Personal Protection Methods

scottmu65scottmu65 Carlisle, Cumbria, UKPosts: 402MI6 Agent
edited April 2007 in Off Topic Chat
Evening Guys,

This evening I have been searching the web for websites that provide information on "Personal Protection Methods".

I have found a few useful websites which have dealt with both the sale of personal protection devices and also information regarding these methods, however, my only problem was finding detailed information regarding all of the legal stuff behind personal protection.

The most popular method of personal protection seems to be "The Personal Attack Alarm" which are miniature alarms that can be attached to keyrings or carried discreetly in pockets etc. When activated they supposedly emit a vulgar high pitched noise which aims to distract attackers giving the victim vital time to escape.

The next method I found is a deterrent/identifier, it is "apparently" the legal alternative to Mace/CS Gas/Pepper Spray, it is called "Stoppa Red UV Spray". When activated the tiny canister sprays what can only be described as a bright red "Goo" which sticks to the face, causing temporary sight loss in order to deter the attacker and also makes it easier for the police to identify the attacker afterwards. It has been branded "The Most Powerful Spray Allowed To Be Sold In The UK"

I have two questions to ask about these methods, so if anyone has ever tested or knows anyone who has tested these methods then I will be very grateful for any help.

1. When a personal alarm has been activated, how is it then de-activated to stop the god awful noise?

2. Is the use of Stoppa Red UV Spray actually legal to use? I have read that it is allowed to be sold in the UK, but I'm concerned about the legalities upon actually using the spay on someone else.

The reason I'm posting this is because a few weeks ago two chavs which can only be described as "Mugging B*****ds" tried to mug me right in the car park outside my home, one minute I'm being asked for the tine, then I'm being grabbed around the neck and being told to give them all my money, luckily, I managed to escape without losing my money and without being physically attacked, unless you count being grabbed by the throat as a physical attack. Anyway the experience has opened my eyes to the amount of violent crime that is being committed everyday and also how important the issue of personal protection and safety is.

So if you could please post with any answers to my questions, any stories regarding this issue or even if you have a question to ask about personal protection.

Here are a few links to the websites that I have found:
http://www.trulysafe.co.uk/ http://www.stoppa.co.uk/acatalog/StoppaRed_UV_Self_Defence_Spray.html http://www.personalalarms.com/

Thanks for reading this, and I look forward to seeing your contributions.
http://www.classicbondforums.tk - Please support our community.

Comments

• DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    "No gun, 007? MI-6 must be cutting their budget these days..."
  • JamesbondmmJamesbondmm Posts: 294MI6 Agent
    I'm not so convinced about the 'noise' alarms. If they are designed to distract your attacker, won't they distract you? It might be different if someone could see you being attacked, but house and car alarms don't actually work these days, people just ignore them. You also never know if the person has a knife, gun etc, so you might not get anyone actually willing to help. Consequently, I think the spray idea is probably better.

You might want to take a look at www.spycatcheronline.co.uk/ as well, as they have a few bits and pieces that might be of interest.
  • scottmu65scottmu65 Carlisle, Cumbria, UKPosts: 402MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the link Jamesbondmm, a really useful little site there, infact, its awesome!!
    http://www.classicbondforums.tk - Please support our community.
  • JamesbondmmJamesbondmm Posts: 294MI6 Agent
    No problem, glad I could help.
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    Ever thought of carrying a tightly folded newspaper - more natural than rolled. I remember reading many years ago that this is one piece of defensive equipment that cannot be deemed as an offensive weapon by anyone - other than politicians and film/pop stars. Try it, you'd be surprised at how solid it is and how much damage it can do - lunge with it, don't swat (that'll only bend it).

This of course only works if you don't drop said newspaper when attacked by thugs.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,991Quartermasters
    Walther PPK...chambered in .380.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    He's in the UK, Loeffs.
    edited May 2007
    He's in the UK, Loeffs.

Yeah...I know ;) Still, it works for me.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,723MI6 Agent
    I think shooting a pair of unarmed teenage muggers might be a little OTT! :D

Personally I'd try and avoid any confrontation if you possibly can- antagonising these horrible people is never a good idea and will probably come back to bite you on the bum; they may make it their business to come back for you. If there's any way you can stay out of troublespots in the first place or travel with a chum, I'd aim for that.
    edited May 2007
    emtiem wrote:

Really?? Hmm...

[makes a note]

I must remember that next time :v :))

Quite right, of course ;) Best to avoid criminals entirely.

I don't advocate shooting anyone...never have...who would? One should always obey all applicable laws, wherever they reside.

Those criminals, though...they're a nonconformist lot.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    There is a great book, some may call it a classic - and it was written by a Brit! Its a little old, but is a good basic text on close combat.

The title is "Get Tough!" by W.E. Fairbairn. It was a training manual for Commandos, and even Ian Fleming took the course. For modern use, just ignore the fact that the bad guys are wearing German helmets (they don't anymore) and skip the chapters on using a knife. The rest of the book is a worthwhile text, even if you carry a Walther PPK inside your waistband.

Its very available on eBay.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    Personally, what I like to do is look over the guys shoulder, point and say "Hey -- isn't that (insert name of your favorite babe-a-licious actress here)?" Then run like hell when he turns around. :)
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    emtiem wrote:

I would much prefer to have them writhing on the ground as I kick them in the ribs with heavy boots until they snap one-by-one. With a little luck, one of them will pierce a lung. Then we could proceed to a good solid whipping with the buckle end of my belt. Shooting them would be my second choice. :))

Seriously, I'm not anyone's idea of a gun aficionado. Don't own one and never have. But every now and then, when one of these little SOBs gets blown away while committing a robbery, I find it hard to muster any outrage at the citizen who pulled the trigger on that "unarmed teen-ager." They became predators the minute they left the playground to indulge in grownup games. If they want to dance, they have to be ready to pay the band. I think they count on their youth to protect them. Why should Scottmu65 or anyone else have to give up their safety just to spare these kids from the harsher consequences of their actions? Smoking in the school bathroom is teen-age stuff. Robbery and assault is something else.

But yeah, it probably is a little OTT to shoot them. But a guy can dream, can't he? Maybe give it a Bond spin. "M doesn't mind you making a little money on the side, sonny; she'd just rather it wasn't from mugging honest citizens ..."
    :))