Pirates of the Carribean: Worlds End

FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
Seen this this afternoon - went straight after school with my brother and some mates.
Well it wasn't what I expected but neither was it the complete opposite. It wasn't as good as I'd expected but it wasn't dreadful either.
It did seem to stretch on a bit towards the end but that may have been because I needed to pee lol. :))
It wasn't as funny as the previous two films and the plot was rather confusing.
There seemed to be far too many main characters, making it difficult to follow their individual intentions and desires.
Captain Jack certainly didn't have as much screen time as in the previous movies.
To sum up really, I have mixed views about it and probably won't really be sure until I've watched it again. But I don't think I'll be doing that as soon as I had previously planned. :(
Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{

Comments

• s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    These films have never really appealed to me and as of yet I haven't seen any of them. 3hrs is way too long for a film imo, 2hrs is the max.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    s96024 wrote:
    These films have never really appealed to me and as of yet I haven't seen any of them. 3hrs is way too long for a film imo, 2hrs is the max.

Must not have seen too many Bond movies then. Only a couple of those are under 2 hours. If the movie is good, time doesn't matter.

Will see Pirates tomorrow and I am looking forward to it. The reviews I have seen have all been pretty positive.
    Theres more than a couple and most are very close to the 2hr mark. The better the movie, yes the longer you can watch. But 3hrs is too long even for a masterpiece imo. For example if the kill bill films were joined as one I could never watch it the whole way through. But I love the films seperatly. Perhaps I just have a short attention span.
  • TOOTSTOOTS Posts: 114MI6 Agent
    Pirates 3 was the expected yawn. The story is a sequence of mumbo jumbo tied together by some admittedly wonderful visuals and plenty of surreal moments. There are no consequences, you don't care about the numerous characters. The effects are fantastic but tied to murky, repetitive and gloomy visuals. There is no colour in the film.

Keira Knightly is usually gorgeous, but they make her look so grim. Orlando Bloom is a far better leading lady.

Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow keeps us smilin' and takes us to his special island. He is consistently amusing and Sparrow fans are in for multiple Sparrow treat. I guess though it is all just too much.

Oh, my pre-Daniel Craig choice for a post-Brosnan Bond, Jack Davenport, is hardly in the movie at all.

Saw the movie at an industry and press multimedia preview on Monday. Mind you, when I saw Dead Man's Chest at a similar event last year, prior to release, all the movie industry professionals around me (and myself) hated the film and were convinced Disney were on to a loser. We commiserated that they were locked in to a third film. Well, nobody knows anything and we certainly didn't.

I remember going to a Disney investors' meeting about DMC and ATW prior to their filming and knew about the projects as well as the revenue projections for the pictures - suffice to say the global grosses have far exceeded expectations!

Actually, I preferred At World's End to Dead Man's Chest (not saying much).
  • Krassno GranitskiKrassno Granitski USAPosts: 896MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    TOOTS wrote:
    Orlando Bloom is a far better leading lady.
    :))
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    I'll be seeing it tomorrow, I think.

I loved the first one, and hated the second - it was sheer boredom. My expectations are very low, so it won't take much to exceed them.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    It was like pirates one, with less Jack Sparrow and less comedy. I hated this film.

Additionally, for a movie named pirates of the carribean - they didnt do much piracy, nor were they in the carribean.

And what the hell happened to Tia Dalma in the end. That was just a pile of rubbish.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,281MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    Saw this with my brother today; neither of us found it particularly memorable.

Visually the film is striking but it is way too long, there are too many subplots and double-crosses along the way, far too many characters, and a lot of unexplained plot threads. For example, can someone explain to me how the Kraken ended up where it did in this film, especially as it was such an indestructible force in the last one? I must have missed something there. The whole Tia Dalma / Calypso subplot had no real payoff either. Sao Feng's character exited as uneventfully as he appeared. And Davey Jones' final fate was equally quick and unsatisfying. It's never really made clear how our heros reach Davey Jones' locker, or just how they escape for that matter - I guess since it's a fantasy movie even a fanciful explanation would be asking for too much. The last hour was visually entertaining but getting there was a chore and after a while I just stopped trying to follow the plot. It was also hard to understand a lot of what the characters were saying (especially Tia Dalma's ridiculously thick Jamaican accent). Geoffrey Rush (who has slowly become one of my favorite actors) was the best thing about this movie to me.

My reaction to the first two movies was that they were entertaining but after I saw them once I didn't have any real desire to see them again. Part 3 elicited the same reaction from me.
  • Klaus HergescheimerKlaus Hergescheimer Posts: 332MI6 Agent
    My thoughts echo Tony's very closely.

In my opinion, AWE is vastly superior to DMC. I kept thinking during DMC "WOW! This is incredibly over the top." But during AWE, I just enjoyed the film.

Probably the biggest determinant of the difference in quality between the two films is the presence of Captain Barbosa yet again. Geoffrey Rush (who is one of my favorite actors, as well) is absolutely superb, once again.

Johnny Depp was brilliant as Capt. Jack Sparrow (each one of them ;)) yet again.

Keira Knightley is just scorching. Period.

Orlando Bloom is a horrible actor. I cringe every time I see him on screen.

It's not a perfect movie, and there are some pretty hokie and silly parts. But for the most part, it's extremely fun. And that's why you go to see these films.
  • Mewtwo3090Mewtwo3090 Posts: 72MI6 Agent
    I saw this yesterday and it lasted from 11:30 to 2:45. It was great. Although, I do agree with FelixLeiter007, Jack Sparrow didn't have much screen time as I had hoped. To tell the truth, Barbosa is my favorite in this film.
  • Barry NelsonBarry Nelson ChicagoPosts: 1,508MI6 Agent
    edited May 2007
    Just returned from seeing it and I loved it. The movie is fun, I laughed outloud numerous times, the action scenes are some of the best I ever saw, and the cast, including many of the minor characters, are very good. The plot can be hard to follow sometimes and Tony is right some of the characters can be hard to understand, but the movie is pure summer fun. The climatic battle near the end has to one the longest action scenes ever, but it is very thrilling. The money they spent on the movie is on the screen, from the visually stunning scenes to the large action scenes this is pure summer escapism fun.

Trailers - saw some good trailers, Live Free or Die Hard which I previousely had no interest in looked very good. Transformers, which I wouldn't think I would like looked good too. The Golden Compass with Daniel Craig getting 5th billing was unintersting. Also the new Pixar Ratatoie (sp?) looked funny. A teaser trailer for the new Nick Cage American Treasure movie got my interest.
  • PendragonPendragon ColoradoPosts: 2,640MI6 Agent
    I loved this movie to bits. I went to an opening show, and had a blast. The plot was a bit full, but that did not matter for me. I do plan to see it again, and I'm sure that I'll fall in love all over again. {[]

SPOILER!!!!!

when Norrington kisses Elizabeth, I nearly broke out into tears. Jack Davenport is truly a gorgeous man. :D

~Pen -{
    Hey! Observer! You trying to get yourself Killed?

mountainburdphotography.wordpress.com
  • Loeffelholz JrLoeffelholz Jr Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    I can not wait until I get to see the movie. I have heard that it is very good. :)
    The reviews I have read have not been to kind in the most part.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,280MI6 Agent
    Think I'll give this a miss.

Trilogies... they're not having a great time. It's like they can only work if the second film sucked, like Temple of Doom.

Bond worked because it had to, it was a different movie each one, with only tangential recurring characters...

Imagine Dr No 2 - with Honey returning, except now she's helping Bond on a more equal footing, or she's been kidnapped, with Leiter back, only he and Bond are now love rivals over Honey, and the two sinister oriental sisters back too... all in the same sort of locations... :#

Wish the Pirates had gone around Europe a bit, pillaging Napoleon or something, that would have changed things a bit...
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017