Mankiewicz interview

bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
Great bits here, sounds like he was a lucky guy to fall into the gig. Hadn't heard he rewrote TSWLM, but makes sense.

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=4983

Comments

• Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Nice find, blueman -- thanks! Most of this I knew already, but it's great to read Mankiewicz's own words. I can just imagine him getting under Cubby's skin with all those obscure references. :)) The TSWLM bit was news to me -- I certainly never made the connection between him and Markowitz.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    It's funny, but the more I read about Cubby, the more amazed I am that the series has outlived him, he seemed out of step with the times back in the 70s, no wonder the 80s were such a morass. Bond owes far more to Connery--and Moore--than Cubby IMO. It's a shame Cubby couldn't have reset the series ala CR 20 years ago with Dalton, it certainly couldn't have turned out any worse than TLD/LTK. Would've meant hiring a director who was more than a yes-man, and embracing a Bond more akin to the DN/FRWL Bond (again like CR has done), but what a missed opportunity. Thank God Brosnan kept the series afloat until such a reset could indeed happen. :o ;)
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:
    It's funny, but the more I read about Cubby, the more amazed I am that the series has outlived him, he seemed out of step with the times back in the 70s, no wonder the 80s were such a morass. Bond owes far more to Connery--and Moore--than Cubby IMO. It's a shame Cubby couldn't have reset the series ala CR 20 years ago with Dalton, it certainly couldn't have turned out any worse than TLD/LTK. Would've meant hiring a director who was more than a yes-man, and embracing a Bond more akin to the DN/FRWL Bond (again like CR has done), but what a missed opportunity. Thank God Brosnan kept the series afloat until such a reset could indeed happen. :o ;)
    Don't know where to begin. You are sooo wrong onevery level.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    blueman wrote:
    Thank God Brosnan kept the series afloat until such a reset could indeed happen. :o ;)
    I completely agree with you on this one. :D
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    blueman wrote:

Very fair assessment. Cubby and Harry achieved early success to the series by stretching the envelope, but you wonder if Cubby's propensity to maintain the status quo involves the fear of failure as well as plain old greed to milk the franchise as much as its teets could muster.

Dalton's casting was such a bold move in itself, but I also agree that fettering this action with the formula kept the direction from realizing something greater.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    edited May 2007
    Excellent points from both blue and supes {[]

Of course, our man in Regent's Park West is keeping quite a very close eye on my praise of CR these days, :v but I must say that Barbara Broccoli's influence on the franchise, lately, is becoming increasingly obvious...

And we'll leave it at that.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    superado wrote:
    Very fair assessment. Cubby and Harry achieved early success to the series by stretching the envelope, but you wonder if Cubby's propensity to maintain the status quo involves the fear of failure as well as plain old greed to milk the franchise as much as its teets could muster.

Dalton's casting was such a bold move in itself, but I also agree that fettering this action with the formula kept the direction from realizing something greater.

Thanks, supes. {[]

Wasn't Cubby the one who nixed the restart with Dalton? I thought Wilson was all for a "new beginning," but Cubby feared audiences wouldn't go for it and stuck with the formula. I think the experience with Lazenby--which includes all the major studio intrigue behind it--left lasting scars that defined the series through DAD. And even though I don't agree with what Cubby did, I can certainly appreciate it on a certain level: because of his choices (whatever the motivation) we have a legacy of filmed Bond that is truly astonishing. He also left his family a grand old business to play with, so good on him for that.

Go Babs! ;)