Is this true...

WintWint Posts: 6MI6 Agent
...I saw it on Wikipedia.

"Vesper Lynd is a pun on West Berlin. Like her namesake, the city of Berlin, Vesper's loyalties are split down the middle."

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,460Chief of Staff
    Wint wrote:
    ...I saw it on Wikipedia.

"Vesper Lynd is a pun on West Berlin. Like her namesake, the city of Berlin, Vesper's loyalties are split down the middle."

Not everything on Wikipedia can be 100% relied on and I'd doubt this one. According to Andrew Lycett's Fleming bio, Vesper is named after a rum cocktail. This story is very similar to one in Ivar Bryce's Fleming memoir You Only Live Once, published some years earlier than the Lycett book.
  • MrsDallowayMrsDalloway Posts: 79MI6 Agent
    Oh, I hope it's true... it's rather clever.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,885Chief of Staff
    It is indeed clever, but I doubt its authenticity. I've pretty well read every imaginable source on Fleming and Bond, and this is the first time I've heard this theory. (That said, there's every possibility Fleming could have had it in mind--but there's no way now to know for sure!)
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • MrsDallowayMrsDalloway Posts: 79MI6 Agent
    Tut, tut, Mr Boy... are you so conceited as to believe you know everything that is knowable on our friend Fleming and his character?

I pride myself on an extensive knowledge of the subject, having read all the biographies and any articles I can find, yet I frequently learn new pieces of trivia and information.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Man, just can't turn around on a Bond forum without somebody taking gloves off about something...;)
  • Bill TannerBill Tanner "Spending the money quickly" iPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    Oh just ignore her. She's going through one of her belligerent phases.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,306MI6 Agent
    Yeah. Hose yourself down, Mrs D! :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    To paraphrase someone who spoke about dinner jackets, there is Bond trivia and there is Bond trivia...naming Vesper after West Berlin? Neither the former or the latter.