Paris Hilton

kees007kees007 Posts: 88MI6 Agent
Hey, guys,

I'd like to get your thoughts on this article I wrote about Ms. Paris Hilton.

http://www.positive-entertainment.com/mediatreatmentofparis

Thanks!

Kees

Comments

• John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    kees007 wrote:
    Hey, guys,

Thanks!

Kees

{[] Kees. I found that to be one of the most interesting things I've read on the subject. It certainly stimulated my own thoughts. I do however disagree with almost everything you wrote. Please allow me to offer my own take on the adventures of Paris Hilton. Be warned, I'm both cynical and world-weary. :D

Firstly, there are more important things going on in the world, but these issues are ongoing. We’re not going to hear the end of Iraq, nuclear power, or terrorism any time soon. People do become immune to hearing about the same stories again and again. A little light relief is needed every so often. It’s no wonder that news outlets jump on a story like this. It is sensational. It’s trashy, it’s tawdry (for Paris may be rich, but she sure ain’t classy), and it’s got chicks behind bars. :o How could they turn this down?. First she’s in jail, then she’s not in jail. No wait, there she goes again. It’s as dramatic and fast moving as an episode of 24.

It may seem harsh to take pleasure in somebody else’s misfortune, but Hilton’s behaviour has often been unpleasant. I’ll cite one episode that is far more vicious than anything Sarah Silverman (Jack Nicholson found that funny) had to say. Paris and her rich friends goading the younger and more vulnerable Lindsay Lohan, outside a nightclub and loudly referring to the redheaded starlet as “Firecrotch.” A reference to, well, you do the math. If you want to feel sorry for a young woman who recently had trouble with the law, then direct your sympathy towards Lohan. Unlike Hilton, she has talent, but seems hell-bent on wasting it. That’s a shame, and nobody seems to be looking out for her.

I have to dispute the idea that Paris produces entertainment for any demographic. Unless you like adult movies filmed in infra-red night vision, then going to jail is quite the most entertaining thing Hilton has ever done. Getting her head cut off in House of Wax doesn’t count. Bad movies are evil

If she’s DUI in an SUV, then jail is the right place for her, before it becomes a habit and somebody gets hurt. If you or I, or anybody else we know landed in jail, they wouldn't let us out after three days because we were looking a bit peeky. The judge had every right to go mental. His authority had been questioned and he had been made to look like a fool. As for jail, the accommodation is lousy, the food is terrible, the clientele dubious and the staff rude and unfriendly. That sounds exactly like the Hilton Hotel in my hometown. :)) At least she’s in LA.

The media might build people up, to knock them down, but the only thing they love more than doing that, is seeing a star get back on their feet. They love comebacks. If Paris does the time quietly, then she’ll do well out of this. She’ll earn a lot of respect from people and afterwards an interview with Barbara Walters is waiting for her, where she can hold that little copy of the bible and maybe even quote from it, be penitent and talk about having grown as a person. I predict that in a year’s time she’ll be even more famous and starring in a remake of Caged Heat.
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    We often live in a lowest-common-denominator society. A portion of the media has always fueled this (how old is the National Enquirer?) and with the advent of first cable TV and then the internet, the media does so ever more relentlessly. Paris Hilton has usually played into their hands because she likes the spotlight. Perhaps now she wishes she hadn't, but when you strive to become famous for nothing more than being famous, this is the risk you take. It's ironic that she's not in jail for drunk driving, but rather for a parole violation. Kind of like Martha Stewart, who was sent up not for insider trading, but for lying to government investigators who asked her about it.

I hope that Paris Hilton (like Hai Fat :D) has a "useful, happy, long life". I would wish that for anyone. However, having flaunted herself via the media to the general public for years, she should be realistic enough not to expect sympathy from either -- much of the media are only interested in perpetuating anything that leads to a "story", and much of the public are simply jealous of her money and carefree life.
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    No emphathy here.

Paris Hilton can be mean-spirited. Watch the simple life where she humiliates and ridicules over-weight people.

A month and a half in jail is hardly the end of the world - Stop crying and get over that. When you're on a suspended licensce - you don't take the car for a joyride. (twice!)
  • kees007kees007 Posts: 88MI6 Agent
    edited June 2007
    John Drake wrote:
    kees007 wrote:
    Hey, guys,

Thanks!

Kees

{[] Kees. I found that to be one of the most interesting things I've read on the subject. It certainly stimulated my own thoughts. I do however disagree with almost everything you wrote. Please allow me to offer my own take on the adventures of Paris Hilton. Be warned, I'm both cynical and world-weary. :D

Firstly, there are more important things going on in the world, but these issues are ongoing. We’re not going to hear the end of Iraq, nuclear power, or terrorism any time soon. People do become immune to hearing about the same stories again and again. A little light relief is needed every so often. It’s no wonder that news outlets jump on a story like this. It is sensational. It’s trashy, it’s tawdry (for Paris may be rich, but she sure ain’t classy), and it’s got chicks behind bars. :o How could they turn this down?. First she’s in jail, then she’s not in jail. No wait, there she goes again. It’s as dramatic and fast moving as an episode of 24.

It may seem harsh to take pleasure in somebody else’s misfortune, but Hilton’s behaviour has often been unpleasant. I’ll cite one episode that is far more vicious than anything Sarah Silverman (Jack Nicholson found that funny) had to say. Paris and her rich friends goading the younger and more vulnerable Lindsay Lohan, outside a nightclub and loudly referring to the redheaded starlet as “Firecrotch.” A reference to, well, you do the math. If you want to feel sorry for a young woman who recently had trouble with the law, then direct your sympathy towards Lohan. Unlike Hilton, she has talent, but seems hell-bent on wasting it. That’s a shame, and nobody seems to be looking out for her.
    Well, thank you, obviously put quite a bit of thinking into this. A couple of points on it. The comment about Lindsey Lohan was made by Brandon Davis. I will agree that Paris was right behind him and could have not laughed and told Brandon to not say those types of things about Lindsey. I've got a client, who's done some work with Lindsey and my heart does go out to Lindsey, but without going into details, I wouldn't call her a poor helpless girl.

As for talent is concerned. That gets a bit subjective. I actually see both as having talent. But I realize that that is all very debatable.

My main concern though was not so much, who was talented, but how Paris was treated at the event. Some of these same people are protesting when some prisoners of war, who are terrorists are being humiliated, yet they don't mind tearing up Paris at the MTV Music Awards. I was also concerned about the skit on the Flight 93. These were people that gave their lives for our country.
    John Drake wrote:
    I have to dispute the idea that Paris produces entertainment for any demographic. Unless you like adult movies filmed in infra-red night vision, then going to jail is quite the most entertaining thing Hilton has ever done. Getting her head cut off in House of Wax doesn’t count. Bad movies are evil

If she’s DUI in an SUV, then jail is the right place for her, before it becomes a habit and somebody gets hurt. If you or I, or anybody else we know landed in jail, they wouldn't let us out after three days because we were looking a bit peeky. The judge had every right to go mental. His authority had been questioned and he had been made to look like a fool. As for jail, the accommodation is lousy, the food is terrible, the clientele dubious and the staff rude and unfriendly. That sounds exactly like the Hilton Hotel in my hometown. :)) At least she’s in LA.

If you think about, since she turned herself into jail, Paris herself has done nothing that I could think was wrong. That she got released was not Paris. That was the Sheriff releasing her. It wasn't like she told the Sheriff, she would give him an autographed picture for her release. She was told to go home. Do you think she should have told them: "I'm not going, whether you like it or not?" Actually that's almost funny, what would they do: "If you don't get out of here, we'll arrest you and put you in jail!!! LOL" See, she was sent home. Then the next day, she was sent back again. What did she do wrong there? As a matter of fact, she released a statement that evening through her publicist that she was going to serve the whole time, even though it was tough. Am I missing something here???
    John Drake wrote:

The media might build people up, to knock them down, but the only thing they love more than doing that, is seeing a star get back on their feet. They love comebacks. If Paris does the time quietly, then she’ll do well out of this. She’ll earn a lot of respect from people and afterwards an interview with Barbara Walters is waiting for her, where she can hold that little copy of the bible and maybe even quote from it, be penitent and talk about having grown as a person. I predict that in a year’s time she’ll be even more famous and starring in a remake of Caged Heat.

I never saw Caged Heat. I'll hope that she'll hold a copy of the Bible in her hand. Actually, that she'll read it and obeys it. That would be a changed Paris and I'd be happier than a dog with two tales!

But again, thank you for your thoughtful reply. You definitely put a lot of time and thoughts into it and I appreciate your reply very much, because it did help me and I hope that my reply doesn't come accross as not accepting or very much appreciating that reply. (Now, I need to learn how to put the smiley faces in there with the cheer!!!.) So, I'll just go with the :-) I know that one!!!

Kees
    edited June 2007
    We often live in a lowest-common-denominator society. A portion of the media has always fueled this (how old is the National Enquirer?) and with the advent of first cable TV and then the internet, the media does so ever more relentlessly. Paris Hilton has usually played into their hands because she likes the spotlight. Perhaps now she wishes she hadn't, but when you strive to become famous for nothing more than being famous, this is the risk you take. It's ironic that she's not in jail for drunk driving, but rather for a parole violation. Kind of like Martha Stewart, who was sent up not for insider trading, but for lying to government investigators who asked her about it.

I hope that Paris Hilton (like Hai Fat :D) has a "useful, happy, long life". I would wish that for anyone. However, having flaunted herself via the media to the general public for years, she should be realistic enough not to expect sympathy from either -- much of the media are only interested in perpetuating anything that leads to a "story", and much of the public are simply jealous of her money and carefree life.

Yes, I think it will take some time for the media and society to really accept her. Interesting that you bring that up. I see that a lot with celebrities. They get in trouble for one thing, but society thinks that it for another thing. Classic example also being President Clinton, who didn't get impeached for his relationship with Monica, but for lying under oath.

Thank you for replying!!! :-)

Kees
    Alex wrote:
    No emphathy here.

Paris Hilton can be mean-spirited. Watch the simple life where she humiliates and ridicules over-weight people.

A month and a half in jail is hardly the end of the world - Stop crying and get over that. When you're on a suspended licensce - you don't take the car for a joyride. (twice!)

The only thing, I have to say about reality shows is that they aren't real and in many ways aren't shows. The same overweight people that you mentioned were on Larry King later on and menitoned how in real life, Paris was just extremely kind and intelligent.

Thank you though. I appreciate your input.

Kees
    edited June 2007
    kees007 wrote:
    But again, thank you for your thoughtful reply. You definitely put a lot of time and thoughts into it and I appreciate your reply very much, because it did help me and I hope that my reply doesn't come accross as not accepting or very much appreciating that reply. (Now, I need to learn how to put the smiley faces in there with the cheer!!!.) So, I'll just go with the :-) I know that one!!!

Kees

{[] Kees. Your reply was excellent. We definitely have different views on Paris Hilton. However, I do think she will emerge from this with a great deal of credit and be able to use what has happened over the last month to her advantage. As for my preference for Lindsey Lohan, well, that's probably down to my love of redheads. :D
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    edited June 2007
    My views about Paris is this. I don't particularly care. I don't think she's the monster that she's made out to be (I was a little surprised that some people made fun of her for calling for her mother, as if there's anything wrong with that), but, I also can't understand why some people seem to like her when, really, she's famous for just being famous.
    kees007 wrote:
    My main concern though was not so much, who was talented, but how Paris was treated at the event. Some of these same people are protesting when some prisoners of war, who are terrorists are being humiliated, yet they don't mind tearing up Paris at the MTV Music Awards.
    I agree with you that it was infair for her to have been made fun of (although I haven't seen the show and have only heard about it), but I don't think that this has anything to do with the treatment of prisoners of war. ;)
    John Drake wrote:
    As for my preference for Lindsey Lohan, well, that's probably down to my love of redheads. :D
    Alot of people think she's good looking. What I can't understand is why some people seem to think that Paris is good looking. ?:) To me, she looks like a plastic doll. :))
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    edited June 2007
    Dan Same wrote:
    My views about Paris is this. I don't particularly care. I don't think she's the monster that she's made out to be (I was a little surprised that some people made fun of her for calling for her mother, as if there's anything wrong with that), but, I also can't understand why some people seem to like her when, really, she's famous for just being famous.
    kees007 wrote:
    My main concern though was not so much, who was talented, but how Paris was treated at the event. Some of these same people are protesting when some prisoners of war, who are terrorists are being humiliated, yet they don't mind tearing up Paris at the MTV Music Awards.
    I agree with you that it was infair for her to have been made fun of (although I haven't seen the show and have only heard about it), but I don't think that this has anything to do with the treatment of prisoners of war. ;)

What I was saying is that some of these people, who were cheering, when they found out that she was going to jail and were all excited about the public humiliation that Paris was going through are the same people, who are all concerned about the humane treatment for terrorists, who are trying to kill us. They don't mind humiliating Paris, but they do mind humiliating the terrorists. I'm not saying that we should humiliate anyone, just pointing out the contrast.

John Drake wrote:
    As for my preference for Lindsey Lohan, well, that's probably down to my love of redheads. :D
    Alot of people think she's good looking. What I can't understand is why some people seem to think that Paris is good looking. ?:) To me, she looks like a plastic doll. :))[/quote]

Hmmm. Well, as far as that is concerned beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm not concerned about that, if she got an accident and her face was totally disfigured, I would say the exact same thing.

Kees
    John Drake wrote:
    kees007 wrote:

Kees

{[] Kees. Your reply was excellent. We definitely have different views on Paris Hilton. However, I do think she will emerge from this with a great deal of credit and be able to use what has happened over the last month to her advantage. As for my preference for Lindsey Lohan, well, that's probably down to my love of redheads. :D

Thank you, I appreciate that. You know if it was Lindsey Lohan in the same situation, I'd say the same thing. I've communicated with Paris some and somehow in the midst of this, I really feel that she has a bit of a softer heart toward this and I hope and pray that she will come out of this going in the direction that she's recently professed to go in.

Kees
  • General_OurumovGeneral_Ourumov United KingdomPosts: 861MI6 Agent
    edited June 2007
    Alex wrote:
    No emphathy here.

Total agreement with this. I have absolutely zero sympathy for the girl. She drank under the influence, and people who do that get put in jail. She is no different to anyone else, despite what she thinks of herself.

This is pure genius;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrYuM7r2dTk

Did any of you read in the news that she set up a petition for her fans to sign, to oppose her getting put in jail? Yeah, one of the reasons we should apparently have signed is that "She provides beauty and excitement to (most of) our otherwise mundane lives". Frankly, my life is not mundane, and will be less from the moment she never appears on our screens again in any way, shape or form! ;)

Other than that, she's great! :)) And don't even get me started on Lohan...!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Society is addicted to and force fed celeb junk, then hates the celebrities as a consequence. And if there's no obvious talent, they'll get their enjoyment from some other way, in a meanspirited way.

An awful lot of celebs out there just don't have any product in recent years that Joe Public is gonna enjoy. Sinatra was a brute in his heyday but you could sort of overlook it cos his music was great. Even Clooney tends to do films that Joe Public doesn't really care about, like The Good German and so on. The ratio to product/fame is very distorted.

Contrast Brit actor David Jason whose repeats of Only Fools, Frost, Open All Hours and even Porridge get reshown plenty, but you don't see him on chat shows or turning up at premieres much.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Watch this news presenter go nuts at having to cover the Paris Hilton story. :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VdNcCcweL0

Journalistic integrity. Pah! I think she was playing up for the cameras. :))
  • Willie GarvinWillie Garvin Posts: 1,412MI6 Agent
    edited June 2007
    John Drake wrote:
    Watch this news presenter go nuts at having to cover the Paris Hilton story. :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VdNcCcweL0

Journalistic integrity. Pah! I think she was playing up for the cameras. :))

No!Really?Whatever makes you say that,John?

But seriously,I'm with you and Alex and Dan in not caring one bit about poor Paris and her horrible travails.I'd like to feel sorry for her-after all,in four years she'll be 30.She's just a child.Maybe in the future she'll actually pay her tickets like everybody else does.What am I saying?When Paris is 75 years old, she'll probably still hate that mean old judge who dared to put her--of all people--behind bars.Who did he think he was,anyway?

Maybe there'll be a feature motion picture in the story of Paris' grave ordeal.Maybe something with Scarlet Johannson or Rose McGowan as Paris.Co-starring Nicholas Cage as Sheriff Baca and Billy Crystal as The Evil Judge.A grim account of one woman's survival against nearly impossible odds.The TRUE story as written by Paul Haggis and Quentin Tarantino, with the assistance of Mel Brooks and directed by Steven Spielberg and Robert Rodriquez.:v :o
    Hmmm. Interesting.

If I were to cast that:

Alison Michalka........ Paris
    Bobby Duvall...........Sheriff Baca
    Bobby Dunero........... Judge Sauer
    Ron Lea............... Elliott Mintz
    Ashlie Brillault.........Nicky Hilton (Especially the way her hair is right now.)
    Rosie O'Donnell..........Nancy Grace

Kees