14 April 2002: Out with the Old, in with the New!

HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
It's the fifth anniversary of a crucial day in AJB history. On the fourteenth of April, Anno Domini 2002, the website Bond20.com closed shop and many of its members--including Willie Garvin, the apparently-on-sabbatical MBE_, and Yours-Never-So-Humbly--made the great migration to the newly renovated Absolutely James Bond. Here's to five great years, and here's hoping for many, many more!

{[]
Vox clamantis in deserto

Comments

• Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    To the establishment of my home away from home, bringing the greatest Bond minds together under one roof!

It's been a gas! {[]
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Your's truly joined four days later, on the 18th.

Man, I do remember them days, there were 20 odd members, and all were discussing some place I was unfamiliar with called Bond20.com

(Hardyboy was the man responsible for opening the literature forum, and I read Colonel Sun for the first time)

Good times! -{
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    And I joined the day before on the 17th ...

So 5 years huh? Older, greyer, poorer, but I'm not sure about wiser ;)
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    I feel new all of a sudden...
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Alex wrote:
    Hardyboy was the man responsible for opening the literature forum. . .

You give me waaaaay too much credit here, Alex! Back in the day there were a few of us asking for a lit forum (I wasn't even a mod then), and eventually SiCo started one. The forum didn't see a lot of activity--it would go days without a single post--and so I wrote a couple of long posts on the Live and Let Die and Moonraker novels (gone forever, alas) just to get people going to the lit forum and talking. . .but that had limited success.

To my mind, what really made the lit forum a stable and vibrant part of AJB was scaramanga1's starting the first fanfic novel, Never Say Dead. When it first appeared I thought it was so much clutter in our highbrow literature discussion, which shows what I know. The person to credit here, hands down, is scaramanga1! -{
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    I feel new, as well....oh well...I've been here 3.5ish years and I hope for many more! {[]

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,362Chief of Staff
    Two years and a bit after joining, I'm only sorry that I never came across the site earlier. Here's to many more! {[]
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    I joined this site in May 2005. I love this site, but a part of me wishes I had never discovered it as I have developed an addiction to it. :# Sico, why did you have to create a website that was so good? :))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    I joined AJB on 23rd December 2002. It was already pretty well established by then with a membership of 800/900.

From memory, the set up was not all that different from what it is now. One thing I do miss is the old Fun Forum. Lazenby's Bond film elimination game reminds me of it. A game that is simple, yet very popular and fun to be part of. The Trivia Forum is generally dull by comparison and barely ticks over.

It's been a real privilege for me to be a very small part of AJB these last four plus years. Whether I remain a very small part or not, I hope AJB continues to prosper for many many years to come. :)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    edited April 2007
    I'm one of the relative newbies, having joined on 1 July 2005...I started posting in earnest about a month later, when a certain discussion about potential 'next Bond' actors was beginning to build up quite a head of steam...

This truly is the most diverse and knowledgable group of James Bond afficionados/experts anywhere, IMRO---a vast, extended circle of friends. I'm very happy to be allowed to hang around and make the occasional meager contribution :(|) Life is good...

Salutations to all! {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I remember the day that I joined - the very day after I heard the song Die Another Day on the radio. Oh memories, I was just a troubled teen at high school, until I was bitten by a radioactive spider...oh wait, that wasnt me.

Anyway, congrats to all those oldies who were here from day one. {[]
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    I guess I'm relatively new as well! I joined on October 2nd, 2005 after finding a thread that compared Jinx and Natalya. I immediately started posting feverishly! I also found a thread entitled "Unintentionally Funny Moments in a Bond Film" and added much to it.

The first topic I started on my own though concerned May Day's accent, and when I saw the mockery that ensued about the film, it's when I went on my self-ordained quest... to DEFEND AVTAK! :D

One thing led to another and happily (or sadly to others) I am still here and proud of it. This truly is the best Bond forum around.
  • Golrush007Golrush007 South AfricaPosts: 3,421Quartermasters
    edited April 2007
    I joined quite a long time after 14 April 2002, but it has nonetheless been a very enjoyable experience. I remember at first being rather very discouraged as the first topic I created was promptly closed by one of the mods :D If i remember correctly it had something to do with the moneypenny character.

Still, over stumbling blocks like the one mentioned, i have found AJB a wonderful place to share in the love of Bond, and it was my introduction to both fan fiction and fan art - both hobbies which I now enjoy very much. Thanks to AJB! :007)
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    I'm just a year old on the site. Congratulations on your five-year anniversary
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    highhopes wrote:

It's not so much my anniversary: it's the anniversary of the day AJB became what it is! The site had been around before April '02, but SiCo had just put it on a new server and the old site was completely wiped out, down to the members list and the number of posts. The re-launch of AJB coincided with the collapse of Bond20 on 14 April, so old AJBers and old B20ers came to the new AJB, creating one happy, harmonious site!*

*OK, "happy and harmonious" may be a bit of a stretch, but I prefer to remember the good times over the bad. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    Hardyboy wrote:
    highhopes wrote:

It's not so much my anniversary: it's the anniversary of the day AJB became what it is! The site had been around before April '02, but SiCo had just put it on a new server and the old site was completely wiped out, down to the members list and the number of posts. The re-launch of AJB coincided with the collapse of Bond20 on 14 April, so old AJBers and old B20ers came to the new AJB, creating one happy, harmonious site!*

*OK, "happy and harmonious" may be a bit of a stretch, but I prefer to remember the good times over the bad. . .

I meant the royal "your," of course :)) By the way, it's a little known fact that "out with the old, in with the new" is what John Wilkes Booth actually shouted at Ford's Theater on April 14th, all that "sic semper tyrannis" nonsense notwithstanding
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    The re-launch of AJB coincided with the collapse of Bond20 on 14 April, so old AJBers and old B20ers came to the new AJB, creating one happy, harmonious site!*

Until JFF came to town. ;)
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    I just noticed today is Moonie's 5 year anniversary too. He's also one of the originals. He was one of my very first friends here, when I joined a few months later. His friendship, and several others are the reason I am happy to still be here 5 years later too.

Cheers everybody. :x
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    I joined nearly 5 years ago, I was researching a Bond piece for a magazine supplement to coincide with the release of Die Another Day.

Shame the movie sucked so much.

Strangely, this really is the best Bond site around, I mean mi6 is better for news and features, but without getting into a slanging match, the posts are often just one or two lines, and don't seem to dip down the list if not responded to.

Well done, all at ajb! {[]
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    Monique wrote:
    I just noticed today is Moonie's 5 year anniversary too. He's also one of the originals. He was one of my very first friends here, when I joined a few months later. His friendship, and several others are the reason I am happy to still be here 5 years later too.

Cheers everybody. :x
    Thanks Mo!! {[] I hadn't even noticed! 5 years...kinda scary where time goes..! :o Seems just like yesterday :) If it wasn't for Mo and a good few others, I'd probably have given up a long time ago! :))
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    Thanks Mo!! {[] I hadn't even noticed! 5 years...kinda scary where time goes..! :o Seems just like yesterday :) If it wasn't for Mo and a good few others, I'd probably have given up a long time ago! :))
    And an eventful five years it has been too Moonie. :) I echo Monique's thoughts and congratulate you on your 'wood' anniversary. On reflection, that is rather an unfortunate anniversary name. :D

I joined AJB on a bit of a whim during a particularly cold January in 2003. I was away for a while but did keep abreast of developments and I have to say that this is a great place to discuss that secret agent we all enjoy watching and reading about. There will always be disagreements and disputes, sometimes heated ones, but ultimately we are all here for the same reason: 007.

I have enjoyed my time here and I should think that others have too. A lot has changed in five years, in Bond generally as well as in this site, but the enthusiasm is still evident in bags. Cheers everyone, and here's to another five years. :)
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    I'm one of the slightly older members (and by old, I mean in terms of my account's age), and feel like I've seen the site go through a lot of changes since March 25th, 2003. My first post was the creation of the "Favourite Action Music" topic in the Music Forum. After that it's safe to say I was one of the more prolific members, as my AJB-addiction developed.

I'm not around much anymore, but I do pop by every few days to catch up. It pleases me to be able to say that, while AJB has changed a lot, it still has everything that made me glad to be a part of it in the first place. I think five years is a real achievement, and I hope it continues on for another five years at the very least.

{[] -{
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    In the short time I've been here, one thing stands out at AJB, more than any other Bond site I've found: the collective passion for Bond, in whatever guise he takes. Kudos to Simon and everybody for keeping this place going! {[]
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    Congratulations on your 5th {[], until checking, I hadn't realised that I've been here for half that time. Although not a great poster, I still come and look-see as often as possible.