My Goldeneye Review

alabamabondfanalabamabondfan Posts: 23MI6 Agent
edited March 2007 in The James Bond Films
I enjoyed Goldeneye but I'm not sure where I would rank it overall. I thought Pierce Brosnan was really good but not great. I'm not sure anyone could ever be great in my mind next to Connery. Really, Pierce would be every bit as good as Roger Moore if he was a little tougher. His acting and wit was superb, I just had a hard time believing his action scenes.

The action scenes in the film were excellent(overlooking Remington Steele's performance of course). I especially liked the tank chase through St. Petersburg. The fight at the end was really good as well.

The villians were good. Sean Bean as 006 was very good. I didn't really like Onatopp. She should have been called Overthetop. The general was pretty good.

I enjoyed the plot. I think it was slightly better material than Dalton was given to work with.

The girls in the film were around average to me. Natalya was very good looking but Overthetop didn't really do anything for me. The newest moneypenny was a HUGE improvement over the last one.

Tomorrow Never Dies is up next. Looking forward to it.

Comments

• JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    In my opinion, Natalya is the best and most complex Bond girl they've had in awhile. It doesn't help that she's hot however.

Pierce's action scenes were very believable to me at least, none of the Bond's do I doubt (except Dalton kind of).

It's funny as many are all ga-ga over Xenia instead of the superb Natalya. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Xenia, an you're certainly right about her being over-the-top because... she was. To each his own I suppose.

GE is my favorite, even more than AVTAK, which I frequently preach about around here. Whenever it's attacked, and they're becoming more frequent now because of a certain movie that will not be named that just came out last year, I've been more prone to defend this "golden" gem.

Have fun with TND! It's not my cup of tea, but it may be yours.

JFF
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    "This is the Nineties and women want a different man, a man who shows his feminine side. Pierce definitely has that." - George Lazenby

:))
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I will agree that Natalya is much cooler than Xenia JFF (thats the jist of what you said, isnt it?) However, I think the entire Brosnan era was a little too light weight for my liking, and too serious to be considered light weight.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    taity wrote:
    I will agree that Natalya is much cooler than Xenia JFF (thats the jist of what you said, isnt it?) However, I think the entire Brosnan era was a little too light weight for my liking, and too serious to be considered light weight.

That's good to hear you agree with me on Natalya (that was the jist).

And taity, you have provided us with a conundrum... ;)
  • Prince Kamal KhanPrince Kamal Khan Posts: 277MI6 Agent
    Lazenby wrote:
    "This is the Nineties and women want a different man, a man who shows his feminine side. Pierce definitely has that." - George Lazenby

:))

Well, Pierce definitely showed us Bond's "feminine side". Which is a big reason why Daniel Craig is now playing the role instead.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    After such a long break, I'd hoped EON would dispense with such annoyances as double plots and one-note "comedic" characters...guess not. It's a shame it's so underwritten, there's a really good Bond film in there somewhere, as-is it's good PR for the video game and that's about it. Oh well, sign of the times.

BTW alabamabondfan, I've really enjoyed your trip through the Bond canon, your reviews are fun to read and always give me pause to think. Cheers! {[]
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    Alabama...

Have you seen OHMSS yet? I'm just curious because you seem like an OHMSS type guy and I'm wondering what you thought of it. Cheers!
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    I love GE. I consider it to be a brilliant Bond film, and the best since TSWLM. I thought that Brosnan was amazing (alabamabondfan, I actually think that he handled his action scenes superbly), I thought that the villains were great, I liked the plot and I think that with one key exception, its screenplay was fantastic. This exception prevented GE from being the absolute masterpiece that I believe it should have been. I'm speaking of the psychoanalyzing (M's speech, the beach scene, some of Alec's dialogue) which I really didn't like at all. I think that if the film didn't feature this psychoanalyzing, it could have been an true masterpiece.
    I didn't really like Onatopp. She should have been called Overthetop.
    :o I absolutely loved Xenia. I really adored her. IMO she was among the greatest henchpeople of all time and (sorry JFF :D) I think she was vastly superior to Natalya.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,363Chief of Staff
    So far no-one has mentioned GE's major weakness- the weak, inappropriate and unmemorable music by Eric Serra.
  • NatalyaNatalya Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    I actually liked the Eric Serra score. Especially the credits song at the end.

And yes, I agree. Natalya was probably one of the best Bond girls ever.
  • Harry PalmerHarry Palmer Somewhere in the past ...Posts: 325MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    Interesting review. I have five points to contribute to the discussion.

1. Yes Eric Serra's score was quite disappointing. Not bad in itself. But simply not Bondian.

2. I agree, Natalya makes a great Bond-girl.

3. I thought Pierce was okay. He certainly looked great and his acting was good; but his interpretation was in my opinion a little safe. It lacked Dalton's edge and of course Connery's original charisma. Even Moore, whose interpretation I don't particularly like, was more memorable because he contributed something to the character. All these actors had an agenda: an aspect of themselves they managed to give the character. Whereas Pierce just played it middle-of-the-road.

4. The big plus of the movie is the care (and money) invested in production. I mean, these movies look better than their predecessors just by virtue of having been shot by more competent cameramen with better equipment. The late 70s and 80s Bond, by comparison, seem amateurish.

5. As for my one major criticism: the movie sags in the middle. Frankly I found the tank-chase sequence boring, and it was only at the very end that the movie managed to pick up the pace it had lost there. This is unusual as in my view flawed Bond movies tend to run out of steam in the third act (I can think of many good movies that just sag at the end: TB's endless underwater battle, YOLT's volcano, TLD's afghanistan sequence, TWINE's invasion of the blonde bimbo; AVTAK's silly fire-truck chase; even the really bad ones like MR and DAD are okay until the unbearable finale). But, weirdly, GE's moment of embarrassing plotlessness comes in the second act, bringing the movie to a grinding halt.
    1. Cr, 2. Ltk, 3. Tld, 4. Qs, 5. Ohmss, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Frwl, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Avtak, 20. Sp, 21. Fyeo, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg
  • alabamabondfanalabamabondfan Posts: 23MI6 Agent
    Blueman, I'm glad you've enjoyed the reviews. {[]
    It's been a lot of fun making my way through the Bond catalog for the first time.

Lazenby, I thought it was ok. I thought GL was ok as Bond but I would have enjoyed it more if OHMSS was with Connery or even Moore's first Bond film. There were certainly some excellent scenes in the film but its probably not in my top 5. Nowhere near as bad as Moonraker/Octopussy/TLD though..........
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    GE brought the audience everything they expected, and this made it a good Bond movie.
    In CR they set out to make a very good action movie with the personality of James Bond in the centre, and it made it a brilliant Bond movie!
    A very short, but in my oppinion, to the point comment.
  • Napoleon Han SoloNapoleon Han Solo Posts: 78MI6 Agent
    I agree that GE brought the audience what they expected, and what I think were looking for in a Bond film at the time. Not really anything progressive, but something reminiscent of the old days. It is almost, but not quite, conceptual. I like the psychoanalyzing, it makes me think that the producers were already champing at the bit to go in the direction of CR.

I like Xenia. I find her funny and appropriate to the flavour of the movie, which is more Bond as superhero than flesh and blood guy...however, the Over-the-Top joke is funny:)). In all honesty though Famke Jansen looked much sexier in the X-Men movies.

I personally like the titles, the symbolizing of the fall of the soviet union works perfectly with the noirish psychosexuality of early Bonds. And the song is good too.

This is definitely a comic book movie, as they all are. I think it is a decent one. I have recently begun to think of Bond movies in terms of A,B,C. An A is a true classic. A B is a decent Bond movie with some awkward moments and slow points. A C is a movie only redeemable by it being a Bond movie. There are fortunately not too many C's, though unfortunately several of Brosnan's are, in my books. GE wavers somewhere between A and B for me. Not quite a home run, but interesting for it being the first Bond dealing with the end of the Cold War, and having something new to contribute in terms of character development.