Serra Instrument

swissagentswissagent SwitzerlandPosts: 17MI6 Agent
Hello everybody, I was wondering what Instrument that was Mr. Serra used for example in "Goldeneye" or "the 5th Element", it sounds similar to a submarine scope, you can hear it very often. I hope you know which instrument I mean.

Comments

• John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    swissagent wrote:
    Hello everybody, I was wondering what Instrument that was Mr. Serra used for example in "Goldeneye" or "the 5th Element", it sounds similar to a submarine scope, you can hear it very often. I hope you know which instrument I mean.

I know what you mean. He used it a lot in the scores he wrote for Luc Besson. Unfortunately, my main interest is film, not music, so I couldn't tell you what it is. GE was the last film Serra scored that I actually like. I'm not really aware of what he's being doing since.
  • Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    To my untrained ear I'd always imagined he'd used a scaffolding pole (dropped) and a kazoo.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,363Chief of Staff
    To my untrained ear I'd always imagined he'd used a scaffolding pole (dropped) and a kazoo.

:)) And Minnie Driver strangling a cat.
  • JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Why not rename this thread "LET'S ALL BASH ERIC SERRA"?

Poor guy, the score gets a bum rap, it's quite good in my opinion. So what if it isn't John Barry's orchestra? Do you know (to me) how old it gets after awhile? Don't get me wrong, I love Barry's work on the Bond series, but many of his songs are kind of "background music"-ish and have a "where have I heard this before?" feeling while all the one-off composers have a distinct style which makes their scores unique.

Martin - 70s Pop
    Hamlisch - Synthesizer
    Conti - Disco
    Kamen - Boring
    Serra - Industrial

I rank Martin, Hamlisch, Conti and Serra's scores above many of Barry's, because many are tedious sounding. His best are definitely OHMSS, DAF, MR, AVTAK and TLD. That's not saying Barry's others aren't "bad" but they lack the uniqueness of the aformentioned ones.

So everyone who liked Eric Serra's GE, please raise their hands and raise them high, because we are one of few. I think it all boils down to personal taste once again. :D
    My admiration for you grows higher, JFF; in a topic concerning an instrument used in GE you still manage to mention AVTAK! :D
    Well what is the real instrument? I read an interview with him where he mentioned he gave the movie a quasi-African feel, though I really didn't hear that motif, except maybe in "A Good Squeeze".

Poor guy, the score gets a bum rap, it's quite good in my opinion. So what if it isn't John Barry's orchestra? Do you know (to me) how old it gets after awhile? Don't get me wrong, I love Barry's work on the Bond series, but many of his songs are kind of "background music"-ish and have a "where have I heard this before?" feeling while all the one-off composers have a distinct style which makes their scores unique.

Martin - 70s Pop
    Hamlisch - Synthesizer
    Conti - Disco
    Kamen - Boring
    Serra - Industrial

I rank Martin, Hamlisch, Conti and Serra's scores above many of Barry's, because many are tedious sounding. His best are definitely OHMSS, DAF, MR, AVTAK and TLD. That's not saying Barry's others aren't "bad" but they lack the uniqueness of the aformentioned ones.

So everyone who liked Eric Serra's GE, please raise their hands and raise them high, because we are one of few. I think it all boils down to personal taste once again. :D

I wasn't knocking Serra at all. I like his score for GE. I love his work with Luc Besson even more. It's just he seems to have dropped out of the picture in the last few years.
    John Drake wrote:

Martin - 70s Pop
    Hamlisch - Synthesizer
    Conti - Disco
    Kamen - Boring
    Serra - Industrial

I wasn't knocking Serra at all. I like his score for GE. I love his work with Luc Besson even more. It's just he seems to have dropped out of the picture in the last few years.

I'm sorry John Drake, I was referring to Barbel and Bill Tanner (who seem to loathe and despise the score ;)) but yeah, he has dropped out of the picture. Personally, if he came back, and movie adaptations of Perfect Dark and Half-Life came out, he'd be very good at them, as both are very sci-fi, so synth and techno would be a must.
    {[] JFF. I kind of miss Serra's music. I wish he'd get involved in something big again. I was thrilled when it was announced he was doing the score for GE back in 95.
  • swissagentswissagent SwitzerlandPosts: 17MI6 Agent
    Hello guys,

I finally figured out what the original instrument is: It`s a tambourine, just pitch down and played a little bit slower, so now the mysterie is solved ;)
    I liked his score for Goldeneye, specially the track "Goldeneye Overture", it just gives a good old and cold sovjet union feeling. It just fits the movie and honestly, I couldn`t imagine the score for goldeneye done by David arnold, it would`ve sound to modern.

Greetings from Switzerland
  • Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    I'm sorry John Drake, I was referring to Barbel and Bill Tanner (who seem to loathe and despise the score ;)).

A bit strong... Dislike might be closer to the mark.

John Drake wrote:
    I wasn't knocking Serra at all.

I was.
    I'm sorry John Drake, I was referring to Barbel and Bill Tanner (who seem to loathe and despise the score ;)).

A bit strong... Dislike might be closer to the mark.

John Drake wrote:

I was.

Oh, I think I'm fairly comfortable with "loathe and despise". But knocking Serra I'm also comfortable with :).
    John Drake wrote:

I was.

Fair enough. :D
    Hello bond fans,
    I am just about to make a track similar to the style of serra and I wanted to ask if his Synthesised instruments are protected somehow, I created this synthesised tambourine on my own now I wanted to know if this "instrument" and ohters are protected.

Hope you can help me...

Greets
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    If you create it on your own, it's perfectly okay. You can not trademark an instrument under normal circumstances. This reminds me of a story Miklós Rózsa told about the theremin, which he used in the movie that brought him his first Academy Award, Spellbound. When he used the theremin in another score, producer David O. Selznick wrote him a memo that he (aka Selznick) owns the theremin. Rózsa told him he is an idiot (in a more polite and funny manner) and the two never worked again. Also, if it's a fan work without profit, why would anyone care what you use? Unless it's an actual sample from Serra's library, but you don't have access to that, do you? ;)
    Cat, by Spellbound, do you mean the American documentary about the 8 kids in the spelling bee?
    Hello, no I created it on my own and also other distorted instruments.
    Would you guys like to hear the it ? And since we are talking about Bond music, how much need I to change the bond rythm and melodie not to get problems ?
    greets
    swissagent wrote:
    Hello, no I created it on my own and also other distorted instruments.
    Would you guys like to hear the it ? And since we are talking about Bond music, how much need I to change the bond rythm and melodie not to get problems ?
    greets

Firstly, I'm assuming you mean the "James Bond Theme" itself.

If by rhythm you mean the vamp (the rising & falling four-note figure which plays through most of the Bond Theme), then this doesn't need to change much. It's possible to find this figure in many other works (eg, an earlier Barry arrangement called "Poor Me" a.o. as well as many non-Bond/Barry pieces) as has been pointed out by no less than Burt Rhodes- specifically mentioning "The Continental"- and some fairly minor tinkering should keep matters clear and distinct while sounding suitably Bondian.

As for the actual melody itself, things are much less simple. This would have to be changed more comprehensively to avoid unwanted correspondence with Mr. Norman's frequently busy legal representatives. Many composers for film and TV have over the last forty-five years spun variations on the Bond Theme to suggest its presence without technically quoting from it (and thus sharing their profits with Mr. Norman). For examples of this, watch "The Cannonball Run" or "The Return Of The Man From U.N.C.L.E." and study the music played when the characters played by Roger Moore and George Lazenby appear. Note (pun not intended) how the music implies the Theme without coming right out with it.

Hope this helps!
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    edited July 2007
    Cat, by Spellbound, do you mean the American documentary about the 8 kids in the spelling bee?

No, I mean the classic Alfred Hitchock picture from 1945 starring Ingrid Bergman and Gregory Peck.
    Okay good, because the score to that documentary drove me up the wall!