Bond Bust Statue

Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
Here is the link to a thread showing pictures of the Connery Bond bust that I commissioned by Howard Studios. This fellow purchased the bust from me and then painted it and turned it into a phenomenal 1:1 statue. Very cool indeed.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?p=340366#post340366

If anyone wants a bust of Connery or Brosnan please contact me.

DG
So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
image_zps6a725e59.jpg
"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.

Comments

• NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    That looks amazing! Weren't you planning something similar? Or was that Supes?
  • superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    I'm still in the planning stage :p which is only for a bust from the middle of the chest up and the right arm.

DG, can I ask a favor? Can you get information from Don Pierce about the hands? I need only the right hand. I found one a while back from Dorfmann's but it is too slight for Connery's. Thanks in advance!
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    edited May 2007
    Night,

Yes I have a full size Connery, but it's not complete yet. Still missing the white dinner jacket, shirt and nylon wetsuit.

Superado,

I'll see what I can do about getting the info from Mister Pierce.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • Dahn LeeDahn Lee Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Hi Guys!

I saw Superado's question about the hands and registered so I could post a reply. The hands on the figure are actually casts of my own hands. I purchased the materials from an online store called the Monster Shop ((http://www.monstermakers.com/). They make a product called Monster-Cast that can be mixed with an additive called Watertrap. This allows you to cast a urethane resin part from an alginate mold. It took about a pound of alginate and 3/4 of a gallon of Monster-Cast for each hand. The total cost to make both hands was a little over $100.

BondHands.jpg

For the gun hand, I made the mold of my hand while holding the PPK. Once the alginate was set, I worked my hand out of the mold and left the gun in the alginate. The resin hand was then literally cast around the gun.

Let me know if you decide to go through the same process and I'll pass along some additional info that might be helpful :)

To D.G.: Again let me express my thanks for making the Connery bust available. This has been a dream project for years, and it wouldn't have been possible without your help.

And thanks to all you guys for the compliments!

Don
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    great work...on a side note has anyone actually noticed how small connerys hands are? especially for a big guy...look at the frwl promo photos of him holding the gun to see what i mean
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Don,

Excellent work. We need to talk. I have to get mine finished. Others have enquired about your services as well.

DG
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    edited May 2007
    Dahn Lee wrote:
    Hi Guys!

I saw Superado's question about the hands and registered so I could post a reply. The hands on the figure are actually casts of my own hands. I purchased the materials from an online store called the Monster Shop ((http://www.monstermakers.com/). They make a product called Monster-Cast that can be mixed with an additive called Watertrap. This allows you to cast a urethane resin part from an alginate mold. It took about a pound of alginate and 3/4 of a gallon of Monster-Cast for each hand. The total cost to make both hands was a little over $100.

BondHands.jpg

For the gun hand, I made the mold of my hand while holding the PPK. Once the alginate was set, I worked my hand out of the mold and left the gun in the alginate. The resin hand was then literally cast around the gun.

Let me know if you decide to go through the same process and I'll pass along some additional info that might be helpful :)

To D.G.: Again let me express my thanks for making the Connery bust available. This has been a dream project for years, and it wouldn't have been possible without your help.

And thanks to all you guys for the compliments!

Don

Thanks DG for helping Don join the gang.

Welcome Don! Thank you for posting the overview of your process and the close-up photos! Yes, if it's not too much trouble, can you please share any additional information on this process?

I've made similar research but have not found any deliberate examples until DG introduced us to what you've done. I'll be using the LP-53 pistol and contemplated having to make a mold of that first, or at least a mock-up approximating the handle and trigger to give the hand its form when casting.

The problem I face is, though I have big hands, I think that Connery's are bigger and meatier (see link I posted below), and even contemplated finding someone with big hands on Craigs List.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
    delon64 wrote:
    great work...on a side note has anyone actually noticed how small connerys hands are? especially for a big guy...look at the frwl promo photos of him holding the gun to see what i mean

Actually, I think that the opposite is true. If you look at that particular photo again, Connery's fisted hand is almost close to being as large as his face:

http://www.mi6.co.uk/sections/articles/images/penguin_modernclassics2004_frwl.jpg

By the way, how come MI6 gets to post EON images?