BATTLE OF THE SUPER WATCHES!!!

IT IS THE BATTLE FOR THE ULTIMATE SEA WORTHY WATCH!!!!!
The Rolex Sea Dweller VS The Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean...

personally, I would go with the Planet Ocean, not just because I own one, or because Bond wore it, I just think that 5 grand is WAY to much for a watch. And 4,000 feet water resistancy is way to deep to scuba dive on a daily basis. It's like buying a Ferrari... If you can't drive that fast, what's the point?

If you are going to get a Planet Ocean, You should definatly go with the Stainless Steel band, because
1. DONT buy a water resistant watch with a leather band!!!
2. The rubber is not a classy look. If you get the Steel one, at least you can look fancy when you aren't in the water!

anyways, here is the link:
http://rolexreferencepage.com/SDPO/sd%20vs%20po.html

Comments

• avekevavekev UkPosts: 122MI6 Agent
    Interesting post. I have a Planet Ocean with the black rubber strap, but the nice guy in Selfridges (London) threw in the Stainless Steel bracelet as well! I think he really wanted the sale and it was the end of the month!
    But I love my Planet Ocean, I wear it all the time, to the dismay of my wife who thought I was totally mad to spend a good part of 2 grand on a watch because James Bond wears one! I don't know, these women never understand!
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    WaltherManiac, is it you, who wrote the Rolex-Omega comparison?
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • mrbigmrbig Cotswolds, EnglandPosts: 68MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    I don't think WaltherManiac wrote the article, a man by the name of John Holbrook did, he participates on other forums using other user IDs, mainly on WatchTalk.
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    good article there and i must agree on the rolex clasp...i have two a rare submariner red and a gmt and my only bug bear with them has always been the clasp...while it does its job it does look and feel flimsy...at least it is not as bad as the tag heuer monaco though which i bought new for almost two thousand pounds and which pops open at least six times a day!
  • WaltherManiacWaltherManiac Posts: 52MI6 Agent
    No I didn't write it, but I know the guy who did. He is a friend of mine.
    :)) Very true... Very true!!!
  • EagleEagle UKPosts: 261MI6 Agent
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Eagle wrote:

EVERYTHING BUT A ROLEX SUBMARINER.......... :p
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    edited April 2007
    Asp9mm wrote:

I absolutely agree, ASP9mm (if you add the Sea Dweller to the Sub family) :)
    And, WaltherManiac, I don't want to get into the PO-Rolex comparison again for pages, but your advises sound a bit shallow to me.

There are definetly more aspects about these 2 watches, your friend mentioned many of them in his article, but I disagree with him on 3 points, where the Rolex is in my opinion far underrated.

The crystal
    The bracelet: construction and material
    the clasp

Greetings

Markus

What is shallow about my advice?
  • EagleEagle UKPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Well, opinions differ. :)
    {[]
    edited April 2007
    What is shallow about my advice?

Well, as mentioned earlier, the construction of the steel bracelet with the friction pins is more than questionable and I personally think, that the PO bracelet is too thick.
    But that's personal taste like you find the rubber strap not being classy.
    Plus the steel grade can't be well enough, if the watch is daily faced with one of the most corrosive substances: Your own sweat.

Your statements about the water-resistance are also shallow. Yes, noone will dive that deep, but it is good to know, that the gaskets and other components are well-dimensioned, which brings the extra portion of toughness in the long-run.

These are only some examples, you can't really advise on these watches in 7 lines and not by someone, who does not have experience over years with that kind of watches.

And, sorry, your comparison with the Ferrari is also way out. I think, the major buying reasons for a car like this is not to drive with 200 + mph maximum speed.

Greetings

Markus

Eagle wrote:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    Well, opinions differ. :)

That is quite true, plus if everyone else was always right, like me. I'd have no-one to argue with moon.gif

couch.gif
  • KMHPaladinKMHPaladin Posts: 49MI6 Agent
    I'm sorry, but I disagree that the clasp is not a significant advantage to the Omega. I have compared the clasp on my SMP to the clasp on a friend's Seadweller, and it's night and day. The Rolex clasp feels cheaper and is made of stamped metal.
    edited April 2007
    Absolutely. But you can adjust and repair the Rolex clasp, try to do this on the Omega one. You will have to buy a GBP 120,-- replacement.

Additionally, if sand, salt and dirt does into the Omega mechanism, it won't work properly and is pretty tough to get clean.

As I said on a shallow view.......
    Only time will tell, which one is better and I feel, that it will be the Subby, which is on the market since over 50 yrs for very good reasons.

Hey guys, remember the old stamped steel Roley bracelets have now been redesigned. The new stainless steel GMT II has the new version fitted, so I would imagine that the Sub and SD will get it next year too.
    edited April 2007
    I have seen the new solid buckle on the Rolex Medium models but did not like them. To my taste, more a step back than further.

Greetings

Markus

• ClarkyClarky IndianaPosts: 200MI6 Agent
    Well, here is my two cents. I have both a Planet Ocean and a Rolex Sub. I don't have a Sea Dweller because $5K+ is too steep. The general size and functionality of the Dweller and the Sub same just not rated to the same depth. With the Dweller you are paying for the name same with the Omega. The Planet Ocean is vastly more user-friendly than the Rolex. The Planet Ocean is also vastly more user-friendly than the regular Bond blue Seamaster Pro, but so is the Rolex. The bezel on Rolexes are a little slick when trying to turn them underwater. The regular Seamaster is a nightmare and not really very good for real diving. The Planet Ocean is nice and grippy. So of these choices I would go with the Planet Ocean.

However, in my opinion there is a better watch than either of these for real diving and serious professional consideration. That watch is the orange faced Doxa Sub750T. Rated to 750 meters and is only $1300 compared to the $3000-$6000 range of the above watches. The Doxa as the ND limits on the bezel and is highly visible in dark and murky water. Doxa was the company that invented the Helium escape valve.
    I think that the PO is better then the SD, but it isn't as good as the classic Submariner. That has bond written all over it. The submariner is like the Colt .45; It will NEVER go out of service.
    HOWEVER...
    here is a part of the submariner that I do NOT like at ALL!!!
    the bezel on the submariner wears out REALLY easily. Now... it spins WAY to easily. It is really loose. I would be walking, and slighly bump against it and it spins like crazy!
  • RoebuckRoebuck UKPosts: 25MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    Clarky wrote:
    However, in my opinion there is a better watch than either of these for real diving and serious professional consideration.That watch is the orange faced Doxa Sub750T.

I've worn a 600T for three years now. Performance has been excellent. Bit slimmer lug-to-lug than the 750T(something like 2.6mm)and uses the same ETA 2824-2 movement Breitling put in their Coral Superocean. The only downside is that since I live in the UK I have to return the watch to Switzerland for servicing. Actually, that's a good excuse for a holiday rather than a downside. :)
  • ClarkyClarky IndianaPosts: 200MI6 Agent
    Roebuck wrote:
    The only downside is that since I live in the UK I have to return the watch to Switzerland for servicing.

Well, living in the States I also have to Switzerland for servicing. There are no dealers anywhere. I bought mine directly from Doxa. We may have to make it a double sometime. {[]