TSWLM--Mystery of the missing crew!

zooeyhallzooeyhall Posts: 8MI6 Agent
edited May 2007 in The James Bond Films
Was watching TSWLM last night--definitely one of the best if not THE best 007 film!

However, I noticed what may be a major plot hole. The Liparus super-tanker has captured 3 nuclear submarines--a Russian, a British, and finally an American. However in the climax of the film, when Bond stages the big breakout of the prisoners, we only see American and British sailors. What happened the crew of the Russian sub that Stromberg captured? Did I miss something during the viewing?

Comments

• JennyFlexFanJennyFlexFan Posts: 1,497MI6 Agent
    Didn't he kill the crew of that one and send out the Russian submarine already? It's been awhile since I've seen it but maybe he already captured the Russian one.
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    zooeyhall wrote:
    However in the climax of the film, when Bond stages the big breakout of the prisoners, we only see American and British sailors. What happened the crew of the Russian sub that Stromberg captured? Did I miss something during the viewing?

Correct, we see only the breakout of the Brits (not the Americans, BTW, so you could conclude they're also missing), but Bond cleary says to the captain, "release the other crews and then make for the amory;" it's implied there are other brigs holding other crews. Also, as you watch the battle, uniforms for all three are apparent and certainly Russian accents are heard as the Ranger makes it's escape.
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    zooeyhall wrote:
    Was watching TSWLM last night--definitely one of the best if not THE best 007 film!

However, I noticed what may be a major plot hole.
    Plot holes? There are no plot holes in TSWLM! X-( ;)
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,385Chief of Staff
    Dan Same wrote:
    Plot holes? There are no plot holes in TSWLM! X-( ;)

Now there's a thought; we're all familiar with topics picking holes in individual films (DAF suffers from that a lot, although it's not alone). Is there any Bond film WITHOUT plot holes...?
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    Barbel wrote:
    Now there's a thought; we're all familiar with topics picking holes in individual films (DAF suffers from that a lot, although it's not alone). Is there any Bond film WITHOUT plot holes...?
    I would say GF, however that has been discussed to death, so my candidate would be FRWL.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    Not a hole as such, but c'mon... no way is that assassin in the pts wearing a Connery/Bond mask. It's Bond. That wouldn't pass in a modern film.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    That wouldn't pass in a modern film.

Like Mission:Impossible 1, 2 & 3 perhaps?
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    :o
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Perhaps the Soviets didn't give up their submarine that easily and were effectively treated by Herr Stromberg's gas, the same he promises to the the American sub. Now the real plot hole is why keep the crews as a hostage? Stromberg has his own crew anyway, he didn't need these people in the first place. They are not even hostages, they are just kept there like jars of pickle in the attic. Now we all know keeping them alive was a fatal mistake on Stromberg's part...
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,292MI6 Agent
    That wouldn't pass in a modern film.

Like Mission:Impossible 1, 2 & 3 perhaps?

Well, I didn't find that believable either... :p
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • MrsDallowayMrsDalloway Posts: 79MI6 Agent
    What I want to know is if The Cat really keeps jars of pickle in his attic? Mine's full of cobwebs, old books and icky stuff - no pickles.
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    The truth would shock you even more. There are in deed pickle jars in the attick, although they do not really contain pickles anymore. My grandmother collected them as she had a strange behaviour to keep every type of container she ever came across. The invention of plastic bags and those little food carrier boxes made things even worse... Luckily we could get rid of those, but the pickle jars are still intact. If anybody wants them, let me know.
  • zooeyhallzooeyhall Posts: 8MI6 Agent
    I noticed something while re-watching the segment where the USS Ranger is captured. A harpoon is fired penetrating the hull, and then a speaker is attached. Stromberg than tells the crew in the sub to open the sub or "the alternative is extermination, by cyanide gas".

Could it be that the Russians refused to leave their sub, and were ruthlessly exterminated by Stromberg?