If you could choose the actor

I know this wouldn't happen. But which actor would you like to see as Bond? Even in a screen test, just for the hell of it.

My choice has already graced the Bond set. My choice would be the most intelligent actor working today. Michael Madsen. The man has cool running through his every film. Not since Steve McQueen has one actor been able to tell the story and play a roll just with his facile expressions.

Comments

• s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    I would have liked to have seen Sean Bean in the role.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,835MI6 Agent
    Dominic West
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,835MI6 Agent
    I'll expand on that:
    If Craig had never been born, West would be the best candidate.
    -He is a respected but only has low-level fame in the US because of the quality TV-series "The Wire"
    - He is not too old (36-37)
    - He looks the way people picture Bond,
    and he is very distinctive.
    - Tall enough (6')
    - British
    - would love to do the part
    - can do action (witness "300")
  • arthur pringlearthur pringle SpacePosts: 366MI6 Agent
    I think it's a shame that Gerard Butler almost certainly won't do James Bond now. He ticked most of my boxes in 2005 and would have been a good fit for the role. Christian Bale would have been a great James Bond too.
  • 3rbrown3rbrown MI6 Top Secret - Scotland, GlaPosts: 100MI6 Agent
    s96024 wrote:
    I would have liked to have seen Sean Bean in the role.
    So would I
  • Son Of BarbelSon Of Barbel Posts: 227MI6 Agent
    I just want Sean back
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    I just want Sean back

Maybe we will see that when cgi is advanced enough. You never know. I wonder if anyone has obtained the rights to use his image in a james bond film once he dies.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited April 2007
    I would love to see Clive Owen play 007. I think he could be amazing. When it was announced that Brosnan was being replaced, he was my number 1 choice.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Swordfish convinced me that Hugh Jackman could do Bond.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    Swordfish convinced me that Hugh Jackman could do Bond.

Hugh Jackman has the necessary qualities to be a convincing Bond in terms of his ability, looks, screen presence etc. In fact, before Daniel Craig was officially announced, Jackman was my preferred candidate for Bond #6 in the event that Pierce Brosnan did not return.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Jackman was always my first choice...then it defaulted to Owen...then to young Mr. Cavill...I never thought Craigger would actually get it---but now that he has, he's got my wholehearted support.

I hope he plays 007 beyond his three-picture deal...but I don't think he will.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,460Chief of Staff
    Jackman gets my vote. I've always thought that Van Helsing was his dry run for the part of Bond, in that there are a few 007 touches in the film (an M scene where he gets his orders; a Q scene where he's supplied with gadgets; the confrontation with the arch-enemy; and the line that made me laugh out loud when he meets the leading lady- she says "Your reputation precedes you" just as he's about to introduce himself). Jackman's got the looks and the presence, alright; a shame he and EON couldn't agree on terms.
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    ...but now that he has, he's got my wholehearted support.

Really? I somewhat thought he had you at "hello." :x
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    edited April 2007
    superado wrote:
    Really? I somewhat thought he had you at "hello." :x

Ha-hah! :))

Yes, once he was announced, I was in his corner 100%---since I viewed this news as something of a commitment they really were going to do something different this time round.

Prior to that, I'd never expected Eon to actually do it, given their previous record of 'boldness'...and how the the audience had (not) rewarded it over the years...

Rather different this time, I'm happy to say :)
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    Gerard Butler
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    As stated previously, my number 1 choice to replace Brosnan was Clive Owen. However another actor whom I would also have loved to see as Bond is Christian Bale. Not only is he a terrific actor, but he has the look down pat and is capable of both the suaveness and ruthlessness needed IMO to be Bond.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    I'm with Arthur and Barry. I would have gone with Gerard Butler too. :x

He certainly does tick all the boxes and a few more besides. I saw him in an interview the other day and I still think he would be a terrific Bond.

Butler v Craig = Battle of The Six Pack :p
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    Lady Rose wrote:

He certainly does tick all the boxes and a few more besides.

:)) Tick all the boxes..I love that. I agree, he is a cutie, and he's NICE. No visible temper. ;)

P.S. Love your new little devil avatar!
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Monique wrote:
    P.S. Love your new little devil avatar!

Thanks. Thought it was time for a change of image :))

It's Hot Stuff from the Harvey Comics ... Also an appropriate name for Gerard Butler IMO ;)
  • JADE66JADE66 Posts: 238MI6 Agent
    Ioan Gruffud would be my choice. (I hope I spelled his name correctly) His role as Lancelot in King Arthur, and as Wilberforce in Amazing Grace, make him my top pick. He has the lean, smoldering good looks, is excellent in action rolesand he still has a quality of freshness that Hugh Jackman and Clive Owen lack.
    (Jackman and Owen are everywhere)
    As for Michael Madsen, although he has many of the qualities that go into a good Bond, he is just too American. Bond is a Brit and I don't think that Madsen could pull that off. To be fair, Fleming stated that Bond could be mistaken for an American, but Michael Madsen is a bit of a reach. Sean Bean would be excellent in the role.
    Michael Madsen would make a terrific Dirty Harry
    if that property was ever reborn
    Butler was G R E A T in 300 B-)

My respect for him is thus increased tenfold...
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    It's Hot Stuff from the Harvey Comics ... Also an appropriate name for Gerard Butler IMO ;)

Wow..Hot Stuff!!! I thought I recognized him! I loved Harvey Comics as a little kid! I probably should go to Rogue's Comic thread to ask this, but to go terribly off topic for a sec, do you remember Little Audrey? I loved Casper, and Wendy, and Richie Rich too, but my favorite was Little Dot. I'll have to go look her up, maybe I'll use her as my avatar one day! :))

Anyway, yeah Hot Stuff does describe Gerard Butler. I think he'd be great. Scottish actors make great Bonds. ;)
  • Tee HeeTee Hee CBT Headquarters: Chicago, ILPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    If I had it my way, there would have been no reboot and Pierce Brosnan would have been allowed to continue in the role for as long as he was willing. When Pierce did decide to leave, he should have been succeeded by Jackman, Owen, or Butler. These men have all the right stuff. They are extremely handsome as well as sophisticated. Daniel Craig struggles for me in these departments. When he smiles, his whole face wrinkles up like a pug. He's far too buff and in need of a different haircut. Worst of all, Craig seemed to be devoid of charisma in CR. EON could have easily done better. And I'm not talking about Bale or Cavill either; IMO they are far too young for the role.
    "My acting range? Left eyebrow raised, right eyebrow raised..."

-Roger Moore