The Belles Of Hell

Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
edited April 2007 in Off Topic Chat
No, I'm not using this thread to talk about the original title of Ian Fleming's On Her Majesty's Secret Service...

I'm using it to talk about tinnitus (a continuous ringing in the ears), which I have had a bout of lately.

"Why not let people visit the tinnitus website, NP?" I can hear people mutter. "We don't want to hear about your ailments!" :))

Well, true, but if you visit their site, you'll read about how there is no cure for it. Very depressing stuff and simply untrue. In some cases there is no cure. I'm posting this lest any of you lot get a bout of tinnitus... it may be of help.

There are many causes of tinnitus, so whether it stays or goes, it's hard to say for sure. I acquired mine after a gig with The Magic Numbers; my ears were ringing afterwards and it got worse, waking me up at 4am each morning. I put it down to the loud music, but I had also been a bit flu-ish of late. During the day I had an unquenchable thirst, felt lethargic when climbing a single flight of stairs (which I put down to waking up at 4am) I had also spent a few hours on my friend's laptop on my lap, a posture which I later realised might bring about tinnitus (I used a laptop recently and the condition returned with a vengeance).

If it is linked to flu-like symptoms it doesn't necessarily follow that when the flu goes, so will the ringing - I've read of one account where it didn't. But in the meantime I gave up all caffeine, cola drinks and even decaff coffee for the duration, as well as chocolate (it has caffeine) and hot drinks generally. A trip to the sauna to sweat it out in fact made it a lot worse. Generally it's caused (in some cases, not all) but an inflammation of the station tube from the ear down the jaw. A tenderness in the jaw therefore may be another symptom to look for.

A harder mattress alleviated it, too.

Anyway, in due course, and importantly, with a Lemsip Sinus capsule or an Ibruprofen, I wasn't waking up at 4am every morning. Even so, a fan left on in the room for a few hours (an electric fan, not JFF :o ) works well (especially if you can time it to switch off), or some mood music. Background noise distracts from it, though being inflammatory, it will get worse at night anyway.

My point is, the tinnitus in this case did fade and eventually disappear, returning recently thanks to some potent Nescafe coffee, stress, late nights, loud music, alchohol and hours on the PC (not all at once).

So if you have tinnitus and begin to despair, don't believe that you'll have it for life and that there's no cure, it may not be the case.

I realise this medical bulletin is a bit out of the way for ajb :D , and I don't expect this thread to stay top of the charts, but you guys can always do a find and search on this in future if needs. BTW, I do agree that ear plugs (from a chemist) are good for gigs or clubs anyway. Take them out and you'll hear the pummelling your ears get for hours on end...

That is all.
"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,360Chief of Staff
    Interesting post, NP. Tinnitus is often an unappreciated condition, not understood by many- a bit like migraine only less so. You seem to be doing all the right things; best of luck.
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    I gave up caffeine a while back and since then I've slept like a log and haven't had a single headache. It isn't difficult to wean yourself off.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    I've heard of that condition, NP. It's got to be quite a pain to live with, sort of like people who can't stop hiccupping for years on end.
    I hope it eventually goes away for you.

But I have to say I like the title of your thread for a Bond film
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    Well, it's not my title hh, that was Fleming's original mooted title before he changed it.

Probably puts one in mind of Austin Powers' nipple shooting nemeses, these days however.

Anyway, the tinnitus seems on the way out, thanks, and switches on and off now thanks to my own advice! Went to a gig at London's ICA last night, however, and made sure to wear ear plugs. Take them out and it's scary what you don't realise your ears are getting pummelled into.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017