Daftest decision by the film makers?

124»

Comments

• dougie007dougie007 FalkirkPosts: 45MI6 Agent
    actonsteve wrote:
    dougie007 wrote:
    I don't think anybody has mentioned this...
    Octopussy - in the jungle - lion jumps out of the bushes - Bond tells it to sit. Dear Lord!!!

Why do I love these films so much?

Er, it was a Bengal tiger.There are lions in India up near Gujarat at the Gir Forest. But that was definitely a tiger..

Thanks actonsteve - I thought was it a lion or tiger? I knew I had picked the wrong one. You guys are really on the ball.
    A genuine Felix Leiter - illuminating

Live & Let Die - 1973
  • Walther PPKWalther PPK Posts: 180MI6 Agent
    I would say putting Blofeld in drag also ranks up there on my list too Georgie Boy (Sorry I spelled that wrong.) Also having Diamonds Are Forever, Live And Let Die and The Man With The Golden Gun go over board in the comedy department has always puzzled me,of course it's Tom Mankiewicz 's fault as he liked the campy humor and not Cubby or Harry's.

Also the Tarzan yell in Octopussy was really dumb, I would expect it in something like Spy Hard, or another off the wall comedy type film, not James Bond.
  • AngryPolarBearAngryPolarBear Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    I hope the brave stunt man performing that crazy car jump in TMWTGG never forgave whoever added that ridiculous whistle sound. I mean, a man risk's his career and life for an amazing stunt, and some ignorant fool just destroys that whole moment. It's nothing funny about it, just a big shame.
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 240MI6 Agent
    I suppose in a franchise that has lasted 45 years and 21 movies the producers could have made a lot more daft decisions.

OHMSS

The 'this never happened to the other fellow' line. Totally undermined that we were watching the same character.

DAF

The first slide on the slippery slope for Bond that wasn't really rectified until TLD.

The plot. An 8 foot high satalite would be lucky if it could project a lazer beam powerful enough to light a cigarette never mind destroy a submarine.

Blofeld. Charles Gray was totally miscast. He was more urban than Bond and lacked any menace.

Wint and Kidd. Camp and funny rather than deadly. They should have been like two Grant's.

Felix Leiter. Norman Burton totally miscast.

Blofeld in drag. Come on.

The last quarter. The fight on the oil rig - hardly rates with the ninja attack on the volcano or the assault on Piz Gloria. The death of Blofeld - total anti climax. The fight with Wint and Kidd on the liner. Hardly rates with the fight with Grant or Oddjob.

LALD

Kananga inflating, shooting up to the ceiling and exploding. Might be a good way for a villian to die in a Power Rangers movie but not James Bond.

The total waste of New Orleans as a location. A blink and you miss it glimpse of Bourbon Street.

TMWTGG

Picking Christopher Lee to play the villian and then not making him villianous.

The whistling music for the car jump.

Hip driving off and leaving Bond.

The final duel between Bond and Scaramanga. Boring rather than exciting.

The fight with Nic Nak aboard the boat. Cringe making.

The writing on Mary Goodnight as a bimbo who sticks her backside on any button which says do not push rather than as a compotent member of MI6.

Bringing back JW Pepper.

TSWLM

Jaws surviving.

MR

The whole movie. Where to start.

Putting Bond into space. A few steps to far.

Bringing back Jaws. The giving him a girlfriend. Pass the sick bag.

Ruining a brilliant PTS by putting Jaws in it. Should have finished when Bond took the parachute from the pilot.

Bond's camera. He's a secret agent so he had his number on his miniture camera.

The gondola chase. Boring and then embarassing when it turns into a hovercraft and goes through St. Marks square.

Bond not carrying his Walther PPK throughout the entire movie. When Jaws comes up on the other cable car all Bond had to do was shoot him, but he couldn't because for some reason he went through this mission without a gun.

Essentially the excess of the movie - the producers just didn't know where to stop.

FYEO

Not changing to another actor then. Would have been ideal for TD.

Again spoiling an excellent PTS by the silly ending 'I'll buy you a delicatessent in stainless steel' - FFS.

The inclusion of the Thatchers at the end.

OP

The lurch back to comedy rather than retaining the more serious nature of FYEO. Spoiled what could have been a tense cold war thriller.

Again keeping RM.

The chase through the streets in India. Silly rather than exciting.

The tarzan cry. Why not just put a flashing neon sign of his head saying 'I'm here -shoot me'.

The attack on Kamal's palace by Octopussy's girls. Like the end of a Disney film when the children attack the crookes.

AVTAK

Keeping Roger Moore. He looked like he had been embalmed.

Casting Tanya Roberts. The worst Bond girl ever.
    Essentially useless bimbo.

Ruining the PTS with the beach boys music.

The fire engine chase - boring. Does every American policeman know that James Bond is a british agent.

Turning May Day into a goodie. If Bond wasn't being played by an actor who was too old for the action bits there could have been a great fight between JB and MD.

TLD

Naming one of the villians Brad Whittaker. Hardly rates alongside Auric Goldfinger or Francesco Scaramanga.

LTK

Turning what should have been a double episode of Miami vice into a Bond movie.

Michael Kamen's score.

TND

Jonathan Pryce totaly miscast.

Stamper underused. The final fight with JB practically none existant.

TWINE

Casting Denise Richards as a scientist. She looks like she couldn't spell H2O.

DAD

Nearly the whole movie.

The invisible car.

The decision to use CGI, and then having used it doing it so badly. Looked like the CGI budget was about $500.

Well those are my gripes.
  • Walther PPKWalther PPK Posts: 180MI6 Agent
    I was always puzzled as to whom is the main villain in The Living Daylights, though thanks to every on e hear it seams like Whittaker is the main villian thought I wish the script was a little more clear on that, and he needed to do more than play with his toy soldiers. Plus in act two Koskov(Spelling?)asode from setting up the drug deal the Snowleopard Brotherhood has little to do, and how did he walk away from the car/plane crash with minor cuts and bruises?

Also who ever thought up the "Yo momma" in DAD should not be allowed to write for the series again, who says that line anyway besides school kids on the playground.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    Also who ever thought up the "Yo momma" in DAD should not be allowed to write for the series again, who says that line anyway besides school kids on the playground.

Well, secret agents for the NSA talk like that. I was just a little upset that Jinx never said "whatcha talkin' 'bout Bond" - I think if she had then everybody's dislike of the movie would have rolled away.
  • youknowmynameyouknowmyname Gainesville, FL, USAPosts: 703MI6 Agent
    Mailfist wrote:
    I suppose in a franchise that has lasted 45 years and 21 movies the producers could have made a lot more daft decisions.

OHMSS

The 'this never happened to the other fellow' line. Totally undermined that we were watching the same character.

DAF

The first slide on the slippery slope for Bond that wasn't really rectified until TLD.

The plot. An 8 foot high satalite would be lucky if it could project a lazer beam powerful enough to light a cigarette never mind destroy a submarine.

Blofeld. Charles Gray was totally miscast. He was more urban than Bond and lacked any menace.

Wint and Kidd. Camp and funny rather than deadly. They should have been like two Grant's.

Felix Leiter. Norman Burton totally miscast.

Blofeld in drag. Come on.

The last quarter. The fight on the oil rig - hardly rates with the ninja attack on the volcano or the assault on Piz Gloria. The death of Blofeld - total anti climax. The fight with Wint and Kidd on the liner. Hardly rates with the fight with Grant or Oddjob.

LALD

Kananga inflating, shooting up to the ceiling and exploding. Might be a good way for a villian to die in a Power Rangers movie but not James Bond.

The total waste of New Orleans as a location. A blink and you miss it glimpse of Bourbon Street.

TMWTGG

Picking Christopher Lee to play the villian and then not making him villianous.

The whistling music for the car jump.

Hip driving off and leaving Bond.

The final duel between Bond and Scaramanga. Boring rather than exciting.

The fight with Nic Nak aboard the boat. Cringe making.

The writing on Mary Goodnight as a bimbo who sticks her backside on any button which says do not push rather than as a compotent member of MI6.

Bringing back JW Pepper.

TSWLM

Jaws surviving.

MR

The whole movie. Where to start.

Putting Bond into space. A few steps to far.

Bringing back Jaws. The giving him a girlfriend. Pass the sick bag.

Ruining a brilliant PTS by putting Jaws in it. Should have finished when Bond took the parachute from the pilot.

Bond's camera. He's a secret agent so he had his number on his miniture camera.

The gondola chase. Boring and then embarassing when it turns into a hovercraft and goes through St. Marks square.

Bond not carrying his Walther PPK throughout the entire movie. When Jaws comes up on the other cable car all Bond had to do was shoot him, but he couldn't because for some reason he went through this mission without a gun.

Essentially the excess of the movie - the producers just didn't know where to stop.

FYEO

Not changing to another actor then. Would have been ideal for TD.

Again spoiling an excellent PTS by the silly ending 'I'll buy you a delicatessent in stainless steel' - FFS.

The inclusion of the Thatchers at the end.

OP

The lurch back to comedy rather than retaining the more serious nature of FYEO. Spoiled what could have been a tense cold war thriller.

Again keeping RM.

The chase through the streets in India. Silly rather than exciting.

The tarzan cry. Why not just put a flashing neon sign of his head saying 'I'm here -shoot me'.

The attack on Kamal's palace by Octopussy's girls. Like the end of a Disney film when the children attack the crookes.

AVTAK

Keeping Roger Moore. He looked like he had been embalmed.

Casting Tanya Roberts. The worst Bond girl ever.
    Essentially useless bimbo.

Ruining the PTS with the beach boys music.

The fire engine chase - boring. Does every American policeman know that James Bond is a british agent.

Turning May Day into a goodie. If Bond wasn't being played by an actor who was too old for the action bits there could have been a great fight between JB and MD.

TLD

Naming one of the villians Brad Whittaker. Hardly rates alongside Auric Goldfinger or Francesco Scaramanga.

LTK

Turning what should have been a double episode of Miami vice into a Bond movie.

Michael Kamen's score.

TND

Jonathan Pryce totaly miscast.

Stamper underused. The final fight with JB practically none existant.

TWINE

Casting Denise Richards as a scientist. She looks like she couldn't spell H2O.

DAD

Nearly the whole movie.

The invisible car.

The decision to use CGI, and then having used it doing it so badly. Looked like the CGI budget was about $500.

Well those are my gripes.

Quite possibly one of the longest and most thought out gripes on this thread "Fist" I enjoyed reading through it and laughing at some moments. There really have been some daft decisions, but I think it's part of the fun eh? we all keep coming back for more.

Watch out on those AVTAK comments, JFF will get ya! ;) With that said, the part about RM looking embalmed had me laugh out loud in my office...so funny. :))

I agree with you on a lot of your points, I would just add a couple here and there, including on FYEO killing off Blofeld in the manner they did. I would disagree on TMWTGG though and say that he was a villian, just not as strong as he could've been. Your point about Goodnight thought is spot on. Well, I could go through this whole list again and again and again. Good stuff!
    "We have all the time in the world..."
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    taity wrote:
    I was just a little upset that Jinx never said "whatcha talkin' 'bout Bond"

:)) :)) :))
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    Mailfist wrote:
    OHMSS

I completely agree. I hated this line, and IMO it spoiled what was otherwise a magnificent PTS. :#
    Mailfist wrote:
    TSWLM

Jaws surviving.
    Do you base your view on his involvement in MR or do you simply dislike that he survived? By that I mean, if he hadn't had a girlfriend and was less silly in MR, would you have a different opinion on this?
    CTrent49 wrote:
    I thought that the first half of DAD was pretty damn good.
    I thought the first half was almost as bad as the second. In the first half (up to the fencing scene) Bond was captured and failed to escape, we met Jinx, we met Graves, we met Jinx, there was the stupid conversations between Bond and M about her intervention and we met Jinx. :s Plus, we had that title song from Madonna.
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 240MI6 Agent
    Hi Youknowmyname - thanks for the compliments. Totally agree with you about Scaramanga. Apparently Christopher Lee wanted to play him more villianous but was told by the director to lighten it.

Hi CTrent49 - I didn't mention any of the earlier films because any of my niggles with them are only minor. It was really from DAF (which was more like a RM Bond movie than a SC)that in my opinion the really daft decisions crept in. I only included that line from OHMSS because it annoys me so much.

Hi Dan Same - I think Jaws was a bit of 'a one trick pony' and should have died in the shark tank in TSWLM, but I could have lived with him in MR better if he had been more of a villian and less like a Daffy Duck cartoon figure who is not really evil just grumpy and survives everthing that is thrown at him. Basically I hate MR.

I'm new to this forum and having a great time with all you other Bond fans.
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,257MI6 Agent
    I read this whole thread and, frankly, now I dont even know where to start.....