For Your Eyes Only OST

JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
i didn't find any post, so please forgive me or redirect me, but here it goes:

Finally i could listen to the entire CD, the only one that i haven't heard, and here are my impressions, please discuss them:

Some tracks feel more like an action Hawk score (or Charlie's Angels) i mean, like, "a drive in the country" it sounds too much like a disco track, and i know that i'm too young to remember that that was the "fuzz " back then, and the Bond themes reflects the era, but i must be honest... it goes deep.

Other track is the gunbarrel itself, the first seconds are pure bond (probably every gunbarrel is it except two or three) but after it goes to synthetic, 70's synthetic.

So, i'm nobody in the music industries to say this, but i feel sort of disappointed, i didn't like it, it isn't growing on me. but is my humble opinion...

Do you have a favourite track, do you have a recommendation to hear...

thanks

Comments

• JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    ALL OF THEM!

My favorite though, is Runaway, that's a beautiful piece. Submarine is pretty good too. So is St. Cyril's Monastery. I better stop myself because I'm going to end up rattling off the whole album.

It's in my top 3... and I like the 80s/Disco elements in it! (I also like Serra... I guess I have a thing for Bond scores that go against the norm).
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    YATADE!!!!!!

JJF Answer one of my posts... i must be dreaming.

but if someone must do it about FYEO it was you... (i could put a trap or something...)

I right with you in the Serra soundtrack, i like it, i like it a lot.

Thanks for the suggestion, i like some tracks, like, those you say (specially St cyril monastery) but again, too disco for me... i mean, perhaps looking again the film i can associate the music with Bond...

perhaps i'll just do that.

any other comments?
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    I have always liked Bill Conti's score for FYEO. I like the disco style of the music. My favourite tracks are 'Gonzales takes a Dive', 'Runway', 'St cyrils Monastery' and 'A Drive in the Country'.

As you can probably tell from this list, my favourite are the ones with the most disco.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,392Chief of Staff
    Here's my thoughts:

1. Main Title- For Your Eyes Only (3:07) Vocal by Sheena Easton. John Barry was unavailable to work on the twelfth Bond movie, and suggested American Bill Conti (Rocky) should take the assignment. For the title song, Conti composed an outstanding melody, with lyrics by Michael Leeson, which was to be sung by relative newcomer Sheena Easton, at that time riding high in the charts. A dispute with title designer Maurice Binder (who liked to have the film’s title appearing at the same point as it’s said in the song) led to some rewriting before the final version was agreed. An international success aided by Easton’s appearance during the film’s credits, it reached number 8 in the UK and number 4 in the US.

2. A Drive In The Country (2:25) A lively piece with some quotes from the Bond Theme underscores Bond and Melina’s 2CV escape.

3. Take Me Home (2:32) Soft and romantic strings back a pleasant flugelhorn melody. Used as Bibi Dahl’s theme.

4. Melina's Revenge (2:18) Greek-styled strings lead to wailing guitar and insistent drums plus variations on the Bond Theme.

5. Gonzales Takes A Dive (3:14) A very Spanish style opening, castanets and all, segues to tense chase music with prominent guitar.

6. St. Cyril's Monastery (4:40) A faux-Greek bazouki theme develops into suspenseful strings and woodwinds then variations on the Bond Theme.

7. Make It Last All Night (3:31) Vocal by "Rage"(B. Conti - S. Conti - C. West) A very 80s sounding number with female vocals.

8. Runaway (3:54) Perhaps the most typically Conti moment of the score. Brass and synths play a driving melody over a disco-type beat.

9. Submarine (2:39) Mid-tempo strings lead into a funky Bond Theme with powerful brass.

10. For Your Eyes Only (1:35) A pleasant albeit short instrumental of the title song, led by flugelhorn and guitar.

11. Cortina (1:45) Sumptuous strings lead to variations on the title phrase.

12. The PM Gets The Bird/For Your Eyes Only -Reprise (5:05) Vocal by Sheena Easton “Comedy” music introduces a reprise of the main title song.This was the last track on the original album. All subsequent tracks were originally released on the Rykodisc version from 2000 and later on the 2003 remaster.

13. Gunbarrel/Flowers For Teresa/Sinking The St. Georges (2:54) The music for the PTS and first scene of the film proper. Conti produces an exciting gunbarrel theme then keeps things ticking over with percussion and bells before the orchestra winds itself up for the tense climax followed by battling xylophones.

14. Unfinished Business/Bond Meets Kristatos (1:53) Dark quotes from the title theme lead to a short pleasant piano led melody before the orchestra performs a brisk military fanfare.

15. Ski....Shoot....Jump.... (5:16) This track opens with tense phrases from the orchestra soon joined by a snare drum, angular piano lines and dashes of timpani and bells. Unmelodic though atmospheric.

16. Goodbye, Countess/No Head For Heights/Dining Alone (3:20) Variations on the Bond Theme underscore Lisl’s death/High strings and electronic effects do the same for Locque/Quiet and moody chords from the strings.

17. Recovering The ATAC (2:28) A loud orchestral opening leads to piano and strings playing an underwater effect, building in intensity throughout.

18. Sub Vs. Sub (3:16) The strings dance up and down, with the snare drum joining them about halfway through.

19. Run Them Down/The Climb (2:58) Abrupt and brassy action music followed by tense strings, with some quotes from the Bond Theme.

Total: Fifty eight minutes and fifty seconds
  • JohmssJohmss Posts: 274MI6 Agent
    I've just found (and heard) the song that allegedly Blondie wanted to use as the main theme. it sounds WAY TOO Blondie, but it gives munch more life that the Easton theme,,, if this is romantic, Blondie y pure an mere rock.
    Of course, if this was the theme, the soundtrack would have to change totally. the deal is.. i like it more. perhaps for not being sooo disco

Barbel, thanks for the tips, except you didn't tell us which one is your favourite.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,392Chief of Staff
    Johmss wrote:
    Barbel, thanks for the tips, except you didn't tell us which one is your favourite.

Sure: "Submarine".
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    A bit against the spirit of this thread, but are there any links which have FYEO with John Barry music instead?

The DVD could do with a For Your Spies Only remix methinks, like Never Say McClory Again. imo
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017