This is what I'm talking about...

Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
Sorry to keep flagging up YouTube, but this clip shows the difference between the Ultimate edition DVD and the previous one:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fkDGlngvw4

The new one is a lot darker. What gives? I mentioned this earlier, though also referring to the sound quality of the new DVD which didn't seem right - the music wasn't loud enough. So I took the DVD back... lookiing for the older one on eBay now.
"This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

Comments

• darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    It appears that they altered the print to give it a 'nighttime' appearance? Not sure if that's the explanation, though, since the film seems to indicate that the scene took place just before sunset.
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,286MI6 Agent
    Well I picked out an old copy of OHMSS from a second hand DVD store and it's fine. Not too dark pts, sound works better on my set.

That said, what's the deal with the new GF? On mi6 they're moaning the new mix is inferior, and that's what's gonna be on the UK re-release this summer.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    I recall the scene as shown in theatres in '69 was closer to the "darker" Ultimate Edition - it is supposed to be night after all.

It may have been "enhanced" or "lightened" for showing on the TV.

Prehaps they just put it back like it was supposed to be. I prefer the lighter version - but that's because my eyes are not as sharp as they used to be.