Why Brosnan lost it.

2»

Comments

• Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    I think that Brosnan was a brilliant Bond, and the second best all of time. Although I don't think that his films were perfect (mostly due to the scripts, a problem which IMO he also shares with Dalton and Craig), I think he was absolutely extraordinary. Two of his performances (GE and TWINE) are in my Bond top Ten, while I also really liked his performances in TND and DAD (his performance in TWINE is my favourite non-Connery performance.)

What I love about Brosnan was his versatility, combined with a kind of new-age sensibility. Some people have suggested that Brosnan was inconsistant or that he wasn't as good at acting 'serious.' I disagree. While I do think that he was great at the suave/sophisticated aspects, I also think he was masterful at the serious aspects, such as his reaction to Paris's death, his confrontation of M in DAD and his interplay with Alec and Electra. I was never let down by his performance and I would argue, that if Connery had never been Bond, Brosnan would be seen as the best ever.

That said, I don't think he was perfect. I found his uttering of The Line in TWINE to be a little self-aware, and (like all post-Connery Bonds) he didn't give off a sense of electricity in the same way that Connery did. Also, like all post-Connery Bonds, I didn't love watchjing Brosnan perform the most mundane tasks like I did with Connery. Nonetheless, I loved watching Brosnan work and I will always think of him as not just a truly legendary Bond, but the second greatest. -{
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • actonsteveactonsteve Posts: 299MI6 Agent
    To be honest,I was never that sure of him in the role. He never gave off that frission of danger that the others did (even Rog on occasion). Maybe it was his build (slight), looks (pretty) or overly suave persona he seemed to fail for me the way the equally glib Rog never did.

I used to blame his films. Goldeneye was OK but never had rewatchability factor.The first German half of TND is quite good. But I loathed both TWINE and DAD. Both stink, to me, like week old rubbish.

I think the backlash against Brozzi is justified.
    Especially set against the power house that is Daniel Craig. I'm glad his era is over as it is my least favourite. I almost never watch his films.

Weak Bond, lousy films.
  • markdownmarkdown Posts: 47MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    i don't think brosnan lost it because he never had IT in the first place. weak films appalling central performance i honestly cannot pick out anything commendable about his tenure.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:
    Thank heaven for that, your grace and wisdom would be sorely missed. I might add, your support of Rog has put me in mind to re-examine my own feelings on his Bonds, and where once there were no Moore DVDs, now there are two: LALD and TSWLM. And both get some fond viewing.

Thanks for the kind words, blue.

Two down, five to go. :D

I won't pretend that Roger's seven Bond films are all perfect and he's the best Bond in all of them. All I ask of anyone is look at the whole picture. Yes, there's OTT silliness, but it accounts for only a small fraction. If you look at the whole picture you will find plenty of great acting, action, locales, sets, etc, etc, and yes great humour.

Personally, I love LALD, TSWLM (My favourite Bond film), FYEO & OP. MR has some great elements but is spoiled by the silliness. And I do enjoy watching TMWTGG & AVTAK, I suppose I would being a Roger fan. I am fully aware of both films shortcomings but I really don't think they are as bad as most Bond fans make them out to be.

OK, so Roger was not the tough ass Bond. Do I give a damn. But he was a good fighter and was convincingly tough when the situation required, which happened perhaps not as often as some would have liked. He had a great screen presence loaded with charisma, suaveness and charm. And he always gave of his best.

All hail His Rogesty. :D
  • SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    Yeah, I'm a big Roger fan in general. I watched Octopussy again today and I STILL adore it- one of the most entertaining films of the series for me. I do think if he'd have played it like he'd done Simon Templar he would be received as well as Connery, though. As I often say, it's the scripts which demanded otherwise, really.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:

The king is dead. Long live the king. There's a new man in town and he's tougher and has more grit than his "pretty boy" predecessor.

A year ago Daniel Craig was the great pariah, now he's the second coming, praise the lord. Whereas, the previously popular Pierce Brosnan is now the great pretender. My, how fickle Bond fans can be.

You're not trying to incite more division, are you, MNL?

Well, there is at least a grain of truth in what I said, but I'll happily admit I exaggerated things for dramatic effect. One thing's for sure though, it really was not intended to incite more division.

So, so sorry, MNL, I forgot to add the winking smiley face I meant to add in a reponse I literally keyed 10 seconds before turning off my computer, being it was the end of the day on Friday and all...really! With a handle like your's, how could you think any less of Pierce? To old Rog, the Brozzer was the 2nd coming, 2 peas in a pod, etc. etc. :))
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    So, so sorry, MNL, I forgot to add the winking smiley face I meant to add in a reponse I literally keyed 10 seconds before turning off my computer, being it was the end of the day on Friday and all...really! With a handle like your's, how could you think any less of Pierce? To old Rog, the Brozzer was the 2nd coming, 2 peas in a pod, etc. etc. :))

No problem, superado. I am far from displeased that you forgot the winking smiley face, I forget it permanently. As for Pierce Brosnan being the second coming to old Rog? :D Well, I'm not sure Brosnan or his fans would appreciate that very much. I do like Brosnan as Bond, he's often referred to as the good all rounder and I think that's a fair assessment.