Thunderball: Am I the only one?

2»

Comments

• LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    TB commits the worst crime of a Bond film; it bores me.

To be fair, once upon a time I would have agreed with you (somewhat). I agree that the pace of TB isn't as brisk as it is with GF, and that the underwater sequences tend to bog it down a little (in all honesty the only one I have trouble with sometimes is the hijacking of the Vulcan), however lately I have found myself entirely overlooking this, perhaps as I sit in awe of the halo of Connery's coolness, Domino's hotness, and all those other things that have already been mentioned.

Another thing I like about this movie is that it is perhaps the sexiest film in the whole franchise.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Lazenby wrote:
    Another thing I like about this movie is that it is perhaps the sexiest film in the whole franchise.

That's perhaps the most nail-on-head comment yet: TB hit the market with just the right product at just the right time, especially the sexier stuff. Who cares Auger made Bach look like an Oscar-winner, the swimsuited Domino Effect back in the mid-60s can't be overstated IMO. And JSW is right, Paluzzi has yet to be topped (rimshot) as a Bond vamp, probably never will be.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Lazenby wrote:

The Bond/Fiona bed scene is the most erotic in the series, without a doubt; second is Patricia Fearing's naked body against the glass. TB certainly has a fantastic sexual energy coursing through it. But with so much in this film, it is in fits and starts; Paula is completely wasted, for example, and though Claudine Auger is utterly beautiful, she is hamstrung by being dubbed.
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Happily, I've never been bored by a Bond film---but then there are worse things than boredom, embarrassment being paramount among them...and vicarious embarrassment can be particularly unsettling. There have been moments, over the years, when I've been embarrassed on behalf of the filmmakers.

Thankfully, TB has none of those...at least, not for me.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • LazenbyLazenby The upper reaches of the AmazoPosts: 606MI6 Agent
    There have been moments...when I've been embarrassed on behalf of the filmmakers.

*cough* *cough* Die Another Day *cough* *cough*
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Among others ;)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    Among others ;)

Exactly; at least with the double taking pigeon, for example, they were trying to keep us entertained. A lot of Tb feels like it was what they did in between having champagne on the beach...
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    TB commits the worst crime of a Bond film; it bores me. If I wanted to be bored by films I'd go see something with subtitles and at least feel intellectually superior.

I can think of many other crimes in the the Bond series, far more serious than anything Thunderball is accused of commiting. But it would be redundant ot start naming them again. At least TB doesn't insult your intelligence, with or without subtitles. Maybe the realism and its intent of showing you every step of the caper is not to your liking, but I enjoyed it. I was never bored with any part of the movie. It was executed so realistically that it hooked me. If I were to name my least favorite part of the entire movie, it would be the jetpack sequence. Everything leading up to it was great, but when Bond puts the helmet on, it just gets silly. Fortunately the silliness is over quickly.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    On thing Ive often found is that the under water sequences bore alot of people, and I'm one of them. I think it had some good locations, music, girls, action scenes ect. However I believe that if you dislike the endless water logged scenes than you wont like the movie.
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:
    Lazenby880 wrote:
    And Claudine Auger in that brown and white bikini is enough to make a dog break his lead. :x
    :)) :)) Can I use that as my next sig?
    Be my guest Alex. ;)

Evidently I agree 100 per cent with the other Lazenby; Thunderball is the sexiest film of the series. Domino *and* Fiona. Woof. :D
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Thunderball has so many charms. Claudine Auger is beautiful. Luciana Paluzzi is amazing (forty years on, there is still no greater Bond vamp). The Bahamas are ravishing. There are wonderful set pieces, photography, lines.

BUT...

It's all so lethargic. This is one of the few Bond films where, from the very start, there is a deadline. Blofeld says a time and place where his demands must be met. One would expect that to give the film a certain urgency. It doesn't. The deadline is barely mentioned again.

Instead we are treated to what seem like hours of people in flippers hanging around under rocks. It just goes on forever. Perhaps, in 1965, the sight of a man in a wetsuit was genuinely innovative and exciting. From my perspective in 2007 (or even in 1989, when I saw it for the first time), it's just tedious. You reach a point where your heart sinks because you realise, yes, someone's going to pull on a diving mask for the next five minutes. Thunderball remains the only Bond film which I have fast forwarded on video. (Bond being trapped in the underwater cave - ok, in fairness, it was one of those odd versions of the film that had no music over the sequence, but really, it just went on forever). I do feel a bit guilty about it, I admit, but I was young. Life was passing me by.

After the wonderful, energetic Goldfinger, and before the truly, collosally over the top You Only Live Twice, Thunderball just feels... blah. It just trots along.

TB commits the worst crime of a Bond film; it bores me. If I wanted to be bored by films I'd go see something with subtitles and at least feel intellectually superior.

Jetset, did I ever mention you were my favorite moderator? ;)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,278MI6 Agent
    RJJB wrote:
    If I were to name my least favorite part of the entire movie, it would be the jetpack sequence. Everything leading up to it was great, but when Bond puts the helmet on, it just gets silly. Fortunately the silliness is over quickly.

Yes, well that wasn't intentional. However, the stunt man refused to do it without a helmet, so they had to redo this insert, which shows.

I saw TB on the big screen last year, you can find my thoughs here:

www.ajb007.co.uk/index.php?topic=26409
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent

That was humorous and a fun read. I do agree that DN is a "great film with a good vibe". You need to get cracking on a favorites list, NP.
  • RJJBRJJB United StatesPosts: 346MI6 Agent
    RJJB wrote:
    If I were to name my least favorite part of the entire movie, it would be the jetpack sequence. Everything leading up to it was great, but when Bond puts the helmet on, it just gets silly. Fortunately the silliness is over quickly.

Yes, well that wasn't intentional. However, the stunt man refused to do it without a helmet, so they had to redo this insert, which shows.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I have not problem with the helmet. It makes sense to wear one, just as it makes sense to wear a helmet when riding a bike or motorcycle. I just dislike the use of the jetpack as a gadget that is far too much over the top for the seriousness that Bond still possessed. It was far too hokey for the tone of the whole movie. Just a gadget for the sake of a gadget. And it turns Bond into a too much of a super-agent. As I said, fortunately, the rest of the movie didn't follow the same tone.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,278MI6 Agent
    Alex wrote:

That was humorous and a fun read. I do agree that DN is a "great film with a good vibe". You need to get cracking on a favorites list, NP.

Cheers Alex. I did try it, but it didn't take, something wrong with the machine. Will try again, but that said, they do change. I can quite enjoy TB on the small screen, ditto DAF which seemed rubbish on the big screen. ?:)
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017