Halle Berry on Jinx

JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
Today on 'The View' (or as I call it 'Watch Elisabeth The Entire Time' who I must say was sporting quite a nice top that showed off her... well, you know ;)) Halle Berry was on! She came in to talk about her role in 'Perfect Stranger' and whatnot and how she likes to play female characters that are more "real and faced with real problems as those are the more relatable characters and how they have something to overcome."

Barbara Walters moves on to ask "What about your character of Jinx in the James Bond movie?" Halle continues to say about how it's much more than Jinx and says: "People don't relate to Jinx, Who's Jinx? I don't know who she is either!" with a none-too-happy look on her face after saying the sentence!

Being one of the most hated Bond girls of the franchise, do you think that Halle didn't really enjoy portraying her? I know Rick Yune was begging the producers to let him be Col. Moon instead of Zao, but it seems like the cast of 'Die Another Day' didn't come out smiling. Thoughts?

(On a sad note, they put Halle between Rosie and Joy, and not next to Elisabeth, which is a shame because that would've been a sight to see. :D :x

Comments

• taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Dude, why are you watching the View - I seriously thought that you were a guy.

As for Halle Berry and her acting choices - the lady picked Catwoman, Jinx and her character in X men was the least developed out of any of the mutants. As modest and as much as she may look back and laugh at her failures she still continues to pick them.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Correction taity... 'The View' -- of Elisabeth Hasselbeck.

filarski_il.jpg
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    (On a sad note, they put Halle between Rosie and Joy...)
    That's like serving a filet mignon sandwich on a stale, moldy bun. :D
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    I always thought Halle Berry was thrilled to have been in a Bond movie and even was upset when the Jinx spinoff was cancelled. ?:)

Halle Berry is not the most hated Bond girl. She has certainly become a shoe-in for any "Top 10 Bond Girls" polls and surveys. 8-)

The Bond fan base may not have been too impressed, but she is still held in high regard by the general public. :)
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    edited April 2007
    Halle Berry is an interesting celebrity. Whenever I see her interviewed about roles she seems so modest about what she does. I have to hand it to her for also being so proud of Catwoman's ...success. Showing up at the Razzies would have taken guts.

I just wish she'd do more Monster's Ball rather than Catwomans.

Oh and JFF, I still question you for liking the view. But your views are funny mr "AVTAK is Bond gold, whereas CR is utter rubbish" 8-)
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    Being one of the most hated Bond girls of the franchise,
    C'mon, JFF. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but that's not a certainty. Everybody has their fans. If someone posted a negative discussion about one of yours, well, there might exist a chance for sourness.

I've actually heard good things about "Perfect Stranger". And I'd strongly recommend you watch the film where Berry played Dorothy Dandridge before completely dismissing her.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    And the fans who had castigated her performance really ****ed me off. They obviously couldn't appreciate a rather fun character, because she didn't adhere to their "image" of what a Bond girl should be.
    Yeh, I know, imagine that, people having a different opinion to you. :s
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Being one of the most hated Bond girls of the franchise, do you think that Halle didn't really enjoy portraying her?
    As someone who absolutely adores Halle, I have tried to erase Jinx from my memory. ;) Seriously, she has often said that she has no regrets. Nor should she IMO. I thought that Jinx was terrible but she (and the film) wasn't the biggest cinematic crime of all time IMO.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    Fish1941 wrote:
    So . . . you're the ultimate judgment on what is good acting and what is not?
    Are you?? You're attitude on here is getting VERY tiring, and I know I'm far from being the only one who thinks so.

People have opinions, Fish, deal with them without getting so angry and aggressive. You're sucking the light hearted debate and fun from every thread you post on.

Try smiling once in a while, it might help.
    unitedkingdom.png
    Alex, what I meant by one of the most hated Bond girls, I really meant that the character of Jinx was not very well-liked by the Bond fan base not the general public, and especially here, the character is commonly knocked about. I love Halle Berry in X-Men and other movies that I've seen her in, but her role as Jinx was not the best one ever, in fact, I think she's a very good actress and a smart, kind and attractive woman, and 'Perfect Stranger' looks like a great movie. I just really thought that playing Jinx was almost a step down for her, because the character wasn't well-written and the result wasn't the best.

I just thought it was very interesting how she responded to Barbara's question, because in a way she was trying to stop Graves, which I'm sure wasn't the easiest thing in the world to do. Perhaps upon reflection Halle didn't enjoy it as much? I don't know, I guess someone would have to outright ask her about it.
    And taity, I guess you're not as into Elisabeth Hasselbeck as I am... actually you're not into many things that I'm into like AVTAK and many other things.
    Truth be told, I hold considerable respect for your views on Thunderball, JFF. And realised you weren't completely mad when you admited that Stacy should have been downployed in AVTAK.

Anyway, back on topic - Halle Berry, ring a ding ding ;%
    taity wrote:
    Truth be told, I hold considerable respect for your views on Thunderball, JFF. And realised you weren't completely mad when you admited that Stacy should have been downployed in AVTAK.

Anyway, back on topic - Halle Berry, ring a ding ding ;%

What do you mean by a downployed Stacy? I do think the character could be greatly improved, but I think Roberts did well with her material.

So you like my views on TB? Are you anti-TB? I don't recall. Anyway, as Sir Hilary mentioned earlier, how putting Halle between those two would make for a very bad sandwich, putting Elisabeth and Halle together would make two very nice buns. ;%

And she looked amazing too. Both of them.
  • Gassy ManGassy Man USAPosts: 2,972MI6 Agent
    (On a sad note, they put Halle between Rosie and Joy...)
    That's like serving a filet mignon sandwich on a stale, moldy bun. :D
    :))

Halle Berry is better seen and not heard, and if she's seen, it's better to put her in erotic poses than show her doing challengimg actions such as running. Of course, in her defense, letting a couple of simpletons like P and W (I almost wrote P and U, which I think will be my new designation for them) give her such blaxploitation-esque drivel like "yo momma" to say doesn't help.
    Gassy Man wrote:
    Halle Berry is better seen and not heard, and if she's seen, it's better to put her in erotic poses than show her doing challengimg actions such as running. Of course, in her defense, letting a couple of simpletons like P and W (I almost wrote P and U, which I think will be my new designation for them) give her such blaxploitation-esque drivel like "yo momma" to say doesn't help.
    I think she is a very good actress (so I would want to see and listen to her) but I do agree that she was terrible in DAD.
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Dan? You're no different than I am. So cut the crap.
    I have no desire to argue with you about this other than to say that I am a heck of a lot different to you. 8-)
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I just finished watching DAD. You can believe that Halle Berry was bad in this movie all you want, but the more I see it, the more I cannot help but question your judgment on Berry's acting . . . let alone anyone else's. I can only come to the conclusion that you believe that she had no business being a leading lady in a Bond - for reasons other than her acting skill.

Fish, you can watch DAD as many times as you want and be so convinced that Halle Berry gave a terrific performance, but that doesn't mean we all have to bow down to your judgement. You have a constant, annoying habit of presenting your opinions as irrefutable. Not to mention you are unfairly playing the race card here. Can you be civil for once? ?:)
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
    Dan Same wrote:
    Fish1941 wrote:
    Dan? You're no different than I am. So cut the crap.
    I have no desire to argue with you about this other than to say that I am a heck of a lot different to you. 8-)

I wont comment on Dan's behaviour, but Fish - if you liken yourself to Dan, and disapprove of his actions - why continue?

As for when somebody disagrees - such as on a topic like Halle Berry's performance in DAD - they are as correct as what you are, there is no right or wrong.
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    What Taity and Tee Hee said.
    Fish1941 wrote:
    I just finished watching DAD. You can believe that Halle Berry was bad in this movie all you want, but the more I see it, the more I cannot help but question your judgment on Berry's acting . . . let alone anyone else's. I can only come to the conclusion that you believe that she had no business being a leading lady in a Bond - for reasons other than her acting skill.
    How exactly did you draw such a slanderous conclusion? From Dan and JFF, professing admiration for Berry, as an actress? Or was it from their disagreement with your personal assessment of Jinx, so that naturally equates racism and sexism.

To use your own phrase from another thread, is Berry's performance, is anybody's, "set in stone"?

Another mod already asked you to lighten up, consider this the second warning.
This discussion has been closed.