FYEO question

Bruce_007Bruce_007 Posts: 46MI6 Agent
edited March 2007 in The James Bond Films
Something has always bothered me about the scene where Bond and one of Locque's men go down the big ramp and off the jump on skis with Kriegler waiting below ready to shoot Bond. What I don't understand is why Kriegler doesn't shoot Bond? I know that both men are coming off the ramp at the same time, but earlier we are shown how well Kriegler can shoot. I think he could have pulled it off. Maybe Kriegler thought it was too public, but there are shots of him with the gun sticking out the window, looking ready. He really wasn't trying to hide what he was doing I don't think. What do you think about this?

Comments

• 3rbrown3rbrown MI6 Top Secret - Scotland, GlaPosts: 100MI6 Agent
    He didn't want to shot him at the top because the other people would see him do it but if Bond jumped and was shot in mid air nobody would know who done it.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    As a biathlete, Kriegler was used to shooting at stationary targets. My guess is that two moving targets coming off the ramp together was too difficult even for him. It would be a job simply to decide which one was the intended target in the short amount of time they were in the air.

Good question, though...
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    Perhaps the question that should be asked is...... Why does Charles Dance's character go down the ski jump with Bond? Locque is armed and has Bond covered at the top of the jump and Kriegler is armed and has Bond covered at the bottom of the jump.
    Perhaps the question that should be asked is...... Why does Charles Dance's character go down the ski jump with Bond? Locque is armed and has Bond covered at the top of the jump and Kriegler is armed and has Bond covered at the bottom of the jump.
    I think he does down to make sure Bond dosn't escape
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    3rbrown wrote:

If that's the plan it's not very clever. Surely, Locque & co's plan is to kill Bond without drawing any attention on themselves in such a public place?
    edited March 2007
    3rbrown wrote:
    If that's the plan it's not very clever. Surely, Locque & co's plan is to kill Bond without drawing any attention on themselves in such a public place?
    Locque wants to kill Bond then so Bond can't cause any more trouble.
  • Napoleon Han SoloNapoleon Han Solo Posts: 78MI6 Agent
    Actually, let's ask if these guys are actually trying to kill Bond. After all, Kristatos wants Bond to kill Columbo. I would submit they are merely meant to do a professional job of looking like they plan to kill Bond so Bond will be sure to go after Columbo. This idea works nicely with the realism of the film. If that many professional killers were chasing a man, even a very good one, likely they would kill him. The realism of Bond's escape is heightened if they are actually supposed to be letting him go. Possibly even Bond is suspecting this by the time he decides to trust Columbo and go to the smuggling ship with him.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,708MI6 Agent
    Actually, let's ask if these guys are actually trying to kill Bond. After all, Kristatos wants Bond to kill Columbo. I would submit they are merely meant to do a professional job of looking like they plan to kill Bond so Bond will be sure to go after Columbo. This idea works nicely with the realism of the film. If that many professional killers were chasing a man, even a very good one, likely they would kill him. The realism of Bond's escape is heightened if they are actually supposed to be letting him go. Possibly even Bond is suspecting this by the time he decides to trust Columbo and go to the smuggling ship with him.

Ooh- that does make sense actually! A bit of a shame, really, as it sort of ruins the ski chase a bit if they didn't really want to kill Bond! :)

Otherwise, yeah- they really do mess up the ski jump plan- there's nothing that Bond does that would actually stop his being shot. Cracking scene, though.
  • Napoleon Han SoloNapoleon Han Solo Posts: 78MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:

Ooh- that does make sense actually! A bit of a shame, really, as it sort of ruins the ski chase a bit if they didn't really want to kill Bond! :)

Otherwise, yeah- they really do mess up the ski jump plan- there's nothing that Bond does that would actually stop his being shot. Cracking scene, though.

It is a good scene and look at it this way - in Star Wars there is a battle with the tie fighters after the heroes escape the Death Star. After they win Princess Leia postulates that they were really allowed to escape because of a homing beacon placed on board. However, the battle with the tie fighters is still exciting. {[]