007's creator 'was in plot to frame witch'

s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
Just found this article on the internet.
More than 60 years on, the case of Helen Duncan, the last woman in Britain to be jailed for witchcraft, refuses to die. As her supporters seek a posthumous pardon, evidence has emerged that she may have been the victim of a plot involving British intelligence agents, including Ian Fleming, creator of James Bond.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/secondworldwar/story/0,,2078620,00.html

Comments

• darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    A very interesting story...truth really can be stranger than fiction.

But it confirms my theory that ghosts are evil if they were attempting to undermine the D-day invasion! :o
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,885Chief of Staff
    Cool story indeed. Still, I think the use of "framing" is a little harsh. . .this situation seems comparable to sending Al Capone to jail on charges of tax fraud--he was guilty of it, but that's not why they wanted him off the streets!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Being that Fleming was "Personal Assistant" to the Director of Naval Intelligence, I suspect his fingerprints are on hundreds of like operations.

War was taken pretty seriously in the 1940's - I suspect those who lived through the Blitz, and looked across that narrow channel at the Nazi war machine and possible invasion, had much patience with people on the fringes of society who might tip off German intelligence.