Four questions about Octopussy

JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
edited May 2007 in The James Bond Films
After recently just watching Octopussy again, four things confused me, and was wondering if anyone could answer these questions.

1 - The egg that Kamal managed to get from Bond (the one that Orlov smashed up)... was this one a fake too?

2 - Why does Bond bother teaming up with Octopussy knowing that she's a jewelry smuggler?

3 - After Orlov's death, why does Kamal carry on with the bomb plan? Kamal doesn't even question where Orlov has dissappeared to, and with Orlov out of the picture, Kamal wouldn't even need to carry on with the bomb as he's already got the stolen jewelry.

4 - Finally, this is just one that I personally misunderstood, but why does Orlov even want to attack wesertn europe in the first place?

Sorry if I seem stupid lol, films can confuse me sometimes, even after many views ?:) :007)
1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby

Comments

• jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    OK, here we go:

1) The egg that is smashed is the genuine Faberge egg - look at Louis Jordan's face; pained and full of agony.

2) Trained killers can hardly look down on jewellery smugglers! Bond is trying to find out who killed 009, and so is following leads that take him to Octopussy and her circus. So he's not really teaming up with her - he's getting close to her to find out about 009. (Plus she is an attractive woman!). At the end, he is using Octopussy's resources so that he can get Kamal (why he has to is another matter...)

3) Kamal doesn't know that Orlov is dead. Orlov supplies the bomb in the train tunnel, then the two part ways, presumably to meet later. Kamal then sets the bomb as he was assigned to do. There's only a couple of hours between Orlov being shot at the border and the bomb being due to go off, so word wouldn't have travelled that fast, especially if the Soviets hushed up the death.

4) Orlov is a "hawk" in the Council, but is the only one; he is satisfying his "personal paranoia and thirst for conquest." Bond explains Orlov's plot far more succinctly than me when he confronts him in the train tunnel - once the bomb goes off at Feldstadt, Europe will press for nuclear disarmament, leaving the borders manned by conventional weapons which the Soviets can easily overwhelm. And thus, the USSR gets to expand...
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Ahh I see, thanks for explaining that, makes thing more clear. Cheers
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby