UK's 300th Birthday

Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
Well, 300 years ago today the Kingdoms of Scotland and England surrendered their respective independence and entered a political union to form the Kingdom of Great Britain; today's United Kingdom.

Much is being made of our continued future together as Scotland is on course to elect a Nationalist-led administration in 2 days time, but for the last 300 years our combined voice has had an enormous impact on the world. Whether it good or bad, we built the world's largest Empire and presided over it's break-up. Through that Empire and the industrial revolution we became one of the world's most powerful nations, with one of the largest economies (which remains so today, despite having faltered economically in the 20th Century). Were at the forefront of science, innovation and exploration. Held off facism and stared at Europe's largest invasion force less than 20 miles away, despite being on our knees. We fought the ideological fight against Communism, and successfully transformed from fading colonial power to progressive, modern European nation.

I don't think anywhere near half of that would have been possible without each other - auld enemies and long term foes who often met on the battle fields working together for the benefit of each other. So I think it's a well deserved Happy Birthday, and I personally hope there's many more to come. {[]

We have at least until 2010 to gage just how long we have left, as the almost guaranteed SNP government in Edinburgh will ask the Scottish people to leave the United Kingdom. They have exactly 3 years to convince around a further 20% to gain a majority of those who will answer 'Yes'.
unitedkingdom.png

Comments

• emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,714MI6 Agent
    Is it really? That's fun- you'd think it'd have been made more of; I haven't heard that anywhere else.
  • highhopeshighhopes Posts: 1,358MI6 Agent
    That's a lot of candles on the cake. Congratulations to a very old friend, and I hope that if the couple does file for divorce, it's amicable.
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Happy Birthday!

While our relationship as a Colony didn't go real well, we have alot to thank the old empire for.

Hope we will continue to be the best of friends!

God Bless!
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    I like these sentiments Moonie.

I think there is a lot to celebrate on the 300th birthday, but unfortunately petty nationalism—English and Scottish—is hurting what has been quite a successful partnership all things considered. Often one reads on the internet shocking statements, crudely expressed, from English and Scottish nationalists. This sort of xenophobic thinking does need to be tackled.

Thankfully I should imagine most English and Scottish people are sophisticated enough to overlook such narrow-mindedness. I agree with former German federal president von Weizsaecker: “Patriotism is the love of one’s own people. Nationalism is hatred towards others”.†

More unites than divides us. :)

[line]
    Not that I am suggesting the SNP exemplify that sort of nationalism, rather the sort of people who post on newspaper forums and other sites who make shocking generalisations that I had hoped were of the past.
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    Don't forget Moonraker5, that in these 300 years of existence, the UK also discovered, through the theories of Alexander Dalrymple (Scottish) and the voyages of Captain James Cook (English), the mythical land of Terra Australis Incognita, which is of course now known as Australia.
    Thanks a lot, I love it here.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    Well, not quite the landslide that had been predicted, but the Scottish National Party has emerged as the largest party in the Scottish Parliament and thus has the moral right to govern. It has no majority, and would have to rely on a coalition.

They have one more seat than Labour, and what pains me is that they have won my home constintuency of Cunninghame North by 48 votes. I had considered voting tactically to keep them out, but with several others I know (at least 9) didn't in the end. :( It's a weird feeling to be honest, being one of less than 50 people who could have theoretically stopped them from winning...

Anyway, point is, the Scottish people have spoken and the Labour party has been toppled as the dominant force in Scottish politics for the first time in 50 years. A historic election has now called into question the unity of the Kingdom, and we will be asked to speak in 3 years time to decide on its future.

I'm quite confident the answer to that question will not be to the First Minister-in-waiting Alex Salmond's liking.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Congrats to your citizens, and thank you for the indirect benefits that we all enjoy. {[]
    Well, 300 years ago today the Kingdoms of Scotland and England surrendered their respective independence and entered a political union to form the Kingdom of Great Britain; today's United Kingdom.

I didn't realize that the creation of the union was amicable and reciprocally done on equal footing between Scotland and England.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    superado wrote:
    I didn't realize that the creation of the union was amicable and reciprocally done on equal footing between Scotland and England.
    Amicable...yes, on a political level. It wasn't popular at the time on either side of the border. The bells of St Giles Cathedral in Edinburgh rang out on 1st May 1707. They rang out to the tune of Why Should I be so sad on my Wedding Day?.

Scotland was near bankruptcy over a failed foreign adventure and England needed an ally against France. That was the main driving force. The politicians of the day were all gauranteed cosy settlements, and the Church of Scotland, Scots Law and the Scottish education system were all protected and the promise was made to preserve them (which holds true 300 years later).

It bedded in quite quickly though. The Jacobite Uprisings in 1745 against the Union were deeply unpopular in the south of Scotland and in the 1800s the union had been cemented.

But there was no military coertion, or invasion, or bullying. It suited both parliaments at the time and we already shared a common monarch after the Union of the Crowns in 1603. For all we antagonised each other (and still do, to a certain extent), Scotland was never actually successfully invaded and subjugated in it's entirity by anyone. Romans, Vikings, English...anyone.
    unitedkingdom.png