • chris Walkenchris Walken Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    I always laugh at the bit in Moonraker when Jaws goes through the metal-detector. I thought he was fun but they could only get away with a character like in the Roger Moore era.

I like the part when he pulls the steering wheel of the boat in Moonraker near the waterfall, I chuckle everytime I watch it.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    I like Richard Kiel, and I got a chuckle out of the character like everyone else. But to me, Jaws represents where the Bond films went seriously wrong. I appreciate a little humor, but they're no place for slapstick.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    But to me, Jaws represents where the Bond films went seriously wrong. I appreciate a little humor, but they're no place for slapstick.

For me, TSWLM represents where the Bond films went seriously right. All the elements came together beautifully to produce the best Bond film of all, IMHO. And Jaws was a key element. He kills, he's a real menace. And the humour works, it's more to do with his apparent indestructability.

However, in MR things did go seriously wrong. There was too much slapstick. And Jaws basically ends up a lovesick teddy bear, he's in the film mainly for laughs.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    highhopes wrote:
    But to me, Jaws represents where the Bond films went seriously wrong. I appreciate a little humor, but they're no place for slapstick.
    For me, TSWLM represents where the Bond films went seriously right. All the elements came together beautifully to produce the best Bond film of all, IMHO. And Jaws was a key element. He kills, he's a real menace. And the humour works, it's more to do with his apparent indestructability.

However, in MR things did go seriously wrong. There was too much slapstick. And Jaws basically ends up a lovesick teddy bear, he's in the film mainly for laughs.
    MNL, I agree completely with your post! {[] (If I had one disagreement, it would be that IMO TSWLM was the greatest non-Connery Bond film of all time. It's not much of a disagreement though as I do agree that TSWLM was a magnificent Bond film and was IMO the last absolute Bond masterpiece. -{)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I get a grin from that glare of distain he gives the chap after destroying his roof. As far as contempt goes, that glance spoke volumes! :))
  • kees007kees007 Posts: 88MI6 Agent
    I don't see Moonraker as a failure. I've always found it amazing how many people will not like the film, though that's the film that produced a lot of loyal Bond fans. The film was made for 12-14 year olds. It was a huge success in its time.

Also, the idea of using the Space Shuttle in 1979, when the Space Shuttle wasn't known or anything is just amazing. It was so typical Bond, ahead of its time. Sure the battle was a little goofy at the end, but then that's just 10 minutes or so. I guess we can lighten up sometimes! And if those 10 minutes creates a huge slew of new Bond fans, I don't mind. I don't complain about product placement either.

Kees
  • chris Walkenchris Walken Posts: 85MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    kees007 wrote:
    I don't see Moonraker as a failure. I've always found it amazing how many people will not like the film, though that's the film that produced a lot of loyal Bond fans. The film was made for 12-14 year olds. It was a huge success in its time.

Also, the idea of using the Space Shuttle in 1979, when the Space Shuttle wasn't known or anything is just amazing. It was so typical Bond, ahead of its time. Sure the battle was a little goofy at the end, but then that's just 10 minutes or so. I guess we can lighten up sometimes! And if those 10 minutes creates a huge slew of new Bond fans, I don't mind. I don't complain about product placement either.

Kees

Ive read that because jaws was such a success in tswlm they had to bring him back for Moonraker beacause the fans simply loved him and wanted him back
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    kees007 wrote:

I liked him a lot. I actually got to meet him and spend a bit of time with him. He's very friendly. When you see him play Jaws, you don't get the impression that he's a scholar. He took me out to lunch one time and we started talking about American History. He knew so much. For about 2 hours he told me all sorts of stuff about the history. He could teach a college level course on that topic.

Kees

I agree, he's a great bloke and very interesting. When he came to the UK, as part of the help, I had dinner with him a number of times (he even treated me for my 50th birthday) and there's a lot more to him than Jaws. He's one of those people that if time permits, you could talk to for hours.
  • ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    Farmer : Mama mia , look what you did to my house ?

Jaws (thinking) : You should build a better house then , talk about crappy roofing....jeezus !
  • bigzilchobigzilcho Toronto, ONPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    I may be one of the very few people that has no problem that Jaws fell in love in MR. In fact, it is my contention that this MADE his character.

Shocking? Consider this:

Put aside the unfortunate use of music when he meets Dolly (the moment is played exclusively for laughs by Lewis Gilbert) and allow the possibibilty that a henchman can fall in love.

Could that have been handled better? Absolutely...and that would have made Jaws betrayal of Drax even more resonant.

Anyone who hates the fact that 007 goes into space should at least acknowledge that the Drax caper is not only beyond legitimate but terrifying in its implications.

We are talking about selective breeding, folks. And you are living in a dream-world if you believe there are not many like-minded powerful men who think that Drax might have been onto something.

MR is a cartoon... but the eugenics caper is anything but. In fact...its chilling.

Bond realizes that Drax's world has no place for Jaws and his girl and manipulates Jaws into realizing this.

If Jaws was alone, the scene cannot work. But Jaws glances over to his unsuspecting girl and realizes they are doomed.

That close-up of Richard Kiel as he glances at with love at Dolly is one the most beautiful moments in the series, I kid you not, fellow Bond-fans.

You may scoff and say this is a betrayal of one the best henchmen in the series...but I disagree...that moment of realization is one the greatest moment's in henchman history. It is a moment of tenderness in a fraternity that does not really know the meaning of the word.

Drax understands the situation instantly. It is the only moment ho loses his cool" "Jaws, you obey ME!"

So a tip of the hat to Richard Kiel for delivering a moment of grace in all the mayhem.

In order for
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    bigzilcho wrote:
    I may be one of the very few people that has no problem that Jaws fell in love in MR. In fact, it is my contention that this MADE his character.

Shocking? Consider this:

Put aside the unfortunate use of music when he meets Dolly (the moment is played exclusively for laughs by Lewis Gilbert) and allow the possibibilty that a henchman can fall in love.

Could that have been handled better? Absolutely...and that would have made Jaws betrayal of Drax even more resonant.

Anyone who hates the fact that 007 goes into space should at least acknowledge that the Drax caper is not only beyond legitimate but terrifying in its implications.

We are talking about selective breeding, folks. And you are living in a dream-world if you believe there are not many like-minded powerful men who think that Drax might have been onto something.

MR is a cartoon... but the eugenics caper is anything but. In fact...its chilling.

Bond realizes that Drax's world has no place for Jaws and his girl and manipulates Jaws into realizing this.

If Jaws was alone, the scene cannot work. But Jaws glances over to his unsuspecting girl and realizes they are doomed.

That close-up of Richard Kiel as he glances at with love at Dolly is one the most beautiful moments in the series, I kid you not, fellow Bond-fans.

You may scoff and say this is a betrayal of one the best henchmen in the series...but I disagree...that moment of realization is one the greatest moment's in henchman history. It is a moment of tenderness in a fraternity that does not really know the meaning of the word.

Drax understands the situation instantly. It is the only moment ho loses his cool" "Jaws, you obey ME!"

So a tip of the hat to Richard Kiel for delivering a moment of grace in all the mayhem.

Personally, I find the whole Jaws/Dolly romance very cringeworthy. Having said that, it is refreshing to see their relationship being put forward in a positive light. And I agree, Richard Kiel is very efective in that scene where Bond convinces Jaws that he and Dolly have no place in Drax's new world.