Ebert reviews NSNA

LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
Never Say Never Again seems to fall on the "universally disliked" list of Bond films around here. I haven't seen it in about 20 years, so I can't really give my own opinion. I dug up an old Roger Ebert review of it and was impressed by the sentimentality. It's clear that at one point or another Ebert was a big fan of Connery's Bond. Anyway, here it is:

"Ah, yes, James, it is good to have you back again. It is good to see the way you smile from under lowered eyebrows, and the way you bark commands in a sudden emergency, and it is good to see the way you look at women. Other secret agents may undress women with their eyes. You are more gallant. You undress them, and then thoughtfully dress them again. You are a rogue with the instincts of a gentleman.

It has been 12 years since Sean Connery hung it up as James Bond, 12 years since "Diamonds Are Forever," and Connery's announcement that he would "never again" play special agent 007. What complex instincts caused him to have one more fling at the role, I cannot guess. Perhaps it was one morning in front of the mirror, as he pulled in his gut and reflected that he was in pretty damn fine shape for 53. And then, with a bow in the direction of his friend Roger Moore, who has made his own niche as a different kind of Bond, Sean Connery went back on assignment again.

The movie is called "Never Say Never Again." The title has nothing to do with the movie -- except why Connery made it -- but never mind, nothing in this movie has much to do with anything else. It's another one of those Bond plots in which the basic ingredients are thrown together more or less in fancy.

We begin with a threat (SPECTRE has stolen two nuclear missiles and is holding the world at ransom). We continue with Bond, his newest gadgets, his mission briefing. We meet the beautiful women who will figure in the plot (Barbara Carrera as terrorist Fatima Blush, Kim Basinger as the innocent mistress of the evil Largo). We meet the villains (Max von Sydow as Blofeld, Klaus Maria Brandauer as Largo). We visit exotic locations, we survive near misses, and Bond spars with the evil woman and redeems the good one. All basic.

What makes "Never Say Never Again" more fun than most of the Bonds is more complex than that. For one thing, there's more of a human element in the movie, and it comes from Klaus Maria Brandauer, as Largo. Brandauer is a wonderful actor, and he chooses not to play the villain as a cliché. Instead, he brings a certain poignancy and charm to Largo, and since Connery always has been a particularly human James Bond, the emotional stakes are more convincing this time.

Sean Connery says he'll never make another James Bond movie, and maybe I believe him. But the fact that he made this one, so many years later, is one of those small show-business miracles that never happen. There was never a Beatles reunion. Bob Dylan and Joan Baez don't appear on the same stage anymore. But here, by God, is Sean Connery as Sir James Bond. Good work, 007."

For those who care about such things, here is the link: Never Say Never Again

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    I think I agree with everything he said.

Sorry, everyone...I like this film---one hell of a lot more than what Eon was doing at the time.

If I had to pick my geezer Bond, and my silly Bond...guess whom I'd pick B-)

:007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    I like it too, Loeff (we agree!!!) but Moore was way more (haha) fun to watch in OP than Connery in NSNA. I actually kind of disliked Bond for some reason in NSNA... perhaps because he was in such poor shape to a degree and while Moore may have been aged in AVTAK, he looked way better there than Connery did here. Plus, with Moore you can't help but like the guy, while Connery is known to be a bit of a jerk.

If I'm to pick between the Bond's, Moore is the one moore likely to win.
    edited March 2007
    Well...we agree...and we disagree. At least Connery's full torso was actually filmed, sans shirt, at the ripe old age of 53...may I look so good in another eight years...

I've sworn off discussing the other fellow---due to the tender sensitivities of some of his most ardent admirers---but you are more than welcome to your preference {[]
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    I've sworn off discussing the other fellow---due to the tender sensitivities of some of his most ardent admirers

*pauses to clean off beverage sprayed on front of monitor*
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    Sorry, everyone...I like this film---one hell of a lot more than what Eon was doing at the time.

My dear Loeffelholz, did you learn nothing from our summit meeting? :D
    At least Connery's full torso was actually filmed, sans shirt, at the ripe old age of 53...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Roger showed considerable skin in bed with May Day in AVTAK. At the age of 57, mind you. :p
    I've sworn off discussing the other fellow---due to the tender sensitivities of some of his most ardent admirers---

Take your best shot Loeffs. 1983 is a monumental year for us Moor(e)s. Roger Moore became what many seemed impossible: an equal or better James Bond than Sean Connery. OP crushed NSNA at the box office, and rightly so! {[]

Don't get me wrong, NSNA did have some great dialogue:

"How reckless of me, I've made you all wet!"
    "Yes, but my martini is still dry."

"Oh you're Mr. Bond. I believe I'm having you in half an hour."
    "Oh splendid, your room or mine?"

Barbara Carrera is also a highlight, portraying the sexy, yet lethal Fatima Blush.

I also love the scene in which Bond, supposed to be on a strict, healthy diet, opens a suitcase containing quail eggs, caviar, vodka, etc. :))

Didn't really need to see Bond's urine though, let alone used as a weapon, but at least it wasn't contained in a bag at Bond's side. :))

Bottom line: NSNA fails for me in that it too closely resembles Eon's TB, a far superior film IMO.

Long live OP and Roger Moore, James Bond champion of '83! {[]
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Roger Moore became what many seemed impossible: an equal or better James Bond than Sean Connery. OP crushed NSNA at the box office, and rightly so!

I don't think it's fair to say that NSNA was crushed-- the two movies were only about 20 million or so apart in terms of their worldwide gross, and Moore at that point had the benefit of a more recent, familiar audience (as well as all the trademark elements of the Bond series). If you want to talk box office, TB to this day absolutely swamps every other film in the Bond franchise in terms of ticket sales (with inflation factored in of course).
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    I don't love NSNA, but nor do I hate it. I think it has some good things going for it (Connery, Barbara Carrera, some good dialogue that Tee Hee already mentioned and a really good plot.) I think it's a fun film. But I think it has alot of problems: Connery, as awesome he is, was far too old. He wasn't bad (I don't think he was ever bad), but in no way did he look like 007. Additionally, the plot was taken from TB which IMO is the third greatest Bond film of all time and is an absolute masterpiece. Like AVTAK with GF, the problem with NSNA remaking a masterpiece is that I am reminded of just how awesome TB is in comparison to NSNA.

Finally, there's OP. OP is IMO among the most underrated Bond films of all time, was IMO the second best Bond film of the 80's (behind FYEO) and is a Bond film that I am extremely fond of. I consider Moore to have been amazing in OP and so, I think that it was a pity that NSNA was released in the same year as a Bond film that I quite love. It would have been a different story if it had been released in 1985, 1987 or 1989. ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,726MI6 Agent
    Dan Same wrote:
    Additionally, the plot was taken from TB which IMO is the third greatest Bond film of all time and is an absolute masterpiece. Like AVTAK with GF, the problem with NSNA remaking a masterpiece is that I am reminded of just how awesome TB is in comparison to NSNA.

I'd say the plot of NSNA is an improvement on Thunderball, though- it makes a lot more sense: especially the Domino/Jack link.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Lazenby wrote:
    What makes "Never Say Never Again" more fun than most of the Bonds is more complex than that. For one thing, there's more of a human element in the movie, and it comes from Klaus Maria Brandauer, as Largo. Brandauer is a wonderful actor, and he chooses not to play the villain as a cliché. Instead, he brings a certain poignancy and charm to Largo,

I agree. Brandauer is wonderful. I especially like the scene when Basinger tells him he's crazy, and he thinks for a moment then agrees that he is.
  • Harry PalmerHarry Palmer Somewhere in the past ...Posts: 325MI6 Agent
    Yes, Brandauer is truly a great villain. But what I liked most about the movie is that it did not try to ignore the evidence of Bond's age (as Eon would do in the Moore films of the same period). It wrote Connery's age into the script and had a couple of laughs at the fact that Connery could still look great (and credible as a seductive secret agent) despite the advancing years.

I also love certain scenes in the movie, such as the cigarette holder used as a fake bomb, and the destructive fight at the SPA....

On the negative side I could have done without the videogame replacing baccarat.
    1. Cr, 2. Ltk, 3. Tld, 4. Qs, 5. Ohmss, 6. Twine, 7. Tnd, 8. Tswlm, 9. Frwl, 10. Tb, 11. Ge, 12. Gf, 13. Dn, 14. Mr, 15. Op, 16. Yolt, 17. Sf, 18. Daf, 19. Avtak, 20. Sp, 21. Fyeo, 22. Dad, 23. Lald, 24. Tmwtgg
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,391Chief of Staff
    I saw NSNA at the cinema in 83, and remember the feelings of excitement and anticipation. OP had been great, but this one had Sean Connery back as Bond. Sure, it was a remake of TB but that was only a technicality. The press were having a field day, of course.

I also remember the feelings of disappointment and dissatisfaction after seeing it. It's a poorly made film which doesn't reflect its large budget and relies on its star for its entire appeal. Some of the individual elements work, some of the dialogue has the right touch, and some of the cast are memorable. And the score stinks (you'd expect me to say that last bit, so it's in X-().
  • SteedSteed Posts: 134MI6 Agent
    Yes, even though Thunderball isn't a fave Bond film of mine (I find too long and too bloated), this 'remake' is simply not a patch on it. It does look cheap compared to pretty much every other Bond film, and I agree the score is not good- very 80s (especially the theme tune). Octopussy simply trounces this in every way, imho.
    edited March 2007
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Roger showed considerable skin in bed with May Day in AVTAK. At the age of 57, mind you. :p

I'll have to take another look to confirm...but methinks you'll find that the actor in question was demurely shot from his bare shoulders up...the rest (mercifully) hidden from view by bed linen, etc.

EDIT: Just checked the DVD; shoulders and up. I think the last time we saw him shirtless might've been TMWTGG (wearing the infamous fake 3rd nipple). If I'm wrong, and we got a peek in SWLM, so be it...but I maintain the opinion that one of them went shirtless with far more confidence than the other.
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Steed wrote:
    Yes, even though Thunderball isn't a fave Bond film of mine (I find too long and too bloated), this 'remake' is simply not a patch on it. It does look cheap compared to pretty much every other Bond film, and I agree the score is not good- very 80s (especially the theme tune). Octopussy simply trounces this in every way, imho.

The voice of reason.

Not only do TB & OP trounce NSNA in every way, so do all the other Bond films. NSNA is an appalling piece of work that even Connery in his prime could not save.
    edited March 2007
    Steed wrote:

Ah well. C'est la guerre...

Just as the burgeoning 'CR Sucks' contingent is unaffected by its minority status, thus do I remain undaunted in my lonely affection for NSNA...
    EDIT: Just checked the DVD; shoulders and up. I think the last time we saw him shirtless might've been TMWTGG (wearing the infamous fake 3rd nipple). If I'm wrong, and we got a peek in SWLM, so be it...but I maintain the opinion that one of them went shirtless with far more confidence than the other.

Yes- little peek of Roger's man-tits in TSWLM as he prepares to do it 'for England' :)

Honestly, the things we'll talk about on the internet... ;)
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    I've always enjoyed NSNA. Non participation from EON does not, as opinion might suggest, carry any speck of significance to a worthy interpretation of the James Bond character. The more the merrier I say.

Of course Connery is very fit here. More so then in DAF. Interesting that the layover from 007 to Murder On The Orient Express he seems to have relaxed and let go a bit. By Zardoz time he was again in good physical shape.

This is an enjoyable caper, but the leg warmer decade is a far cry from the golden age. Thunderball is easily the superior.
    edited March 2007
    emtiem wrote:
    Yes- little peek of Roger's man-tits in TSWLM as he prepares to do it 'for England' :)

Honestly, the things we'll talk about on the internet... ;)

Quite so; I blame JFF for drawing me into a debate over Best Geezer, circa 1983.

No contest, IMO, but I find other views nothing short of fascinating.
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    I've always enjoyed NSNA. Non participation from EON does not, as opinion might suggest, carry any speck of significance to a worthy interpretation of the James Bond character. The more the merrier I say.

Of course Connery is very fit here. More so then in DAF. Interesting that the layover from 007 to Murder On The Orient Express he seems to have relaxed and let go a bit. By Zardoz time he was again in good physical shape.

This is an enjoyable caper, but the leg warmer decade is a far cry from the golden age. Thunderball is easily the superior.
    Agreed. I enjoy this film for what it is. A remake of Thunderball and Connery is back. His best Bond performance since....well since Thunderball. To me an easily superior film to OP in every aspect except for the sound track. Highlights - Connery, PTS, fight at the health club, Connery, classic one-liners, Largo, Fatima, Domino, Q 'Algy' Algernon "Good to see you Mr. Bond. Things've been awfully dull 'round here. I hope we're going to see some gratuitous sex and violence in this one!", shark sequence, Connery, the scene with the bouncer and the fake bomb, motorcycle chase, hell we even got a good actor to portray Blofeld. The only thing I didn't like was the underwater sequence is still boring (only this time it is not saved by some of the best music in the series like the original) and I didn't care for Rowan Atkinson as Nigel Small-Fawcett. #11 on my list.
    classic one-liners

It's kind of interesting that humour is often cited as one of Roger Moore's great strengths when it's really undeniable that, in terms of deadpan wit and one-liners (among other things of course), Sir Sean Connery puts everyone else to shame. I still chuckle at many of Connery's lines after all these years ("You're a woman of many parts Pussy" is a favorite) whereas many if not most of Moore's have not dated well at all.
    edited March 2007
    Tee Hee wrote:
    I've sworn off discussing the other fellow---due to the tender sensitivities of some of his most ardent admirers---

Take your best shot Loeffs.

Alas, I cannot...there's no fun in it anymore; too many many recriminations and hurt feelings---particularly if I wield a dreaded smiley in driving my point home :'( *

Too many fans hold him closely to their bosom. I've seen the error of my ways...especially as the old gent in question no longer poses a direct threat to the franchise. To me, he's now simply swell, and his swellness has only improved with age---much like his increasingly unphotographed torso, I'm sure...

Personally, I like all (any) of the five other Bond actors better---but that's only me.

* Smiley used only as an example, to demonstrate its awesome power in driving said point home.
    Lazenby wrote:
    classic one-liners

It's kind of interesting that humour is often cited as one of Roger Moore's great strengths when it's really undeniable that, in terms of deadpan wit and one-liners (among other things of course), Sir Sean Connery puts everyone else to shame. I still chuckle at many of Connery's lines after all these years ("You're a woman of many parts Pussy" is a favorite) whereas many if not most of Moore's have not dated well at all.

It's a fair point- I do love ROger and think he did a great job, but he never quite managed anything as subtle as that little look Sean does when he's bet the gold in the golf match in Goldfinger, for example. Just different ways of playing it, but I'd agree Sean was fantastic with the funny bits.
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Is this thread supposed to be an ode to Sean Connery?

response deleted
    not worth the effort
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited March 2007
    emtiem wrote:
    Lazenby wrote:
    classic one-liners
    It's a fair point- I do love ROger and think he did a great job, but he never quite managed anything as subtle as that little look Sean does when he's bet the gold in the golf match in Goldfinger, for example. Just different ways of playing it, but I'd agree Sean was fantastic with the funny bits.
    I too love Roger, and I consider him to be second among all Bonds when it came to delivering one-liners. First, and by a long way, was of course Connery. I love not just his one-liners, but that the way he said them was so delightful that I simply never get bored watching him. His facial expressions as well as vocal expressions are simply phenomenal. I have many favourite Connery one-liners, but for one of my absolute favourites, look no further than my Sig below. :D -{
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Fish1941 wrote:

In a James Bond Films forum?!? Say it aint so! ;%

NSNA itself was sort of a tribute to Connery...I can't wait to watch it again so I can actually weigh in with my opinion.
    Fish1941 wrote:

In a James Bond Films forum?!? Say it aint so! ;%

NSNA itself was sort of a tribute to Connery...I can't wait to watch it again so I can actually weigh in with my opinion.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:

Fish, have you never heard the phrase, "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all"?
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • Mr St John SmytheMr St John Smythe Posts: 60MI6 Agent
    Okay, so the review is cheesy and overly sentimental. But I like the movie. It was, and remains, the best Connery Bond since Thunderball, on which NSNA was based.

Thumbs up for:

Ming the Merciless as Blofeld
    The fight at the spa
    Klaus Maria Brandauer
    Barbara Carrera
    Timothy Dalton cameo
    Kashoggi's ship
    General scenery

Thumbs down for:

Mr. Bean
    Video games
    The big underwater fight scene between white hats and black hats looks kind of stupid (but it did on the original, also)

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Sorry to disappoint you MR SJS Part 2, but that wasn't actually Tim Dalton. But you can certainly pretend that it is. :D
    edited April 2007
    It's probably a fair cop as far as calling Ebert's review overly sentimental---but then, nostalgia and sentiment go hand in hand with fandom...and Roger Ebert is a Bond fan, I think, despite having been corrupted by decades of professional film criticism.