Broccoli vs. Saltzman

Does anybody have any opinions on what these two men brought to Bond and who was the most significant?

Am I right in thinking that they collaberated fairly closely on those early flms? Then Broccoli controlled DAF and TMWTGG and Saltzman took charge of LALD. It's interesting that Saltzman's film is considered to be far superior to the other two.

After Broccoli took sole charge, I think that standards slipped a little. Suddenly his wife was making casting suggestions and nepotism started to creep in. I also think that there was a lack of people entering the series from outside.

Whether Saltzman's continued involvement would have brought different results though i don't know.

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,475Chief of Staff
    edited June 2007
    Neither of the two were 100% happy about a partnership in the first place. Broccoli in particular had just ended a partnership with Irving Allen and was keen to strike out on his own- only Saltzman's pipping him at the post for the Fleming rights brought about their deal.

Their division of labour (to avoid ever more frequent conflicts) started before DAF. It became the practice for one to go out on location, oversee shooting, etc, while the other remained in the office and both men would alternate these roles.

"Nepotism" is perhaps putting things a little too strongly. Michael G. Wilson was working as a lawyer and it would only be natural for Broccoli to involve his own family resources when legal problems arose in the mid-70s (the conflicts concerning Saltzman and McClory). Since Wilson was therefore already involved by the time Broccoli took sole control of EON, working as his father's assistant on TSWLM would be a reasonable step- Cubby would be pushing 70 at this point and having one's son help out isn't strange in any line of business. As time went on, Wilson's role grew larger and of course his younger sister Barbara became involved as well- basically taking the load from their aging parent with a view to taking over one day. This happens in many businesses and families; if Broccoli hadn't involved MGW and BB during his lifetime, they would have inherited EON on his death and not had the experience they gained working under him.

(I've missed out "step" and "half" from the family relationships to keep things simple.)
  • Nicko1234Nicko1234 Posts: 74MI6 Agent
    I actually don't thik that Michael G. Wilson has done a bad job with Bond but franchises do not normally give writing jobs to relatives of the boss. He did well though for all that.

I also think there was a hint of incest (that's not the right word but the best i can think of) about the company at that time. There seemed to be a desire to promote people from within rather than to look outside. Now again that's not necessarily a bad idea but perhaps that contributed to some of the ridiculous things appearing in Bond movies in the 1970s and 1980s. There weren't enough people who could take a step back and be subjective.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Nicko1234 wrote:
    I also think there was a hint of incest (that's not the right word

Definitely not the right word. :))
  • Nicko1234Nicko1234 Posts: 74MI6 Agent
    :))

I know. It's not my fault, I had no education. I went to art college.
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Nicko1234 wrote:
    :))

I know. It's not my fault, I had no education. I went to art college.

{[] Fair enough. :)) I think you were right with the nepotism stuff. But then Cubby was big on family. I think that's why so many of the people stayed and enjoyed working with Eon. I can't think of anybody who ever had something bad to say about Cubby.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,475Chief of Staff
    Nicko1234 wrote:
    franchises do not normally give writing jobs to relatives of the boss.

Well, that's not entirely true. Blake Edwards is perhaps the best example- in charge of the Pink Panther franchise he used his son as a writer (as well as his daughter as an actress and more forgivably a cameo from his wife). Also, Peter Jackson's wife was a writer on The Lord Of The Rings.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    I think if one wanted to, one could fault Cubby for making decisions more with an eye towards saving his own ass than making exciting action-adventure Bond thrillers, but that's very subjective and really rather pointless: the series has endured, in no small part because of what he made of it. Certainly nice to have a decent Bond film in CR in the cinemas after so long a dry spell, but again that too is more to taste. Glad his kids got the experiences in the business they did, seems to have paid off bigtime. It's a great time to be a Bond fan IMO.