YOLT: The first misfire

AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
Why does Bond have to wait "two more days" to finish ninja training? There's a space launch imminent, world war III has a possibility of breaking out, and he has to finish learning the art of ninjitsu? Now correct me if I'm wrong, considering his profession, I'd think "physical training" would be the last of his worries.

Osato Industries must not worry much about bad publicity, I suppose a murder or two must happen occasionally. Especially in front of the Head Office.

And it's a good thing the marshmallows at Kobe docks weren't labeled machine parts. That's gotta hurt.

Comments

• darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    Do we really want to start picking apart YOLT? We could be here for days. What exactly was Bond intending by climbing aboard the SPECTRE spacecraft? Did he think he'd be able to pilot himself back home after SPECTRE headquarters caught on that their pilot wasn't on board?

I think the combination of Roald Dahl and Lewis Gilbert was a bad mix for Bond, especially after such a strong showing with TB. I suppose we could call it 'Connery's DAD'.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    What the hell--I've got time to kill! Why does Blofeld send a fleet of helicopters after Bond when he scopes out the volcano in Little Nelly? Bond didn't see anything and he wouldn't have known anything suspicious was going on if it weren't for those helicopters!

And what happened to the poison gas in the caves between the time of the girl's funeral and the caves being used as the route of escape for Bond, Kissy, and the ninjas?
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,368Chief of Staff
    Why exactly does Tiger Tanaka have a chute leading to his office?

Could Helga have thought out a more unreliable, public, and expensive method of killing Bond if she had really tried?

Suction cups! Just what one would carry under one's fisherman disguise...

And my favourite: Just where are the television pictures coming from? Who's filming the car being dropped in the bay, who's catching the images of the spaceships? (Yes, I know it's Freddie Young)

These and many others like them are the reasons I and many others like me love YOLT. And TSWLM. Etc, etc. Basically, it's a good thing that the world is filled with madmen who can hollow out volcanoes and fill them with large-breasted women- otherwise, top spies would be forced to deal with drug dealers, terrorist bankers and so on ad infinitum. Nothing wrong with any of this as long as we don't get a steady diet of it.
  • clumclum Santa Cruz, CAPosts: 63MI6 Agent
    no

a Beatle wig and hunching over doesn't make Connery look like a Japanese

but i love YOLT

-{
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,368Chief of Staff
    edited March 2007
    clum wrote:
    a Beatle wig and hunching over doesn't make Connery look like a Japanese

One YOLT lover to another- Roald Dahl can't take the blame for that; Bond's "disguise" and cover as a fisherman come from the book.
  • bigzilchobigzilcho Toronto, ONPosts: 245MI6 Agent
    Alex, with all due respect, is it possible that your opinion of YOLT's flawed plotholes (which you can admittedly drive an Aston Martin through) distracts you from simply sitting back and enjoying Bond popcorn entertainment at its best?

Isn't is enough that YOLT is a Bond extravaganza that every 12-year old in each of us holds dear to his heart?

Misfire?!? In what way? YOLT is a pop-culture triumph!
    (Just ask Brad "The Incredibles" Bird).

Is it possible to admit that the film is flawed and, at the same time, wonderfully entertaining?

You can sit back and question the absudities in the film and you would have a point...but, Alex...where is the love?

I think the AJB forum is terrific but I have to agree with Klaus H. (who is taking a break from the site) in his assertion that negativity is beginning to erode the quality of dialogue.

Look, Alex, your opinions are valid and viable but I am becoming increasingly bored with the singular goal of certain topics which want to nit-pick a Bond film.

Nit-pick YOLT?

Come on, THATS the easiest thing in the world. Any good lawyer could convince us that the movie is either a landmark of 20th century art or a piece of cinematic crap. Either way...its just a point of view.

Each Bond-fan knows has his own likes and dislikes, of
    course, and its not the fact that you claim YOLT is a "first misfire" (just how many are there? I count DAD as the only one) that I object to.

It is the fact that no where in your post do I get the sense you even LIKE the film (and I know that CAN'T be true). A glimmer...a sliver...a sand pebble of appreciation for something...ANYTHING in the film...just to get the sense that the movie is enjoyable in some way.

I'm talking about the "tip of the hat", Alex. The gesture of appeciation.

It ABSOLUTELY bewilders me to read the harsh criticism directed to some films and 007s (some very ugly comments in this deptartment, sad to say).

I enter this forum to converse with best Bond fans on the planet, to share in the joy of Bond...and it depresses me to see the amount of disproportianate negative energy used to knock down 007.

That...is...too...easy.

Flaws? The series is rife with them...and without question...but you know what? It does not matter. At least to me.

Alex, I needed to throw in my two-cents because your title (with the implication of many "misfires" ) is the type of post that is starting to wear me down.

Check out just how many posts there are in which the basic premise is based on criticism rather than appreciation.
    (Of course, there is plenty to criticize, and totally necessary...it is degrees I am talking about).

For myself, the juice of this forum is the members enthusiasm. Nothing sweeter for a Bond-fan than conversing with like-minded folks. Even when there is healthy disagreement in the air.

(BTW, how can any Bond-fan claim to "HATE" a Bond film like TMWTGG? That is contradictary).

My question is this, Alex: is it possible, in the future, for members to cut some slack to a Bond film they don't particularly like? Just a little love, if you please.

The gesture of Bondian appreciation would be...truly appreciated.

Thanks. BZ

"Welcome to Japan, Mr. Bond."
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    edited March 2007
    YOLT is solidly my very favourite 'Big Spectacle' Bond. And the last time I attempted to point out that Bond's 'disguise' as a Japanese originated in the book---and not this much-maligned film---it led to an argument :#

I've never really noticed Connery's apparent 'boredom' in this one---or perhaps I ignore it---I acknowledge that others feel that way...but frankly, I don't care.

I love Little Nellie; aside from the DB5, it's my favourite Q branch gadget/vehicle. Bond's 'fake death' in the PTS...Bond hitting that guy with the sofa...the panoramic sequence with Bond fending off impossible numbers of foes...the poison trickling down a thread...the fantasy piranhas who can 'strip a man to the bones in seconds,' or whatever...yes, the hollowed-out volcano...

I really like this movie. Sorry 'bout that :D

"Bon appetit" B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    YOLT has some great moments, sure. My biggest gripes are how thinly it's written, it's like watching ADD Bond, just popping in and out from scene to scene. And, the hokey bits of Fleming travelogue, like EON was thinking, well we've tossed out Fleming's superior plot, but if we keep the tea ceremony we're golden. Japan came across as the ultimate product placement, lol. Hey, make me want to visit the exoctic Bond locale, not buy shares in it. Like a lot of TB, it subsitutes spectacle for character and story, but in this film it's utterly pervasive, don't blame Connery one bit for feeling lacklustre about it. At least he showed up, too bad the writer and director (and by extension the producers...) didn't. Definately a by-the-numbers sellout IMO, and dull viewing because of it. A notch (okay, two) above the FLINT films, but just barely.
  • SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    This used to be a favourite, but it's really not now as I feel there are so many flaws, not to mention Sean's lacklustre performance. But, I still prefer this to Thunderball and it IS good 'sit back and enjoy the ride' entertainment which means I always enjoy it when I see it.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Do I rank YOLT highly compared to most other Bond films? Nope.

Does Sean Connery look like he gives a hoot about the proceedings? Nope.

Does the film proceed logically? Nope.

Is it nonetheless my greatest "guilty pleasure" among Bond films?

HELL YES!!!

They went in a different direction for this one -- lush photography, rich music, heavy atmospherics, a "travelogue" feel and something of an epic sweep. It doesn't always work, but there is truly much to enjoy here:
    -- The first depiction in a Bond film of Americans as slightly buffoonish
    -- The gorgeous sunset shot as Bond exits the sea
    -- A brilliant fight scene between Bond and the bulky Mr. Ponytail
    -- Little Nellie, with "007" and the original Bond theme playing behind it
    -- Aki, a breath of fresh air
    -- Aki's death , a few minutes of real quality and sadness
    -- Blofeld dissing the Chinese guys
    -- The Bond set to end all Bond sets
    -- Arguably the greatest score of the entire series

This is no masterpiece of the canon, but I never fail to have fun watching it.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    To the Z-man ... I LOVE YOLT

I respect and understand where you're coming from. But .. c'mon man, I'm not trying to wear anybody down and my post does not reflect the general position of AJB. My 007 time means that a lotta love comes with a little nitpicking. Call it From Japan with love if you will.

Just because I start a thread on the most easily maligned entry this side of AVTAK doesn't mean there isn't much that I hold dear with it. Just ask anyone I know. :D

Perhaps I could have ventured forth some of YOLT's more memorable elements but to me the fifth entry was the first in Bond history telling me the dream was over. That will always dissappoint me, fellow 007 fans. After two sleek, efficient, spy thrillers, and a second duo of larger then life intelligent extravanzas, YOLT can slightly damper my thoughts at times. I wish they could've kept the home fires burning, but thank goodness for '69...

The Little Nellie segment, play it loud! I still love this movie btw, I guess I should have included that -{
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    YOLT is something of a guilty pleasure for me, despite Sean Connery's non-performance and his ridiculous Japanese disguise. Not forgetting Donald Pleasance being miscast as Blofeld.

The majority of my pleasure comes from John Barry's magical score. The Wedding Theme is my favourite piece of all Bond music. I also like many of the characters including Tiger Tanaka, Henderson, Aki, Kissy and Helga Brandt. Other highlight's include Bond's burial at sea, the fight in Osato's office, Little Nellie, and the ninja raid.

When I am in the mood to watch an enjoyable and entertaining Bond film that doesn't require to be taken seriously then YOLT is one of the first (if not the first) I think of.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    Just because I start a thread on the most easily maligned entry this side of AVTAK doesn't mean there isn't much that I hold dear with it. Just ask anyone I know. :D

I'll never convince anyone will I? I guess I'll just quit now with my quasi-Inquisition like preaching of how AVTAK is such a great Bond film now...

Nah... ;)
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    I love YOLT. It is flawed, for reasons that have already been said, but I think it's extremely entertaining. I love the chase/fight scene at the start of the film, Helga is IMO a terrific henchwoman, the car chase involving the lifting of the car is really fun, the sets are fantastic, the various shootouts are really cool, and Connery (while he delivers IMO his weakest official performance) is still really good.

In fact, I consider Connery's performance in YOLT to be among the most underrated Bond performances in the entire series. I actually think that his performance sums up the film itself; nowhere as good as in the four first films, but still very good.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    You know, I'll give my opinions on YOLT.

It's not the best Bond flick. I don't find it that entertaining. Pre-Death of Helga is a pretty good section of film, as Aki is a superior Bond girl to the insipid Kissy.

Bond going to ninja school totally goes DOWNHILL. It becomes really really really boring. The "remake" so to speak, TSWLM, was infinitely more entertaining and superior to this film in every way, while TND was another flop (in my book).

I guess the lesson is... don't set up a YOLT-ish plot in Asia.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    Lol at your "lesson" JFF. Classic.
    Haha, well, if I wasn't around, where would all the almost insane statements and extreme controversy be? I love stirring the pot up around here... ;)
  • ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    Sorry , but the ninja school is pretty groovy...at least if you like martial arts films ;)

Blofeld dissing guards...was the word "dissing" even invented in 1967 lol ?

In the 60s Batman series Dick Grayson used a miniature camera...if there was such a camera then it could've been used when the car was dropped so I don't consider this a flaw per say ;)

Basically Blofeld wants to start WW3 but is he gonna take over the countries like a dictatorship or something post-cataclysm ?

He'd still prolly have to fight rebels as there would be bound to be survivors ?

Also , how could there be a human race in Strombergs underwater world...there were only guard men there lol ?
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    Back in 1967,scenes such as the Ninja training camp sequence were not commonplace. And I was only 14 years old, so it was definitely cool. With the passage of time, some of the stuff in YOLT has become groan-worth (the entire Little Nellie sequence, for example), while other bits are still OK. I remember seeing NASA pictures of an American space ship that opened exactly as the SPECTRE interceptor did. Man, they could have used the tagline that YOLT is not science fiction, it's science fact.

And I can agree that Connery's performance was not on a par with his previous appearances, but it was still Connery as Bond, and that's more than sufficient for me.
  • Napoleon Han SoloNapoleon Han Solo Posts: 78MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:

I'll never convince anyone will I? I guess I'll just quit now with my quasi-Inquisition like preaching of how AVTAK is such a great Bond film now...

Nah... ;)

Never give up, Jennyflex...that's not the Bond way!

On YOLT...I was saying in another entry I now think of Bond's as breaking down into A,B and C for me, where A's are classics, B's have decent Bond moments but some awkwardness and are often more to be appreciated for their kitsch value, and C's are the ones that are fairly unforgiveable (tho I'll still watch them, just not buy.)

And yes, by that token, YOLT is Connery's first B. Which isn't bad. Though his Japanese disguise always reminds me of Star Trek when Kirk disguised himself as a Romulan.

In case you're curious, I rate the actors on that scale thusly:
    Connery: 4 A's, 1 B, 1 C
    Lazenby: 1 A, lucky devil
    Moore: 2 A's, 4 B's, 1 C (Moore was def. the kitschiest Bond, and I love him)
    Dalton: 2 B's
    Brosnan: 1 B that's almost an A, 3 C's

Just my opinions though folks, and I'll let y'all guess which are which (um, I guess Lazenby's fairly obvious lol) {[]