My brother's movie

LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
edited April 2007 in Off Topic Chat
I just got this link from my sister-in-law...

Last fall, my brother, Michael Loeffelholz, got the lead role in a short film called "Penguin Blues." They shot it in L.A. in January.

It's based on a stage play written by Ethan Phillips (who will be known to Trekkies as 'Neelix' on Star Trek: Voyager)...it was basically an autobiographical piece about his experiences in rehab for alcoholism---where he met a Catholic nun 'serving time' for the same affliction---as well as his issues as a former Catholic: abuse suffered at the hands of a nun in his childhood.

Long story short: Phillips is a friend of my brother (they did a play together), and he recommended Mike for the role. The film is still being edited, but will eventually do the festival circuit (Sundance, Tribeca, etc) and will hopefully be the break he needs.

http://www.filmmomentum.com/pb.htm

The trailer runs about 80 seconds, but took a while to load with my dial-up connection. Those of you with 21st Century technology will no doubt fare better ;) If flash doesn't work for you, there's a link underneath the 'screen' for Windows Media.

Thanks for taking a look!
Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
"I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
"Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM

Comments

• Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Wow, there definitely is a resemblance between you and your brother. I take it he is younger than you. Or perhaps he has just aged better. ;)

I wish him the best of luck. {[]

Now only if we could get your screenwriting talents noticed... :D
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    Tee Hee wrote:
    Wow, there definitely is a resemblance between you and your brother. I take it he is younger than you. Or perhaps he has just aged better. ;)

I wish him the best of luck. {[]

Now only if we could get your screenwriting talents noticed... :D

Thanks, TH!

Yeah, he's 8 1/2 years younger than me...we like to tell people we're twins separated by nine years :))

As for the screenwriting...yeah, that's all part of the plan...once he gets a foot in the door, our own production company will get going---every script I've written has been with him in mind. My current project visualizes him in the lead as a Police Chief in a small midwestern town...

He's justifiably excited about 'Penguin Blues,' as well as his association with Momentum Films. Ethan Phillips has a cameo somewhere.
  • RogueAgentRogueAgent Speeding in the Tumbler...Posts: 3,676MI6 Agent
    Talent already follows those with the name "Michael" to begin with. :D

I wish all the best to your younger sibling, Loeff. {[]

Now start working on your Oscar speech, man. ;)
    Mrs. Man Face: "You wouldn't hit a lady? Would you?"

Batman: "The Hammer Of Justice is UNISEX!"
    -Batman: The Brave & The Bold -
    edited April 2007
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I wish all the best to your younger sibling, Loeff. {[]

Thanks, Rogue. I'm a proud big brother ;%

I took him to see the original 'Star Wars' in 1977---when he was six years old. He left the theatre totally entranced by Harrison Ford's Han Solo character...

I'll never forget---it's as vivid as if it happened yesterday---Mike looked at me as we walked home from the theatre and said, "I wanna be an actor" B-)

He's done it, too...he's been on stage at the Steppenwolf theatre in Chicago, the Geffen theatre in L.A....he's done a cell phone spot with Joan Cusack, paid for a year of auditioning with a Home Depot commercial---and can still occasionally be seen in an Arbor Mist wine commercial he shot two years ago :))

He got a guest starring gig in 'Daybreak' last year...but they yanked the show before his episode aired :# It's viewable on line, I think: Episode #10.

He's worked his ass off in a very tough field...I'm praying it will pay off for him...
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    He's worked his ass off in a very tough field...I'm praying it will pay off for him...

Fingers crossed it will Loeffs.

It looks promising. Best of luck to him {[]
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Loeff, I don't know what you look like, but I have to say your brother brings Ethan Phillips to mind. No coincidence, no doubt! (By the way, I remember EP all the way back to Benson, so Neelix isn't the first to come to mind when I hear his name.) Congrats to your brother, and tell 'im the Hardyboy is looking out for the movie!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited April 2007
    Thanks Rose and Hardy! :)

In her e-mail, my sister-in-law said, "Mike would kill me if he knew I sent this to you before he's seen it. Guess he's have to learn to use email if he can't trust his secretary" :))

Wait until I call him tonight...and tell him he's been seen in the U.K.! :D
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Wait until I call him tonight...and tell him he's been seen in the U.K.! :D

Gotta love the internet :D
    edited April 2007
    Mike has asked me to thank everyone who's taken the time to look at his trailer, and for the well-wishes {[] I assured him I would...

He's just found out he has re-shoots in May---including the climactic 'breakdown' scene (where he cries a lot, etc). He's sick about it because he feels he 'nailed it,' but the director has told him that there were some camera issues :# This is the same type of digital-video camera Lucas used for the last couple of Star Wars flicks (minus the crazy-expensive extra lenses!).

Now comes the continuity paranoia---haircut still right? Any weight gain/loss? When they shot that scene it was 38 degrees Fahrenheit (near record-breaking cold for Southern California) on a rooftop---at night. Now it will be relatively balmy...

The joys of indie filmmaking :)